Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Outside sporting events, are flags seen as right-wing?
Yes, those who fly them are right-wing. 2 5.71%
No, they have no connotation to extremism. 28 80.00%
Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. 5 14.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-06-2010, 05:45   #31
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Is flying the national flag racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

I posted earlier that I've never flown a flag. I was wrong. We once had a boat which had a flag pole, and I spent two months spending money buying a Red Ensign to fly from it.

The next time I'm all at sea, I'll run it up again.

Red Ensign Eh? Just as I thought, YOU are a Communist Racist!

How Racist is the white Ensign? Union & St Georges Flag combined!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-06-2010, 06:23   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
No. I don't think it is. I believe the PM should have raised the Union flag, not St George. Customarily there is more than England at the finals. Interestingly if just Northern Ireland qualified, would the PM fly the Irish St George flag give the high value of the tentative peace deal?
Bit over sensitive that Graham, its 2010 World Cup Finals, only 1 of the 4 home nations are playing, whats the problem, I'm sure if another country were to have been in South Africa, protocol wouldn't have allowed the Cross of St George to be flown over Downing Street
Old 19-06-2010, 09:32   #33
Senior Member+

I wanted to put my Spanish flag in my window but knowing how patriotic English are i dont see the point as the only thing i would get is abuse, and ok maybe some people see that as fair as i livein your country but we dont give abuse to the british people that come over to Spain and wave the English flag everywhere... just a comment ha
Yolanda25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 09:56   #34
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolanda25 View Post
I wanted to put my Spanish flag in my window but knowing how patriotic English are i dont see the point as the only thing i would get is abuse, and ok maybe some people see that as fair as i livein your country but we dont give abuse to the british people that come over to Spain and wave the English flag everywhere... just a comment ha
Fill yer boots Yo, I do here in Germany Spain are still in & playing don't let the few small minded idiots who may say something bother you, there are plenty of other Brits about who'll just grin & accept it. If it helps put up a George cross along side of it, there you go supporting your Country of origin & your Country of residence, who'd argue that one ??? Small minded indeed they'd be.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 10:01   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I wanted to put my Spanish flag in my window but knowing how patriotic English are i don't see the point as the only thing i would get is abuse, and ok maybe some people see that as fair as i livein your country but we dont give abuse to the british people that come over to Spain and wave the English flag everywhere... just a comment ha
Sod um Yolanda, you fly your national flag, shows your proud of your heritage, the union flag can be seen world wide used by expats, you fly your flag lass
Old 19-06-2010, 10:06   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yep, you flag your flag, and be proud to do so, if thats what you'd like to do! I dont think you will get abuse for doing that, most normal people understand loyalty to your Country/Team, and we shouldn't go round pampering to the others that dont!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 10:11   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Fill yer boots Yo, I do here in Germany Spain are still in & playing don't let the few small minded idiots who may say something bother you, there are plenty of other Brits about who'll just grin & accept it. If it helps put up a George cross along side of it, there you go supporting your Country of origin & your Country of residence, who'd argue that one ??? Small minded indeed they'd be.

Haha yup that was what i was planning to do, put 2 one next to each other then the other half cant winge!
Yolanda25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 10:53   #38
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Go for it, don't let anyone stop you being proud, you never know you may even get a bit more friendly banter than the abuse you are expecting.

Or Perhaps if you copy and print this Spanglish Flag it will keep everyone happy?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spanglish.jpg (9.3 KB, 58 views)
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 10:57   #39
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Further to the above comments, how about this ?

Barcelona and St George | Spain zone at abelard.org
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 16:00   #40
Give, give, give member

Go for it Yolanda.

You are proud to live here, and proud of your Spanish heritage too.

Fly your flag.

I saw a Spanish and English flag flying from a flat in the town centre today.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 16:03   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Yolanda stuff any begger else its just small minded dregs of society that would object to such a thing.
Old 19-06-2010, 16:25   #42
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yolanda stuff any begger else its just small minded dregs of society that would object to such a thing.
Happily, as seen from the poll results, there's only 10.34% of the local population, who will think she might be a secret, Franco worshipping, fascist.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 10:45   #43
Senior Member+

People with skinheads that often think of hitler within the same light as their mothers and vote bnp prob find the flag as a tool for racism

But again the above mentioned are a minority so i don't agree it is racist to be patriotic. I have seen more asians driving around accy with england flags.......
Old 20-06-2010, 20:49   #44
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
People with skinheads that often think of hitler within the same light as their mothers and vote bnp prob find the flag as a tool for racism

But again the above mentioned are a minority so i don't agree it is racist to be patriotic. I have seen more asians driving around accy with england flags.......
So how come you've voted for "yes, those who fly them are right wing"?
Old 20-06-2010, 22:37   #45
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post

Only trouble wi minorities is there usually the loudest n get more publicity, sells more papers, thats life n fact.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..