Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-07-2005, 13:21   #1
God Member

Jobsworths

I went to a barbecue the other day and came up against a woman who is almost as tough as me. They only had steak sandwiches or a plate of meat (which included sausages, burgers and chops) as the menu options. Because I had the kids with me, I asked if they would do sausage sandwiches for them. She said 'no, it's not on the menu'. To which I replied, 'but I you've got sausages on the barby and you've got rolls so why can't I have sausage sandwiches?'. Again she said 'no'. I was a bit incredulous at this. Anyway, I got what I wanted in the end by waiting until she was serving someone else and asking the bloke who was working there to make some sausage sandwiches for me.

What a jobsworth she was, she's put me off going back to that place. Anyone else got any good jobsworth stories for us?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-07-2005, 14:43   #2
God Member

Re: Jobsworths

My Mum came with us to Blackpool to see the VE fly over on Sunday but she doesn't drive so she took the train then caught a tram. The tram stopped a little way from the shelter so my mum attempted to get on,the driver opened the door and said "if your getting on make your way to the shelter" which was less that 20 yarsds away. When they got to the shelter they went to get on the tram and again the tram driver said "no you have to go through the shelter to get on" so they had to walk away from the trams doors go all the way round this silly shelter to come through it to get on the tram. She was livid!! I asked her if he was just teasing her and messing but she said no he was being very serious. Ridiculous SILLY IDIOT !!

Last edited by Tinkerbelle; 15-07-2005 at 15:01.
Tinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2005, 14:48   #3
God Member

Funny, because the barbecue was a VE day celebration. Must be something about celebrating the end of the war that makes people grumpy.

Old 15-07-2005, 16:14   #4
I am Banned

they must have been from german heitage pehaps :-)
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2005, 22:54   #5

I was once in a restraunt in the USA for Breakfast and saw what i wanted on the menu but it contained 2 eggs. I asked the waitress if I could have this but just with one egg and she said it was more than her job was worth to order anything other than what was written on the menu. .........................WE LEFT>
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2005, 08:32   #6
Resident Waffler

People like this just make you worry about the future of humanity don't they?

I had a similar story a while back. I was in a sweet shop and the woman in front of me wanted 2 bags of dolly mixtures for her two children. They were loose sweets in a jar and she wanted 2oz each. They were priced at so much a quarter and the price was an odd number of pence (can't remember exactly what but let's say 45p) The assistant said she couldn't sell 2oz because they couldn't do ha'pennies. The woman pointed out that 2x2oz was a quarter and that would be 45p, but she wanted them in 2 bags of 2oz each. The assistant was prepared to sell 4oz but not divide them between two bags because they "didn't do 2oz"!

The woman ended up buying a quarter and then asking for a spare bag.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2005, 09:29   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

its not just individuals that are jobsworths in my view,when i returned from living in spain,i was in the habit of carrying my residenceia card in my wallet these i.d .cards have photograph and FINGERPRINT on them,i tried to use it as i.d. in the post office also the bank,to be told thats not acceptable i.d.how this is so is totally beyond me,as in my view it is more valid than a passport or driving licence,i tried at a few banks etc ?GPOS,so it was not the individuale it was the powers that be.
Old 16-07-2005, 12:03   #8

On tuesday last I forgot to put out my grey bin. I rang the helpline and was told that if it was my first (offence) they would collect the bin either later in the day or the next day. I told the girl I had only once before missed putting it out and after ringing them and being told it could be the next day, I decided that as the bin was not very full and everything in it was bagged up, I would take some to the tip myself. She told me to hold , when she came back she said. " You failed to present one day in August last year" I again told her that I had then emotied the bin myself. "That doesn't matter it is still on our records" She eventually agreed to empty my bin. At almost 3pm the following day they had not done it. We rang again. They will be there in 30 mins. They were, Would you believe, 2 VERY LARGE BIN WAGONS CAME, IN CONVOY JUST TO EMPTY MY BIN. Suppose I now have 2 offences against my name. Icould SPIT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 16-07-2005, 14:33   #9
God Member

They keep records of how often we put rubbish out to be collected????

They actually use hard earned taxpayers money to pay some small minded sh*thead to keep records of who puts their bin out and how often??

This has got to be true, you couldn't invent something as ridiculous as this. I'm speechless......!

The next thing you know they will have sensors in the sewers monitoring how much and how often we flush the bl**dy bog!

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 16-07-2005 at 14:36.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2005, 16:42   #10

Tell me about it Bob I just could not believe my ears when she was able to anounce that I offended once last year. The whole petty minded department needs a good shake up.
Old 16-07-2005, 17:09   #11
I am Band

Exclamation Re: Jobsworths

Is there any wonder why HBC is so deep in debt. That little episode beggars belief!

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2005, 17:42   #12
Resident Waffler

So how do I go on then if I'm away for weeks on end and don't "present" my bin? I must be a multiple offender by now! Over the past few years I've spent all the school summer holidays in our caravan.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2005, 18:14   #13

Then I think you are due a prison sentance, or at least 50 lashes on the town hall steps.lol.
Old 16-07-2005, 21:09   #14
Passed away 25-11-09

I once took my grandson to a cafe in a shopping mall in Warrington. He was about 5 at the time (he's now 19). They had a children's menu and he decided he would like sausage, egg, beans and chips. When I tried to order this the waitress said, "We do sausage, beans and chips or egg, beans and chips but we don't do sausage, egg, beans and chips." I was a bit taken aback but I said, very politely, "As you have sausages and beans and eggs and chips, why can't I have them?" "It's not on the menu", she said. "But you have everything we want," says I. "Surely you can do sausage, beans, egg and chips? I'll pay for everything." "No," she said. "It's not on the menu".

The argument went on for a good 5 minutes and I was getting nowhere but I don't give up easily. In the end I said, "OK, give me a plate of sausage, beans and chips, and a plate of egg, beans and chips without the beans and chips". She gave me a look that could have felled an ox, disappeared for a good 15 minutes and came back with 2 plates. One had sausage, beans and chips and the other had egg - and the scrapings-off of beans and chips. She banged them down so hard they almost cracked and stalked off, muttering.

I didn't leave a tip!
Old 16-07-2005, 21:14   #15
God Member

That's a very funny one West Ender. It's amazing how petty some people are, isn't it?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..