Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-2008, 20:08   #1
God Member

Is coming second the worst way to lose?

Yes, it's losing but it's almost winning!

There are two ways to come second - the first way is to be magnanimous in defeat and be pleased that you were beaten by a better opponent, the other way (as the British female rowing team did) is to weep and wail and say that you should really have been first so you're gutted at being second!

I have some experience of this

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-08-2008, 20:09   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Is coming second the worst way to lose?

I would say failing to finish is worse than coming second lol

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 20:10   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post

There are two ways to come second - the first way is to be magnanimous in defeat and be pleased that you were beaten by a better opponent, the other way (as the British female rowing team did) is to weep and wail and say that you should really have been first so you're gutted at being second!

The labour party will...next time round

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 20:10   #4
God Member

it all depends on how many are in the 'race' if theres only 2 then your last and you've lost
Old 19-08-2008, 20:41   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

coming second aint the worst way i think,but its still no good. cos yer a LOSER
Old 19-08-2008, 20:45   #6
God Member

Its not the winning thats important, Its the taking part.... or summat like that anyway lmao!!!!! Always hated coming 2nd 3rd 4th 5th etc etc etc.....
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 21:00   #7
Resting in Peace

Just means to me that you were very close to coming first and, maybe, next time ...... Be magnanimous, but grit your teeth and say to yourself.. just wait 'til the next time !! Think there is always an initial reaction of disappointment through not quite getting there .. emotion of the moment with some people, which hopefully should subside. Like the song "Pick yourself up, and start all over again"

Gayle, get over coming second in a certain situation, be more determined next time .. gather though from your posts, you do not wish a next time ... shame.

What would you say to Maddie or Zak coming 2nd in the egg and spoon race ... easy answer, isn't it.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 21:23   #8

if you come second youve gotta be graceful in defeat. Yeah it was a shame that the lasses came second but they were beaten by a better team. Nothing you can do about that. I only got upset at losing when i knew i hadnt done my best!!!!

Have you seen me dancing, i mean really dancing!!!

Claire Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 21:47   #9
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Is coming second the worst way to lose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post

To answer your question Gayle, there is no shame in not winning.

Not coming first means that on the day you weren’t good enough to win for whatever reason. If you KNOW that you did your best then just congratulate the winner and remind him/her that if it weren’t for all the other competitors there wouldn’t have been a race.
Old 19-08-2008, 22:25   #10
God Member

If not coming first bothered me I would never go in the arcade again. Can't even get in the top ten in there
Old 19-08-2008, 22:30   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

agree congratulate the winner, but yer still lost.
Old 20-08-2008, 09:04   #12
Resting in Peace

There is no shame in coming second, but there is another term which says nobody remembers the runner up. Unfortunately some people can't bare to lose in sport, especially football suporters
Old 20-08-2008, 09:34   #13
Senior Member+

When I was younger and used to do athletics (not that I was really great at it but I always tried my best) I did a long distnace run round the town centre a few times, my sister took part in this also. She was the first girl back in her age group, me on the other hand decided that kerbs are a great way of spraining ankles and always a good thing to do when running but I finished that race, it almost killed me and i was in agony and tears by the end but I was going to finish!! Many people didnt finish, and yes I was last but I fininshed and got a far bigger applaud that the person who came first. Probably the limping jog over the finish line didnt help and it was probably out of sympathy for me but I was so proud of myself, as were my family that I had finished the fact that I came last meant absolutely nothing

Its the taking part and trying your best that counts, winning is just a bonus
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 13:34   #14
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Is coming second the worst way to lose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
There is no shame in coming second, but there is another term which says nobody remembers the runner up. Unfortunately some people can't bare to lose in sport, especially football suporters
“nobody remembers the runner up”. That is just a phrase dreamed up by coaches to try and motivate their charges. Of course people remember runners up. They also remember who came last.

Do you remember Eddie “The Eagle” Edwards? Not exactly a winner was he?

How many people remember Tim Henman?
Old 20-08-2008, 16:28   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
“nobody remembers the runner up”. That is just a phrase dreamed up by coaches to try and motivate their charges. Of course people remember runners up. They also remember who came last.

Do you remember Eddie “The Eagle” Edwards? Not exactly a winner was he?

How many people remember Tim Henman?
Well the two you mentioned were well known losers, Eddie was a joke figure, and Tim was a guy everybody wanted to win, but deep down knew that he wouldn't

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..