Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-08-2008, 18:20   #16
God Member

Re: Is coming second the worst way to lose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
“nobody remembers the runner up”. That is just a phrase dreamed up by coaches to try and motivate their charges. Of course people remember runners up. They also remember who came last.

Do you remember Eddie “The Eagle” Edwards? Not exactly a winner was he?

How many people remember Tim Henman?
Eddie "The Eagle" ... doesn't everyone remember him And the Jamaican bob sled team ... glorious losers Kingstonian Simon Whitfield has just won the silver medal in the triathlon; here are his comments quoted in the local rag: He said of the winner, German Jan Frodeno: "I watched him and felt truly happy for him, because I knew, as did others, that it was only a matter of time before Jan busted out with a great race. It's just too bad he busted out in this race and at my expense, but that's sport."
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-08-2008, 18:23   #17
God Member

Has anyone noticed that the Yanks are not too happy about lying second in the Olympic medals table? In fact, most of their sports channels are showing a medals table with the US on top, on the basis that they have two more medals overall than the Chinese. As for us poor Brits, we're at number four, below the Russkies. Have a look at the CNN website to see what I mean.

Personally, I'm amazed at the Chinese medal total. I can only suggest that Western methods of detecting an illegal steroid presence cannot cope with Chinese herbal medicine or alternatively, there is something to be said for a diet of boiled rice and deep fried chicken foot.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 19:09   #18
Junior Member+

People scoff at the 'losers' in any form of competition, and yet to have lost means you're out there taking part, putting in the hours and commitment to bettering yourself. I've been there and done it, and I'd rather do that and come second than be fat, lazy and opinionated!
Andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 19:15   #19
God Member

Success is counted sweetest
By those who ne'er succeed.
To comprehend a nectar
Requires sorest need.

Not one of all the purple host
Who took the flag today
Can tell the definition,
So clear, of victory,

As he, defeated, dying,
On whose forbidden ear
The distant strains of triumph
Break, agonized and clear.
Old 20-08-2008, 23:42   #20
white rabbits

I hate the saying,,"CLOSE BUT NO CIGAR",,who feels like a cigar when you lose
Old 21-08-2008, 00:02   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andym View Post
People scoff at the 'losers' in any form of competition, and yet to have lost means you're out there taking part, putting in the hours and commitment to bettering yourself. I've been there and done it, and I'd rather do that and come second than be fat, lazy and opinionated!
yeh aint the only one around thats been there n done it, i have way back, aint fat,lazy, but i was still a Loser, second is a loser its that simple.
Old 21-08-2008, 00:42   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
I hate the saying,,"CLOSE BUT NO CIGAR",,who feels like a cigar when you lose
What about the other saying: "Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades".
Old 21-08-2008, 02:15   #23
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
What about the other saying: "Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades".
Thats a new one on me
Old 21-08-2008, 03:00   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
Thats a new one on me
You have to learn Canadian, eh. And you have to play horse shoes

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..