Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2006, 11:05   #1
Give, give, give member

Jumping on the bandwagon.

According to the letters page of this week's Observer, ex-Conservative councillor and Britcliffe chum John Farrer, informs us of some interesting news.

His letter moans that the Mela won't be happening, and blames central government funding, but then tells us that Peter Britcliffe has 'managed to find some money to celebrate Accrington Stanley's inevitable return to league football.'

He doesn't offer any information about how much money, or what our esteemed Council leader is planning to do to celebrate the occasion. It may just be a cup of Freetrade coffee in the Town Hall for all we know.

If, hopefully tonight, Stanley win their rightful place back in the football league after forty four years, the event should be celebrated. What I object to is it being used as a political point scoring exercise by the Tories.

Lastly, I've commented before how the letters page of the Observer are used by the Conservatives to get their views across, indeed this week we have Britcliffe attacking 'our Gayle', yet so few of them are willing to enter into a debate about local issues on here.

Shame.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-04-2006, 11:22   #2
God Member

Re: Jumping on the bandwagon.

Didn't think it would be long before it popped up on here.

I'm going to answer through the letters pages next week but suffice to say the letter about me is one long lie from beginning to end and I'm not going to qualify it by saying any more.

As for the John Farrer letter - that's just a joke and also incorrect.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:24   #3
Give, give, give member

John Farrer's letter was nearly as hilarious as the one about his ex-wife.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:36   #4
God Member

Does this mean I can start a bender tonight all being well? Gayle they might be running scared of you and the easiest way to get at someone is a pile of porkies.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 13:22   #5

I couldn't agree more with you Garinda, the Conservatives are very adept at negative campaining. Rather tham making cheap jibes at his opponent it would be better if Peter Britcliffe et al could tell us what he has done to improve the lives of the citizens of Hyndburn. He has been strangely silent about free travel for the over 60's and disabled, within Hyndburn from 1st April 2006. One can only draw the conclusion thast this is for the follwoing two reasons -
A It is a Labour Government
B If people don't take advantage of this, they will not have to use all the £1.4 million the government has given them to pay for the free travel, and so can use any surplus on expensive projects which benefit very few people.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 14:18   #6
Beacon of light

Letter in the Observer.

I'm surprised no-one has made a comment on the letter in this weeks Observer 7:4:06. The one from our esteemed council leader.
He thinks the press officer on the Mid Pennine Arts association is standing against him in the local elections just to spite him..... a fit of pique on Gayles part becuase he does not support the Panopticon. How old is this man....? His outburst sounds like that of a 12 year old who does not get all his own way. I have just one thing to say to this man......Get a life!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 14:37   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Letter in the Observer.

You must have got the wrong end of the stick Margaret. In the letter he said the spokesman for Mid Pennine was running against him. I am fairly sure that Gayle is not a man. Also in the Observer it refers to AccyWebs Bill Greene as running for the Lib Dems in St Andrews against Peter and Gayle. I bet most people who read the Observer are now thinking that Mid Pennine's spokesman is Bill Greene.
Old 07-04-2006, 16:29   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
but then tells us that Peter Britcliffe has 'managed to find some money to celebrate Accrington Stanley's inevitable return to league football.'
This had been on the cards for months and was mentioned along with the Queens birthday celebratyions after a Friends meeting.
Come on Gary you need to get involved with your Community a bit more so you know whats going on around you
Old 07-04-2006, 17:05   #9
Beacon of light

Neil....I still think it is a very childish outburst and would be ashamed to put my name to it......I said he should get a life, but I think I probably meant he should get a job....a proper one!
Old 07-04-2006, 17:06   #10
Beacon of light

Anyway, according to another post (jumping on the bandwagon)....Gayle is going to reply in next weeks paper. I can't wait.....hehehe
Old 07-04-2006, 18:23   #11
Resting in Peace

Had to read this letter several times to even make sense of it, not terribly literate !! To suggest (even if I didn't know Gayle), that a person would stand up against him on one issue seems quite an inane comment to me. The commitment generally is quite a huge one and extremely time-consuming, and as we have already seen in past posts she is just as interested in ridding the dog pooh from our streets.

Think nicotine withdrawal is affecting this man ... mmmm convinced me to carry on with the weed.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 18:38   #12

Maybe we should all write letters to the observer about what we think of PB & co. Would be interesting to see how many would be printed
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 20:20   #13

It would be an excellent idea for everyone to write aletter to the Observer and say exactly what they feel about Peter Britcliffe. I am sure some of them would get printed.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 22:01   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
This had been on the cards for months and was mentioned along with the Queens birthday celebratyions after a Friends meeting.
Come on Gary you need to get involved with your Community a bit more so you know whats going on around you

I'm quite happy sitting on the communal fence, thank you.

Peter Britcliffe did mention in one of his Observer columns, not the smoking, wheezing one I think, but his musings in general one, that the Council would mark the occasion of Accrington Stanley re-entering the football league somehow.

I just note my interest that Peter's little chum and acolyte John Farrer, seems to know what is planned, and deems fit to inform the general public via the letters page of the Observer.

How much will it cost?

Who is paying for it?

A ticker tape parade round the town in an open top bus, or tea and buns in the Mayor's parlour?

Old 07-04-2006, 22:09   #15
Give, give, give member

Perhaps Peter Britcliffe will produce a commerative calendar to celebrate the event?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..