Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2006, 10:39   #31
God Member

Re: Jumping on the bandwagon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Peter told us he's worth it.......so we must be.
HE MUST BE SUROUNDED WITH YES PEOPLE THEN!

Wouldnt mind seeing if he could justify it at a public meeting. The money he gets is provided by our taxes in all its forms so we have the right to quiz him and other politions over it.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-04-2006, 12:39   #32
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie J
Maybe we should all write letters to the observer about what we think of PB & co. Would be interesting to see how many would be printed
Well, I have done mine...but I bet it doesn't get into print.
Here is a copy:

With reference to the letter from Peter Britcliffe in last weeks Accrington Observer.
What a pathetic, petulant rant, more suited to have come from a primary school child than the supposedly articulate adult leader of HBC.

I would consider it to be essential for the leader of the council to possess the ability of clear and logical thinking. His letter is worrying because it demonstrates no evidence of such ability.

Does the leader of the council seriously believe that Gayle Knight is standing against him in the local elections in a fit of pique, because he and his cohorts blocked the building of the Panopticon?
Surely he must know and appreciate the commitment, work and effort that go into standing in the local election.

Gayle Knight is a working mother of two small children, she has enough to do without going to such far fetched lengths of seeking revenge.
She is a politically aware individual who believes that she can make a difference to the quality of life for the people of her local community - THAT is why she is standing in the local elections.

The message I would like to convey to Peter Britcliffe is 'Get real and get a life' and I fear that after the local elections it may change to 'Get a job'.

And before the esteemed leader levels any criticism at me, I would like to point out that I have NO political affiliations, I am not related to Gayle Knight and know her only in the capacity of reading her column in the paper.

And by the way......if the rant was the effect of Nicotine withdrawal......maybe someone could give HBC's leader a cigarette and see if that helps him to see the situation more clearly.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 08-04-2006 at 12:59.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:40   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Become a doer then and not a talker and get them written.
All ready done Neil
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 15:05   #34
God Member

what a fab letter marg

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 15:09   #35
Beacon of light

Glad you like it H.R..... now let's see if Accy Observer will print it!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 16:29   #36
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I found this listing Councillor allowances
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Allowance.pdf (11.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 08-04-2006, 22:40   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
I found this listing Councillor allowances
I would like to add I didn't take the 26% pay rise so I got around £3,000 (£4,150) with no extras. I have just turned down for the forthcoming year last years 26% rise again.

I don't claim travel as its part of the job and I manage like ordinary folk do with childcare.

Of the £3,000 the exchequer gets a third with taxation and donations to affiliations take up another couple of hundred. Obviously mileage and phone calls account for a some of what is left. I also lose a lot in wages with time given up.

I am not against councillors being payed a fair amount, however given the poor state of the council should we be rewarding ourselves?

Last edited by g jones; 08-04-2006 at 22:42.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 22:48   #38
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones
I am not against councillors being payed a fair amount, however given the poor state of the council should we be rewarding ourselves?
Possibly not. I do think though that you should not be out of pocket, it should not be costing you money to do us a service. Then again I suppose some Councillors probably provide a better service than others and maybe some don't deserve to be renumerated ( or be Councillors for that matter ).
Old 08-04-2006, 23:26   #39
white rabbits

i wish i could put a letter together like that Margaret,,, short and to the point... i hope it pays off...
Old 09-04-2006, 19:51   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Possibly not. I do think though that you should not be out of pocket, it should not be costing you money to do us a service. Then again I suppose some Councillors probably provide a better service than others and maybe some don't deserve to be renumerated ( or be Councillors for that matter ).
I graft hard for mine. If it was a job, I'd pack it in as a money loser!
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2006, 15:27   #41
Give, give, give member

Sadly Margaret's letter, and that of Debbie J, wasn't printed in this week's Observer.

The highlighted letter this week though was from 'our Gayle'. The Observer gave it the headline 'Bordering on the bizarre', and in it she quite clearly states why she is standing for the Council against Peter Britcliffe.

Although the Accy Web member's letters weren't published this week in the letters page, two Britcliffe cronies Messrs. Roberts and Farrer do get the space to score more cheap political points. This is in tandem with an article published in tonight's Lancashire Evening Telegraph, were again Peter Britcliffe is waffling on about the irrelevant Pantopican, in order to rubbish Gayle Knight.
With all the dirty tricks that are being played out, I only hope people remember the real issues at stake here come election day.

Gangs of underaged drinkers, parking, and a feeling of security are the issues at stake, not a couple of dozen dead hanging baskets given as a sweetner to the electorate.

Roll on May when it's all over, bar the inquest.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2006, 15:31   #42
Give, give, give member

Double post.

Old 13-04-2006, 15:43   #43
Give, give, give member

Back on thread....

According to the Observer if/when Accrington Stanley win the league, and promotion back into the football league after forty four years absence, there will be an open top bus parading round the town, followed by a reception with the Mayor and the big nobs, in the Town Hall.

This will be great for the town, I just hope politics can be left out of it, and am still a bit dubious as to why/ how the news was first mentioned in the press last week by Peter Britcliffe's chum Mr. Farrer.

Old 13-04-2006, 15:51   #44
God Member

Panoptican would have been better and looks far more impressive to passing cars that may then stop than that crappy old shelter and crumbling monument. Who's responsibility is maintenance of that?

G jones, perhaps you should take all the money you can get then donate it to worthwhile local projects that can't get any or start your own. I'd never leave money in the pot if I can get it out, they'll only waste it.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2006, 16:01   #45
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
Panoptican would have been better and looks far more impressive to passing cars that may then stop than that crappy old shelter and crumbling monument. Who's responsibility is maintenance of that?
Peter Britcliffe, the leader of our council, is in tonight's Lancashire Evening Telegraph saying how he and the Tories never wanted any version of it. Which if my memory serves me right is totally wrong, as they did support the initial idea, and were quoted in the press saying as much.

He then says how he is supporting his fellow councillors in the Ribble Valley who also don't want it. They comment at the end of the article that this is not the case.

Straws and clutching at, springs to mind.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..