Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Outside sporting events, are flags seen as right-wing?
Yes, those who fly them are right-wing. 2 5.71%
No, they have no connotation to extremism. 28 80.00%
Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. 5 14.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-06-2010, 16:37   #1
Give, give, give member

Is flying the national flag racist?

Sorry to start a new thread. Mods if possible, please feel free to add this to the other thread.

Simple poll, regarding how we see our flag/s.

Last edited by garinda; 14-06-2010 at 16:41.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-06-2010, 16:43   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Is flying the national flag racist?

I think you should have had an option 3. Sometimes they are seen as right wing
Old 14-06-2010, 16:43   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Sorry to start a new thread. Mods if possible, please feel free to add this to the other thread.

Simple poll, regarding how we see our flag's.
Not for me, it's a case of small minds syndrome, small minds will use anything to further their prejudiced point of view and small minds will decide anyone flying it must be racist.

Two wrongs that ruin just about everything for everyone else's rights!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 16:45   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

must be a simple poll, i can't see it. never heard such tripe in me life, people fly the national flag fer various reasons n why the hell shouldn't they, if thats their wish? a minority of racists may do it yeh, but majority certainly don't fly it fer that reason, n only P.C. clowns n cretins would think it was racist. just fer info, i have never been a flag flyer, n probably never will be, but good on those who do. ya just added the poll ya swine lol
Old 14-06-2010, 16:49   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I think you should have had an option 3. Sometimes they are seen as right wing
I pondered that.

I do want it to be as fair as possible, if you can add a third option, please feel free to do so.

Though shouldn't it say 'Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't.'

Old 14-06-2010, 16:51   #6
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

As someone who flies the flag from my balcony, have a Union flag & George cross sticker on my car & living abroad. I feel a great Patriotism for my home Country & its citizenry regardless of race creed or colour, so long as they profess a pride & love of Country even the Jockeens,Taffs & Paddies, we're British.

West Indian, Chinese, Pakistanis & Indians born & raised in UK are also encompassed in the Great British melting pot & they'll all fly The Union flag alongside the flag of their grandparents Countries of origin. So how the hell can that be seen as racist ??
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 16:51   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
must be a simple poll, i can't see it. never heard such tripe in me life, people fly the national flag fer various reasons n why the hell shouldn't they, if thats their wish? a minority of racists may do it yeh, but majority certainly don't fly it fer that reason, n only P.C. clowns n cretins would think it was racist. just fer info, i have never been a flag flyer, n probably never will be, but good on those who do. ya just added the poll ya swine lol
Lol, snap.

I've never flown any flag, and probably wouldn't.

Down to choice.

Old 14-06-2010, 16:51   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I pondered that.

I do want it to be as fair as possible, if you can add a third option, please feel free to do so.

Though shouldn't it say 'Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't.'

Your wish and all that
Old 14-06-2010, 16:55   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Your wish and all that
I always wanted a pet monkey, when l was little.

Thanks Noo-nu.

Though I suppose wanting a monkey was me really exhibiting white supremacist tendencies at an early age, in some people's eyes.

Old 14-06-2010, 17:47   #10
God Member

you should always fly your flag with pride i wasnt offended when i lived n accy in fact i thought it was good, good times, good atmosphere in the pubs..
Old 14-06-2010, 21:16   #11
Super Moderator

Of course it's not and this is the only country in the world where the question would even be raised. Just asked Mrs H what she thought and she genuinely didn't understand what the hell I was on about, as pride in the flag is simply part of the national psyche where she comes from.

Sure a minority of racists and knuckle draggers have misused the flag for their own ends, but it's the navel-gazing PC types, indulging in endless bouts of liberal guilt who've brought us to this.
Old 15-06-2010, 06:38   #12
Common Sense Member

It speaks volumes about what a PC nation we've become that this question even gets asked.

Categorically 'no'.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 07:09   #13
God Member

flags are something to be proud of, bollox to those who say they are anything other than that
Old 15-06-2010, 07:42   #14
God Member

Garinda, I know you've put this thread up to prove a point to me. But, I never said that flying the flag was racist. What I said was, that in my experience the only houses who fly the Union Jack permanently tended to be BNP. I visited those houses and was told by them who they vote for.

I'll take a bet that all the people who have voted that it isn't racist do not fly the flag permanently. You said yourself that you wouldn't fly it permanently, perhaps you should start.

And this is where the contradiction is. If everyone flew the flag permanently then it would lose any of those connotations, because the flag itself is not racist, but unfortunately people don't and won't.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 07:46   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Even in the late seventies, when the National Front could have said to have hijacked the Union flag, you also had the Mod revivalists, a very racially diverse youth culture, proudly displaying the Union Jack sewn on to the back of their parkas, and dancing to ska.

No one thought of them being the slightest bit racist.
Further to what I posted in the other thread, about the Mod revival in the late seventies, at the time when the National Front was most active, new wave group the Jam performed with the Union flag, either on their drums, speakers, or as a backdrop.

Their politics were always known to be left of centre, especially so Paul Weller.

No one ever accused, or even thought, that they were in the slightest way involved with racist extremism. Indeed, they were involved with the Rock Against Racism movement at this time.

'I remember doing an RAR concert in Finsbury Park. Culture were the reggae band and The Jam did a support slot. They were a lot bigger than us, but it wasn't about the standard rock'n'roll posturing, it was more about people doing what they could to help. Everybody believed in the spirit of it as a way forward.'
Rock against racism: Remembering that gig that started it all - Features, Music - The Independent

The photographs of The Jam from this time, proudly showing them performing with the Union Jack, I'm only linking, because of copyright.

Link1
Link2
Link3

Last edited by Neil; 15-06-2010 at 08:31.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..