Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-04-2008, 21:21   #16

Re: Kids fighting

Just watched it now. Not too sure what to think really, as i was expecting a lot worse. I thought it was going to be rough kids from rough areas just fighting in some guys back yard while his drunken mates cheer them on. I was pleased to see that it is quite well organised and seemed to be making a good effort in regards to the safety of the kids. The only problem i have is the parents pushing thier kids in the way they did, everyone wants thier kids to be succesful at something but atleast wait until they are old enough to make the decisions for themselves, at the end of the day your childhood is the most fun times your ever supposed to have so why stop your children having thier childhood.
Old 24-04-2008, 21:24   #17

That is just plain awful, they are being forced to fight each other when they obviously dont want to! HORRIBLE!!!
Old 24-04-2008, 21:38   #18

The little girl that was forced to fight, sickened me watching that bit, love to give her dad a kick to the face tbh. The older lads towards the end seemed to really enjoy it though, although i am slightly concerned about the mental damage it may be causing (lot of pressure for a ten year old).
Old 24-04-2008, 23:10   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
The little girl that was forced to fight, sickened me watching that bit, love to give her dad a kick to the face tbh. The older lads towards the end seemed to really enjoy it though, although i am slightly concerned about the mental damage it may be causing (lot of pressure for a ten year old).
If you watched it you heard the dads saying it was always their dream and some of the mums were no better. They were/are living their dreams through their kids IMHO. The lad called Thai was in the ring at two and a half years old, don't tell me he chose to be there
Old 24-04-2008, 23:24   #20
God Member

what side was it on ??(channel)
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 23:26   #21
Give, give, give member

'Come on Princess!'

'Kick her in the head!'

I've just watched it, and it was disturbing.

Unregulated, lots of differing 'offical' bodies, governing what is and isn't allowed, such as punches to the head, which was shown in one filmed fight.

The most disturbing aspect about the programme was the parents.

Boxing clubs used to be seen as the saviour for many working class boys, in that it taught them discipline, pride in themselves, and helped keep them out of trouble.

The whole idea of small kids, some as young as three, kicking seven bells out of each other, while their parents scream encouragement from the sidelines, and for one to be told they are the winner, and one the loser, all seems very sad.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 23:27   #22
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
what side was it on ??(channel)
Was Channel 4, at 9pm.

Old 24-04-2008, 23:31   #23
God Member

Ty G will try and watch online because i missed it , although by sounds of it may be quite disturbing
Old 24-04-2008, 23:37   #24
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Ty G will try and watch online because i missed it , although by sounds of it may be quite disturbing
It's not really gruesome, and I did sit there thinking to myself that at least these people were taking an interest in their kids, even if it was to live out their own fantasties.

I suppose that also happens with many pushy parents, who train their children to play, rugby, tennis, or the violin for hour after hour, in the vain hope of glory.

Old 24-04-2008, 23:38   #25
God Member

Quote:
What I found most disturbing was the parents, they were like lunatics shouting for their kids to kick seven bells of it out of other kids. So very sad
Old 24-04-2008, 23:39   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It's not really gruesome, and I did sit there thinking to myself that at least these people were taking an interest in their kids, even if it was to live out their own fantasties.

I suppose that also happens with many pushy parents, who train their children to play, rugby, tennis, or the violin for hour after hour, in the vain hope of glory.
Surely you can see the difference to me it was violent parents teaching their kids how to be more violent but in the extreme
Old 24-04-2008, 23:47   #27
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Surely you can see the difference to me it was violent parents teaching their kids how to be more violent but in the extreme
I do see, and my first post pointed that out.

You can't really say these were violent parents. They're the ones who beat their kids senseless behind closed doors. These were parents encouraging their kids to fight, with a referee stood next to them, and some sort of rules, and wearing protection.

Like I said, I too found it disturbing, but how many of us here, when their kids have been bullied, have not encouraged them to stand up for themselves, and knock the stuffing out of the bully?

Old 24-04-2008, 23:56   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I do see, and my first post pointed that out.

You can't really say these were violent parents. They're the ones who beat their kids senseless behind closed doors. These were parents encouraging their kids to fight, with a referee stood next to them, and some sort of rules, and wearing protection.

Like I said, I too found it disturbing, but how many of us here, when their kids have been bullied, have not encouraged them to stand up for themselves, and knock the stuffing out of the bully?
Take your point but to me the implications could be much worse. One fight on there was stopped because one of the lads collapsed because he was stunned by a blow to the head. Really can't see how any parent would encourage their child be it a son or a daughter in what can at best be described as a dangerous sport. In fact to me it isn't a sport!!!
Old 24-04-2008, 23:58   #29
God Member

We have the same thing in Canada ... we call it Hockey ... the last controversy was over a bench clearing brawl involving 8 yr olds ... and then there is the odd occurence of parents beating the crap out of the refs and the coaches. The reason that Canada regularly wins the world Hockey championships is that our players are raised to play a very physical form of the game .... skating and stick handling are important, but if you can't intimidate the opposition you don't win. Don't really agree with it at the Pee Wee level ... but once the kids get to Midget and Junior level it isn't fair not to stress the physical ... all of these kids want to make the NHL, and that is all out, no holds barred hockey. But as a character building method? I do think there are better ways.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 00:02   #30
God Member

Damn will have to wait for it to be listed.

Will say though When mine were little i encouraged them to stand up for themselves and still do, Thay have had there fair share of bullying at school but always coped reasonably well with them . Cant really judge till ive seen it but sound very much like the parents are in the wrong for chanting at thier kids in the ring.
Its one thing teaching your children to stick up for themselves and another to teach them to display thier fights for all and..
Children need to be taught how to behave and how to react to certain cicumstances

Mr Flanagan believes that the training will help his daughter take care of herself.

"If someone grabs Miah when she's 15 what do you think is going to happen? She knows all the defence moves," he said.

Which is all well and good but do these moves have to be turned into a competition where there are kids that are genuinly going to be **** scared to be going in the ring with them.

Parents bullying IMO and living a life through their kids.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..