Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 17:20   #61
God Member

Re: Jack Straw, Racist or Correct?

I suspect Jack will have to watch out over the next few weeks, otherwise he could end up like the congresswoman from Arizona. Mind you, she did survive a bullet going straight through her head, although whether this was due to her being a) a Yank, b) a woman, c) a politician or d) a combination of all three and thus having little up top, I don't know.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-01-2011, 17:37   #62
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Some, so called newspapers, portray all women, regardless of race, as 'up for anything'.

That is a terribley poor excuse for the grooming, and violent abuse of young children.

Some people on here sound like the religious fanatics who demand that females be covered head to toe, so as not to incite the ardour of any man, and those who don't are asking to be attacked.

These are victims.

Child victims.

There are no excuses.
There is absolutely no excuse for the disgusting sexual exploitation of anyone, male or female. I am as heartened as any red blooded male by the sight of a pretty girl - but to acknowledge the grooming or ravishing of them is unthinkable. At least we can agree that the trashy red-top newspapers are only fit to be used as toilet paper - not reading matter!

Last edited by Stumped; 09-01-2011 at 17:40.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 17:46   #63
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I suspect Jack will have to watch out over the next few weeks, otherwise he could end up like the congresswoman from Arizona. Mind you, she did survive a bullet going straight through her head, although whether this was due to her being a) a Yank, b) a woman, c) a politician or d) a combination of all three and thus having little up top, I don't know.

As insensitive as ever Tealeaf.
The poor Congresswoman in America is fighting for her life after being shot by some mindless man, who has been allowed to use a lethal weapon.
And you consider this a suitable subject to make a joke about?
Crass and insensitive!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 18:07   #64
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
As insensitive as ever Tealeaf.
The poor Congresswoman in America is fighting for her life after being shot by some mindless man, who has been allowed to use a lethal weapon.
And you consider this a suitable subject to make a joke about?
Crass and insensitive!
Eh? I have simply pointed out that because of what Mr Straw has said, he may well now be subject to an attack of the non-verbal kind.

As regards our American cousins, what is so unusual about what happened yesterday? They have chosen - through the ballot box - for the right to bear arms and as such they feel fit to use those weapons to kill hundreds of their fellow citizens each week. Sometimes those killings are of the multiple kind and we see a number of those each year, of which what happened in Arizona is only one example. That in this instance it involved a politician is irrelevant other than to my allusion to the Honourable Member for Blackburn. So where is my joke?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 18:25   #65
JCB

Quote:
Eh? I have simply pointed out that because of what Mr Straw has said, he may well now be subject to an attack of the non-verbal kind.

As regards our American cousins, what is so unusual about what happened yesterday? They have chosen - through the ballot box - for the right to bear arms and as such they feel fit to use those weapons to kill hundreds of their fellow citizens each week. Sometimes those killings are of the multiple kind and we see a number of those each year, of which what happened in Arizona is only one example. That in this instance it involved a politician is irrelevant other than to my allusion to the Honourable Member for Blackburn. So where is my joke?
It's in #61
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 20:27   #66
Beacon of light

Quote:

Don't come the old soldier Tealeaf.......I was not referring to your comment about Jack Straw(the man courted these people for their easy vote).

I was referring to your tasteless comment about a congresswoman who may never fully recover......because a mindless male (they seem to always be male don't they?)with a gun had not only taken a pop at the politician, but had also killed other innocent members of the public.......the joke...well I will quote what you wrote just to refresh your memory.....

Mind you, she did survive a bullet going straight through her head, although whether this was due to her being a) A Yank b) a woman c)a politician or d) a combination of all 3, thus having little up top, I don't know.

Those comments were offensive to Americans, Women, and particularly educated women.

The reference to the right of the american population to bear arms is irrelevant, you are just trying to justify your crass comments...but failing miserably.
There is one thing......you never disappoint me, you always have to come up with some cynical and smart alec comment. PBWY

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 09-01-2011 at 20:31.
Old 09-01-2011, 21:25   #67
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

mindless male (they seem to always be male don't they?) PBWY[/COLOR]
Yes they do, can't argue with you on that one.
Near as dammit always male & just like in an Alfred Hitchcock film near as dammit always brought up by a clinging Mother!

P.S. What does PBWY mean?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 22:03   #68
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
P.S. What does PBWY mean?
Peace be with you, my child.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 00:41   #69

I got pinged with this an hour ago, if you have the D/L it maybe worth a look?

BBC iPlayer - The Big Questions: Series 4: Episode 1
Old 10-01-2011, 04:29   #70
God Member

Quote:

Seems like you took a little flack from this one ... but I see the humour. It seems that in every disaster/tragedy, or whatever overinflated adjective the media uses, there is always a joke, not always tasteful, but often funny. Funny in the sense that it is hard to restrain a chuckle, or even an outright guffaw. It's almost 25 years since the Challenger blew up; but I remember hearing only hours after the explosion: "Hey, do you know that NASA stands for 'Need another seven astrounauts." Whatever. And I do agree with your point about the Second Ammendment. This allows Americans to kill over 12,000 of their fellow citizens each year. Seems like murder in the States doesn't make the news unless it's multiple and/or high profile.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:32   #71
Beacon of light

Eric, you may be able to see the humour in the comment( and goodness knows humour is something that we could use a little of) but to my mind (and maybe I'm on my own here) it seems that Tealeaf never misses an opportunity to take a pop at women....and frequently makes, what are, insensitive remarks.

It is not an endearing trait.

Just as a post script. I worked in the medical profession for years and understand 'black humour' and the function it has......but I find his comments just plain nasty.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:47   #72
Senior Member+

Quote:
Eric, you may be able to see the humour in the comment( and goodness knows humour is something that we could use a little of) but to my mind (and maybe I'm on my own here) it seems that Tealeaf never misses an opportunity to take a pop at women....and frequently makes, what are, insensitive remarks.

Just as a post script. I worked in the medical profession for years and understand 'black humour' and the function it has......but I find his comments just plain nasty.

The chances of Jack Straw getting shot are less than zero in this country. So it's not even really a joke to suggest he could be. He may start getting some annonymous hate mail though!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:03   #73
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
The chances of Jack Straw getting shot are less than zero in this country. So it's not even really a joke to suggest he could be. He may start getting some annonymous hate mail though!
Oh yes? And what colour wax crayon do you plan to use for this letter?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:37   #74
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
.... it seems that Tealeaf never misses an opportunity to take a pop at women....and frequently makes, what are, insensitive remarks.
Just as he wishes he lived in Ossy and so comments on it so much, I suspect also that he wishes he was a woman. AT least then he would have one instead of being one
Old 10-01-2011, 09:11   #75
Resting in Peace

Quote:

I'm with you on this one Margaret, never have seen the humour in anybody being attacked in anyway be it a man or a woman

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..