Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2005, 08:55   #1
Give, give, give member

Live Aid v Live 8

For those old enough to have watched both concerts, which was the best?

I was twenty when l watched Live Aid, just about to start the last year of my degree at Art School, and just about to spend the Summer in Germany working for a fashion magazine. lt's a bit strange though because in the intervenining twenty years l've only reached the age of 34???

Best acts of the show-
1985- Queen
2005- Robbie Williams/ Madonna.

While Madonna is still able to re-invent herself and make her relevant to contemporary music, l'll never be old. For an old bird she rocks. Keep it up Madge.

Biggest dissapointment-
1985- Prince Charles wearing a tie and looking daggers at a bopping Diana.
2005- Pink Floyd. lt may have been 24 years since they last played together, but as always it just sounded to me like a lot of musical masterbation, and a strange act to close with.

Watching yesterday did make me realise how quickly time passes, but also how little people through music can make a difference.

Last edited by garinda; 03-07-2005 at 08:58.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-07-2005, 09:22   #2
God Member

Re: Live Aid v Live 8

Live Aid was the best because it was about a 'moment' - but Live 8 was a much slicker concert.

Robbie was without doubt the best.

What on earth were Pink Floyd doing there at all? Aging rockers who weren't even cool in 1985.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:01   #3
God Member

Everyone seems to like Pink Floyd, I don't think theres anything special about their music at all :S

U2 and Sir Paul was a good opening
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:41   #4

I was only 10 yr old first time round and don't remember too much about it, but Live 8 rocked. Unfortunatley I was at work, so I only heard it on the radio, but it was cracking. Robbie Williams played around 10pm, and they said after that he was 'the best performance of the day' and that 'he'd stolen the show'. Not bad for a 'fat dancer from Take That'!

Also enjoyed hearing acts from the other venues, espec Bon Jovi (they're touring over here next summer).

Generally looking forward to actually watching some of the coverage.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:49   #5
I am Banned

live 8 was the best by far

because it was a shorter concert than live aid there was less of bob geldof to put up with
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 11:07   #6

I got married that day in 85, How can I forget. Len should know he was there.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 11:48   #7
God Member

I can't remember enough of the first one to be able to make a good comparison but what I do know is, I really enjoyed yesterdays performances, I had it on all day then went out round Town at night and they had it on in the pubs, I caught Sting and Robbie in The Warners and yes the 'fat dancer from Take That' is still one of the most sexiest men in pop !
Old 03-07-2005, 13:19   #8
Give, give, give member

To all the cynics out there, what does it matter if egos were massaged?

If only one child was saved from starving to death was that not worth it?

Hate to contradict anyone, especially my little Tink, but it was Gary Barlow who was called the fat dancer from Take That.

Fact- 20,000 people die of starvation or AIDS related illness everyday. Hardly comparable with the poverty in this country.

Scissor Sister and The Killers also rocked, bring it on.

Last edited by garinda; 03-07-2005 at 13:21.
Old 03-07-2005, 14:20   #9
g78

Did we all sign the live 8 list? If not you should do so, I heard on the radio today over 25 million names on it so far.
Old 03-07-2005, 15:35   #10
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Live Aid certainly had pulling power. I remember being glued to the telly. It was the most powerful music event in the world at the time. I missed a lot of Live 8 due to work commitments but did manage to catch Madonna who was a class act. I also managed to catch Geldof's rather poor rendition of Don't Like Mondays. I'm peeved that I missed the Scissor Scissors and Robbie but that's life.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 15:39   #11
Senior Member+

That's why we're staging LIVE 8. 10 concerts, 100 artists, a million spectators, 2 billion viewers, and 1 message... To get those 8 men, in that 1 room, to stop 30,000 children dying every single day of extreme poverty.

We don't want your money - we want you!

Well, according to Geldof, Live 8 is not Live Aid 2. Like Leonard, Part 6, this “sequel” is meant to stand on its own merit. Live 8 will bring together over 100 different musical acts in 10 different cities and is scheduled just before the July 6-9 meeting of the G8 Leaders. It is a coordinated musical effort to get the G8 leaders to start tapping their feet and humming along, thereby canceling African debt, injecting new money into the continent and “delivering trade justice.” Whatever that means. Hey, Bono’s gonna be there!!
Some of the Numbers.
· Price of a bottle of water: $6
· Percentage of things made of hemp (excluding actual narcotics): 73
· Times President Bush was called a criminal: 65.5
· Times President Bush was called a war criminal: 49.5
· Ounces of hair product that Bono uses: 22
· Shout-outs by Bono to Kofi Annan: 3
· “Mourn you ‘til I join you” shout-outs by Bono to Pope JP the 2: 4
· Protesters: 150,000
· Protesters protesting issues that are totally unrelated to the cause Live 8 is advocating: 100,000
· Food consumed by concert goers (in pounds): 250,000

· Number of starving Africans food consumed by concert goers could feed: 750,000

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 19:28   #12
Senior Member+

I saw glimpses of Live Aid, and I made sure that I totally missed Live 8.

I've got better things to do with my life than watch telly for several hours, listening to music, a lot of which I am probably not that keen on. The music that I do like I have in my collection already.

Anyway, it wasn't aimed at me - it was aimed at the people at Gleneagles who make the decisions.

I saw an interesting snippet on the BBC news during the week. Joss Stone was doing an interview, and she pretty much admitted that she didn't really understand why she was doing it.

If the rest of the similar age performers were of similar mind, it pretty much renders it useless, does it not?

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 20:25   #13
Super Moderator

Joss Stone?...Aretha could blow her off stage anyday!
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 20:36   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

just caught floyd back at the hotel in norwich,i love em an those that don't can kiss my bum lol,can't really compare the 2 cos thats all i saw of the second one,but agree with rindy if it helps one starving kid all the cynics can kiss it as well-i'm back lol
Old 03-07-2005, 21:20   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
I saw glimpses of Live Aid, and I made sure that I totally missed Live 8.

I've got better things to do with my life than watch telly for several hours, listening to music, a lot of which I am probably not that keen on. The music that I do like I have in my collection already.

Anyway, it wasn't aimed at me - it was aimed at the people at Gleneagles who make the decisions.

I saw an interesting snippet on the BBC news during the week. Joss Stone was doing an interview, and she pretty much admitted that she didn't really understand why she was doing it.

If the rest of the similar age performers were of similar mind, it pretty much renders it useless, does it not?
How do you discover you like anything new if you stick with what you already know ?

I read an interview with eighteen year old Joss Stone, who wasn't even born in '85. In it she said she knew very little about the original concept behind Live Aid, just as 20 years before l was born, l knew very little about the end of WW II.

Yesterday was about education.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..