Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2005, 20:12   #1
Member.

Like a bad night in Baghdad

I don’t know what it like over there but here it’s like a bad night in Baghdad, The smoke is thick and acrid, the night sky is full of explosions flashing wildly and the dog’s peed again in the kitchen. One wonders what it’s all about, I being an established miserable and ant social sod I am sat at home looking after my terrified dog whist everyone else is enjoying good food and drink along with all the multicoloured whiz bangs. I’m shocked by the sounds that I am hearing they seem so much louder that they use to in fact to much like the real thing.

This bring my thoughts to those people sat at home worrying, hiding, shaking violently in fear of the sounds and smells that will no doubt be seeping into there homes. These people fought wars, lost limbs, there minds, friends and much of their ability to stand the memories of battles fought, won and lost. It will take them back to the horrors they faced on the field of battle during two world wars. Other’s throughout the following decades and on the streets of Ireland and the last wars of the 80s and 90s. Then there’s the old folk who may realise what happing and why, but still feel frightened and alone, trapped even more within there own homes at risk of persecution at the hands of senseless children and thugs. Then there are our pets, the birds in the trees, the beast of the field, barn and stable.

We will wake to stories of grim deaths, burnings and other such injuries. We will hear of the cost of policing the streets, the cost ambulance and fire crews not to mention Nurses, doctors, technicians, care workers from every walk of life working overtime. What of the after effects and risks to those in the days following due to the acrid smoke and toxins in the air, our water supplies and food stocks both growing in the fields and on the hoof. Is it worth it?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-11-2005, 20:19   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Like a bad night in Baghdad

Oh, Doug.......I was just about to add a similar thread......but mine was a bad night in Beirut. What is it they say about great minds?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 20:19   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i must be a miserable anti social sod too doug, the dog is petrified and yelping and i agree with your thoughts, i'm not against bonfire celebrations en-masse but think there should only be organised things,by responsible people, that would go some way to alleviating the fireworks going off months before and after,cos its bad enough on the night.
Old 05-11-2005, 20:20   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

just noticed margarets- theres 3 off us lol
Old 05-11-2005, 20:20   #5
Beacon of light

I absolutely hate it......and the cats are cowering under the sideboard.
Old 05-11-2005, 20:21   #6
Beacon of light

And if it doesn't quieten down soon I am going to get the tin hat out of the loft.
Old 05-11-2005, 20:34   #7
Passed away 25-11-09

I don't mind it so much tonight but it's been going on for over a week, here, and it will go on now until New Year's Eve when it will be nothing but noise until at least 3 a.m. Our old dog used to be very brave about fireworks until she went deaf and couldn't hear them any more. She used to ask to go outside so she could bark at them, like she did with thunder. I'm sure, though, that they are noisier than they used to be.
Old 05-11-2005, 20:35   #8
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
I absolutely hate it......and the cats are cowering under the sideboard.

You must have one hell of a big sideboard Margaret, I’ll tell you this though, I wouldn’t want it sat on my knee with the explosions going off

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 05-11-2005, 20:49   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Talking Re: Like a bad night in Baghdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
You must have one hell of a big sideboard Margaret, I’ll tell you this though, I wouldn’t want it sat on my knee with the explosions going off
WHAT? margarets pussy.
Old 05-11-2005, 20:51   #10
Beacon of light

No, having Monty on your knee on a night like this is not recommended.....unless you want shredded knees. I prefer shredded wheat!
Pasha isn't so bad......she is light and delicate.....but her claws are still mighty sharp.
Old 05-11-2005, 20:53   #11
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
WHAT? margarets pussy.
I'm sorry Margaret, I never truly understood the implications of poking fun at the size of your pussy, now everyone is doing it. Please forgive me……….

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 05-11-2005, 20:56   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

sorry margret dougs leading me astray.lol
Old 05-11-2005, 20:57   #13
Beacon of light

I don't mind everyone knowing that i have a rather large feline.

Actually he isn't under the sideboard......but that isn't because he didn't try.....he nearly ripped his shoulder blades off trying to get under there.
I was hoping that the rain (which has come down in torrents) would bring the proceedings to a timely end...but it is still very loud at the moment.
I pity you having to put up with this kind of thing until the New Year.

I thought there was a law against letting fireworks off after 11pm.
Old 05-11-2005, 21:07   #14
Passed away 25-11-09

They go off well after 9 o'clock. If I dial 999 do you think they will send a squad car?
Old 05-11-2005, 21:10   #15
Senior Member+

Yep, and when you think of the cost of some of these things. £50 for one firework, wow............up in smoke. Used to have a little yorky, was sad on the 5th to watch her trying to hide away from the noise.The bangs seem to get louder & louder, or is it us getting older an older

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..