Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2006, 18:08   #1
God Member

Kids unanswerable questions!

Most of you will know what kind of tough questions kids ask, well I think I
copped for the unanswerable question. The 7 year old daughter of a neighbour asked this question for which after a several attempts giving up and pleading ignorance was my way out.

The question was "how will I know I have died" to which the first answer was "you will go to heaven" to which answer came forth " what if I dont go to heaven how will I know." So I went for "if you have been really really naughty you might go to hell." Reply "what if I dont go to hell?" So it was "you might be a ghost." Thinking I had cracked it I get "what if I am not a ghost?" At which point a considered reincarnation but guessed what the answer would be hence the dont know option.

How are you meant to answer a question lke that and give them an answer they would be happy with? I was crazy enough to Google it out of curiosity with no luck. I still dont know what brought on the question and havent seen her mother to ask if she knew so what next and can a question like that really be answered?

Any thoughts on this what could be seen as an innocent if somewhat morbid question?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-09-2006, 06:10   #2

Re: Kids unanswerable questions!

Spuggie my answer to that would be, How would I know I haven't died yet!

The latest question from my 8 year old have been 'how did we get here?'
I told him 3 different theories and said you decide as no one alive today was here when the world began.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:38   #3
Resident Waffler

It's funny how kids don't think of questions about death as being morbid.

I'm not sure how I would answer it though because the problem is none of us actually know what it's like to be dead do we? I think it would have to be that we know we're not dead because we know we are still the same as we have always been. Feeling dead must feel different. Now I'm not even sure I'm making sense.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 14:30   #4
God Member

WB Willow. It is the sort of question that makes sense to a child to ask but not to us adults even those that are still big kids at heart.

Debbie looks like your answer might be best but as I was flummoxed at the time I took the ignorence road with no real thought of is there an answer. When I see her next I will ask if she has decided yet.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 02-09-2006, 16:35   #5
I am Banned

if ever asked how they got here simply reply witha big bang and then add smugly that you are not refering to the one in the books that happened millions of years ago

when asked ...

what happens when you die = worm fodder

where do babies come from = argos

if sucking your thumb is naughty will mummy burn in hell for what she was sucking last night = time to put a lock on the bedroom door

does hell exist = yes for kids who dont do as they are told

will i go to heaven = much sooner than you think if you dont stop asking questions

are we there yet = has the bloody car stopped ?

why do you keep farting on my head = when your tall enough to do it to others you will understand

Last edited by chav1; 02-09-2006 at 16:42.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 18:03   #6
God Member

A typical Chav1 reply.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 02-09-2006, 19:16   #7
God Member

I likes the argos one and the sucking thumb one
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 19:48   #8
Senior Member+

I don't remember my children asking such questions but my eldest grand-daughter had a problem with it. She wouldn't rest until she found out the ages of all four grandparents and put us in some sort of order of death.

The stage passed when she was around seven, so either she has forgotten all about it or she's come to terms. We are all still here, lol.

Don't worry too much, answer as best you can as the natural approach is usually the best x

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:15   #9
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Kids unanswerable questions!

The answer to your neighbour’s question is surely, “You won’t know. If you are aware of yourself you are still alive. If you are not aware of yourself then you are dead.”

It is almost the same as, “How will I know that I am asleep?” You are not aware that you are sleeping when you are sleeping.

How do we know that we are not dead now and this is an afterlife from some other life?

If you are having an enjoyable life here it could be the heaven of some other life. On the other hand if you are having a really lousy life today it could be the hell of some other life.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:26   #10
God Member

Never thought of it that way Jambutty but it might explain the phrase "I must have been really bad in a previous life." Its almost like reincarnation in the sense that iyou relive your life untill you live a completely good sin free life. Not much hope for me then.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 06-09-2006, 12:00   #11
Resident Waffler

That's a new slant on 'Life is what you make it.'

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 17:30   #12
Give, give, give member

From a seven year old-

'Where's your wife and children Uncle G?'

'Errrr........hmmmmm........well, if I had my own children I wouldn't be able to spend as much time as I do with you.'

'OK, good.'

'Phew.'

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 17:58   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
From a seven year old-

'Where's your wife and children Uncle G?'

'Errrr........hmmmmm........well, if I had my own children I wouldn't be able to spend as much time as I do with you.'

'OK, good.'

'Phew.'
A very close shave and what a recovery.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..