Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 18:25   #16

Re: Light Bulbs

Learn something new all the time, didn't know any of that.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-01-2008, 18:35   #17
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Don't smash them Shaz, the powder inside them is nasty stuff. You don't want you or Reece inhailing it.
that is only for the energy bulbs isnt it, the normal ones are save

well i hope they are
Old 07-01-2008, 18:41   #18
God Member

I have used low energy bulbs since 1991 - they last for about 5 -7 years on average.
Special disposal will not be major problem for just that reason -- better than the hundreds and thousands of ordinary lightbulbs going into landfill every week.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 14:56   #19
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Light Bulbs

Hot filament light bulbs should be recycled with the other glass and metal items.

As for the new low energy bulbs – they are the biggest con perpetrated on the public for many a year.

Yes they do use less electrical energy and they do last longer but that is the only advantage.

But that is well offset by the disadvantages.

The LE bulb costs up to ten times the cost of a hot filament bulb.
A 75 watts rated LE bulb only uses about 18 watts of power but the light that it gives off is around the equivalent to that of a 60 watts hot filament bulb.
It costs up to ten times more to produce an LE bulb than a hot filament bulb. That’s why they cost more to buy. Plus the extra profit the manufacturer and seller can make.
It certainly takes much more energy to produce one LE bulb than it does to produce one hot filament bulb.
Then there are the disposal costs in cash AND energy.

Finally if everyone used these LE bulbs they would use less electricity. This would reduce what the energy companies will sell, which in turn would affect their profits, which in turn would affect the shareholders dividends and this would affect many pension funds. So the price of electricity would go up to compensate to try and maintain the status quo.

In a nutshell we, the general public (again) will pay more for less.

Now if that isn’t a con, I don’t know what is.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..