Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2005, 21:45   #16
Super Moderator

Re: Live Aid v Live 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
just caught floyd back at the hotel in norwich,i love em an those that don't can kiss my bum lol,can't really compare the 2 cos thats all i saw of the second one,but agree with rindy if it helps one starving kid all the cynics can kiss it as well-i'm back lol
Don't be so diplomatic, Mr C, tell 'em what you really think!

Most ordinary people from third world countries (my missus, for example) can tell you tales of aid falling into the wrong hands. But it's a bit like carpet bombing, really. If some of it reaches its intended target and saves lives, then it's worth it. Hmmm...maybe carpet bombing isn't such a good comparison, but you know what I mean!
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-07-2005, 21:47   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Wink Re: Live Aid v Live 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
How do you discover you like anything new if you stick with what you already know ?

I read an interview with eighteen year old Joss Stone, who wasn't even born in '85. In it she said she knew very little about the original concept behind Live Aid, just as 20 years before l was born, l knew very little about the end of WW II.

Yesterday was about education.
some might not figure that one out lol
Old 03-07-2005, 23:14   #18
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Which was the best?

Errrrrr

One had Queen in it and one had several poor covers of Queen in it.
It must be Live Aid was the best then.
Old 03-07-2005, 23:40   #19
land of hope and glory

SORRY? how many years have the people of GREAT BRITAIN been supporting these countrys? when we where a empire the countrys that we where in we ran properly and at a profit.Its only when they became independant they couldnt be a....ed so they get them into situations they cant get out of,and as for their ruling bodies you can buy them at ten a penny off alis down market.5 performers last night could have run AFRICA OFF THERE INTEREST ALONE?it would be like losing a fiver and finding 10.000 grand.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 21:11   #20
Beacon of light

It was a laudable effort......but it was just a concert.......and although the performers were not paid, they all got 'goodie bags' worth £7000.......now tell me I'm being a cynical old Burger if you like......but do these folk really need such inducements. Oh, and who's betting that there will be recordings of the concert on sale soon and we'll all be coughing up our hard earned readies to capture a piece of it.......profits.....? bet they aren't donated to Africa.
And.....just while I'm up here on the soap box.......don't you think it was OBSCENE of Bill Gates to go on stage.......what was that all about........? He could wipe out the debt in Africa without even feeling it.

Africa doesn't need AID....what Africa needs is TRADE! And the ousting of corrupt governments.

We could repeat this episode every three years and still be no nearer a solution.

SORRY.....but that's how I feel.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 04-07-2005 at 21:14.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 21:38   #21
Super Moderator

Bush has said that he will drop subsidies for American farmers, if the EU drop theirs, thus allowing African farmers to compete on a level playing field. I'm not holding my breath, though...

Also, I'd like to know why Geldof and co aren't protesting about poverty in latin America. Doesn't it have the same radical chic that Africa possesses?
Old 04-07-2005, 23:06   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

non of the stars i know about have protested about the starving in either south or central america to my knowledge,probably cos a lot of hard drugs come out of their,wouldn't want to threaten the supply,ohh some geek - think it was sting had a winge about the amazon rain forest and thats about it- trees not people.
Old 04-07-2005, 23:23   #23
Super Moderator

LOL. Hadn't thought of that!
Old 05-07-2005, 01:55   #24
land of hope and glory

one person dies every three seconds,20 are born every two thank you to you!
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..