Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Outside sporting events, are flags seen as right-wing?
Yes, those who fly them are right-wing. 2 5.71%
No, they have no connotation to extremism. 28 80.00%
Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. 5 14.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-08-2010, 16:23   #61
Senior Member+

Re: Is flying the national flag racist?

In Dieppe, France, there is a hotel - The international. Stayed there twice and noticed both times that the 3 flags given precedence were the Tricolour, the Union Flag and the Maple Leaf. The one that was missing was the German Flag.
All around the town are little brass plaques set into the ground - the spot where a Canadian or British soldier died - each one engraved.
Flying the flag of whichever country you come from is a privilige - many have been prepared to guarantee that with their lives - Fly the flag if you wish, the Union Flag or St George's, or one of the others - it is your right.
Accrington Web
Old 13-08-2010, 16:46   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
In Dieppe, France, there is a hotel - The international. Stayed there twice and noticed both times that the 3 flags given precedence were the Tricolour, the Union Flag and the Maple Leaf. The one that was missing was the German Flag.
All around the town are little brass plaques set into the ground - the spot where a Canadian or British soldier died - each one engraved.
Flying the flag of whichever country you come from is a privilige - many have been prepared to guarantee that with their lives - Fly the flag if you wish, the Union Flag or St George's, or one of the others - it is your right.
You have the right to fly it if you want to - agreed
BUT - when it comes to the EU flag there are times when you are compelled to or face a hefty fine

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 17:21   #63
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
The EU flag always looked empty in the middle of those stars.
Here is someone's idea of what the flag truly represents
Some people may think thats a joke Margaret, then again others might just think how true that is
Old 13-08-2010, 17:24   #64
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
You have the right to fly it if you want to - agreed
BUT - when it comes to the EU flag there are times when you are compelled to or face a hefty fine
Me thinks its time Britain revised a sign made famous by Churchill during the war, put it on a flag and tell Brussels mafia UP YOURS
Old 13-08-2010, 18:50   #65
God Member

Quote:
There's a really good reason why they fly the Maple Leaf ... and Canadians are still sore about that one. August 19, 1942. Canadian casualties, 60%. I belive it was Steejack who came up with an apt phrase to describe it: "Crash Test Dummies."

The Maple Leaf flys at at my home year round ...
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 20:38   #66
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Me thinks its time Britain revised a sign made famous by Churchill during the war, put it on a flag and tell Brussels mafia UP YOURS
What a pity Cameron and the Tories don't agree with you.
Old 14-08-2010, 09:15   #67
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I acually don't give a Toss what Cameron thinks I know what I think and thats all that matters to me, end of
Old 14-08-2010, 16:22   #68
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I acually don't give a Toss what Cameron thinks I know what I think and thats all that matters to me, end of
Hush now.

We've only just got you settled back in your pram.

Complete with your dummy, comfort blanket, and Golliwog.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 16:37   #69
Senior Member+

Quote:
Or that Tony and Gordon didn't. The only one I can remember telling Brussels "NO" was Maggie. Didn't agree with a lot she did but hers were made of stronger stuff than anyone since.
Old 14-08-2010, 16:54   #70
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Or that Tony and Gordon didn't. The only one I can remember telling Brussels "NO" was Maggie. Didn't agree with a lot she did but hers were made of stronger stuff than anyone since.
Bless her.

Even though I once spent a suprisingly enjoyable evening with her in the Carlton Club, she still makes me want to run up the flag pole, but instead of hoisting a flag...jump off.

Old 14-08-2010, 16:58   #71
Give, give, give member

Interesting that it was her foundation which released these previously unpublished papers.

margaretthatcher.org has secured the release of British records of the crucial Heath-Pompidou Summit of May 1971 and publishes the full text.

"Condemned to succeed": the Heath-Pompidou summit which took Britain into the E.E.C, May 1971

The Heath Government | Margaret Thatcher Foundation

Old 14-08-2010, 21:58   #72
Super Moderator

Quote:
Have you had crocodile sandwiches or what? The point I was making is that the Tories are pro-EU. As you're a Tory (despite resigning from the party over a little local difficulty) it's no good banging on about the EU flag...that's what your mate, Cameron wants!
Old 15-08-2010, 10:15   #73
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Have you had crocodile sandwiches or what? The point I was making is that the Tories are pro-EU. As you're a Tory (despite resigning from the party over a little local difficulty) it's no good banging on about the EU flag...that's what your mate, Cameron wants!
Like I've always said I'm a Tory by conviction, not consensus, I believe in the Tory ethos but not necessarily what the Part hierarchy preach. Much in the way the Labour supporters were on here when they disappeared when things weren't going too well in Westminster, the only difference with me I won't do a Bernard and disappear in the Stanley section or Claytonender in the Games Section, I'll still chip in with my two penneth
Old 15-08-2010, 10:50   #74
God Member

I suggest that if you're really ****ed off with the 'EU' and all it stands for, you stick up a similar avatar to mine. I tried to find one of the Euro rag being wiped on someone's bum, but to no avail. If anyone spots one, please let me know.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 13:09   #75
God Member

The EU are in the process of deciding on a new flag.
Here are the results of the competition showing the 12 finalists
Bright Flags | Design Den Haag

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..