Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2022, 16:35   #46
Full Member+

Re: In the national interest....

Actually I think I would pin my vote on the minister who resigned in the Lords (can't think of his name) for being told to forget about tracing 8.4 billion in fraud during the pandemic. Now there was a guy with some principles.
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-02-2022, 18:14   #47
Beacon of light

I think you might mean Lord David Frost.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 18:20   #48
Beacon of light

Oh yes, Sunak has eyes on the job of PM and what do you know Munira Mira is a pal of his.
As I said there is no loyalty within the political circles.
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
Old 03-02-2022, 18:57   #49
Full Member+

Lord Agnew who delivered a passionate resignation speech accusing the treasury of having "little interest in the consequences of fraud to our society." Not the most well known figure but I did admire his commitment.
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 19:20   #50
Beacon of light

I know nothing of Lord Agnew….and I watch quite a lot of Parliamentary debates.
This is one I must have missed….so I cannot comment on whether he would be a good candidate or not.
However, I do not think that principles are enough….there has to be an element of cut and thrust.

Also in a previous post my device converted Munira Mirza to Munira Mira.
Well, that is my excuse and I am sticking to it.
Old 04-02-2022, 01:22   #51

That's a few of the old posters back. Thanks....
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 01:28   #52

My health has zip to play. I asked a genuine question, Less took it as a dig at me because he's talking for someone else , I question it. Have you actually read the pathetic nonsense. ANYWAY I GOT 4 PAGES AND #50 REPLIES.
Old 04-02-2022, 01:29   #53

Keep going Accringtonweb!!!
Old 04-02-2022, 08:52   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Sorry, I thought that you suggesting these meant that you felt they would be suitable….as for the backbenchers…they are backbenchers for a reason….they have little or no track records to qualify them for the role….and we have nothing much other than perhaps a speech or two to judge them by.

I wonder if people ever watch the daily doings in Parliament…it is most enlightening eye opening.
I sometimes wonder how some of those representing us managed to get into the PoW….yes they were elected…I,know, but how?
its because people either vote for the party itself or its leader. how many actually know the name of their MP but know which party he represents at the time of the election. i know mine, but unlike years ago i have no idea of the names of the ones bordering my constituency. know some do not agree with me but its all about the leader nowadays.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 14:07   #55
Beacon of light

I know both….and I do not have a party allegiance either for national or local politics.
I carefully consider where my X goes.
I try to place it in the box of the person who tells me the things that are going to improve my life…..and I look for the evidence to support these promises.
I am not Labour….but I have voted for them in the past…..for a local man who I thought was well placed to know and understand the needs of the area…..and would work on our behalf to improve the town.
That was a mistake…..I have voted Tory…..a bit begrudgingly, I have spoiled my paper a few times….I don’t think I have voted for the Lib Dems……and I KNW I haven’t ever voted for the Green Party.
There are too many politicians who are in it for themselves….career politicians who have no real interest in the lives of the ‘little people’ that the represent.
Old 04-02-2022, 14:35   #56
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

No party other than boris lot said they would honour the brexit vote, so they can all get stuffed for me.apart from boris and his crew, i am very sad to say that but i do NOT say anything i do not mean.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 04-02-2022, 16:51   #57
Beacon of light

Sunak is showing his true colours…..and I feel that Mirza quit to cosy up to Sunak in case he gets the top job.
Old 06-02-2022, 09:42   #58
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
No party other than boris lot said they would honour the brexit vote, so they can all get stuffed for me.apart from boris and his crew, i am very sad to say that but i do NOT say anything i do not mean.
but a new leader may show less interest in green policies and the net zero impossibility.
Old 06-02-2022, 10:03   #59
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
but a new leader may show less interest in green policies and the net zero impossibility.
that want sorting but boris was elected to get us out of the E.U. simple as that comes later imho.
Old 06-02-2022, 10:48   #60
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
that want sorting but boris was elected to get us out of the E.U. simple as that comes later imho.
Well credit for him for doing that, but this green agenda affects us more in our daily lives and future far more than brexit really did. Cannot see that leaving the EU really affected my life for good or evil but this green rubbish will certainly do both financial and how we wish to live our lives. Would have to suck it up if the world followed us which will not happen. Some countries will be laughing at it all the way to the bank and cannot wait for it to happen.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..