Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-09-2008, 15:22   #61

Re: Local police 'safety purge'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Do you know if there are any plans to extend it to real criminals like muggers, burglars etc
The police commonly catch people with stolen goods, drugs in their car etc when doing these checks. I remember being stoppped one time, and while it was a painless experience for me, the guy in front of me had to explain why he had two samurai swords and a baseball bat in his boot.

I mean the average burglar isn't going to worry too much about the seat belt law are they? And they have to cart that gear around somehow.

I also know of a family whose young granddaughter was killed on the road by an unlicensed driver. If he had been caught by the police in a safety check, she would still be alive.
Pamperqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-09-2008, 16:06   #62
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyme View Post
With regards to mobiles being more danerous than drink/drug driving, what a load of twaddle.
I also think it is one of those made up trials they did.
Old 30-09-2008, 16:10   #63
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Local police 'safety purge'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I actually said SOME not ALL
Yes and I quoted some.
Old 30-09-2008, 16:20   #64
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Local police 'safety purge'

Quote:
With regards to mobiles being more danerous than drink/drug driving, what a load of twaddle.
Does it matter which is more dangerous?

Anything that impairs a driver from driving competently and safely or distracts the driver from doing so, is dangerous. And that includes talking to passengers, smoking, scratching your nose, fiddling with the radio/CD player etc. If it causes an accident and someone gets killed they are still dead. It matters not the reason.
Old 30-09-2008, 18:30   #65
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Does it matter which is more dangerous?

Anything that impairs a driver from driving competently and safely or distracts the driver from doing so, is dangerous. And that includes talking to passengers, smoking, scratching your nose, fiddling with the radio/CD player etc. If it causes an accident and someone gets killed they are still dead. It matters not the reason.
I agree,I would never let the wife in the car.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 15:57   #66
God Member

anyone driving without insurance should have their car crushed with them in it

anyone caught talking on a mobile while driving should rightly get points and a fine

anyone caught texting and driving should be dragged out of their car and severely beaten then fined and 3 points on their licence

to drive a transit van you shoud have to take an extra test as it is clear the majority of them think they are in a micra and think just because they dont have a rear window they dont need to check whats behind them or along side them

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 16:10   #67

anyone caught usein a mobile while drivin should be banned for 2year from ownin a mobile,
pussycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 16:13   #68
God Member

They'd be distraught!
If they find the importance to txt/talk while driving, banning them from a mobile phone wouldn't half upset them

Not that it could happen lol
Old 02-10-2008, 16:21   #69
Resting in Peace

Why do people find the need to use a mobile phone whilst driving anyway. mobiles have only been with us two minutes, we managed without them before, so whats the poblem now, I'd go as fare as to saw anyone pulled up with a phone switched on should get 6 points on the licence, that would make them think twice about using them whilst in a car
Old 02-10-2008, 16:51   #70
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pussycat View Post
anyone caught usein a mobile while drivin should be banned for 2year from ownin a mobile,
The punishment should be car related not phone related. What you going to do if someone is caught giving ****deleted some rude bits ****
Old 02-10-2008, 16:58   #71
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I am a motorist and it bugs me that they purge on certain 'money making' crimes

Iy used to be a regular thing, round the corner of where I worked, the last 2 days of every month there used to be mobile cameras on a carpark at the bottom of a hill. (the top road into Haslingden). There used to be about 4 or 5 coppers there, and it was purely to make sure numbers were met and money targets hit.

On the other hand, when I worked behind a bar at the pretty much the same time, I had a bottle thrown at my head bu a punter, called 999, nearly two hours later the police turned up.

I always thought speed restrictions were there to save lives and costly hospital bills but then after 40yrs of driving with no driving related endorsements I must live in a different world.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 18:06   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The punishment should be car related not phone related. What you going to do if someone is caught giving ****deleted some rude bits ****
its just what i think , i would rather loss my money then my phone, my life is on my phone , ,and rather givin a driver 2-3 points for him or her just to do it again , i,d ban them from havin a phone and its warning , for other ,

Last edited by pussycat; 03-10-2008 at 18:09.
pussycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 18:22   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
What we what is a Police force with enough boots on the ground actually doing grass roots Policing to tackle all crime all of the time.
That says it all IMO
Old 03-10-2008, 20:33   #74
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
was a car clamped on lister street a couple of hours ago, so looks like there doing car tax as well.
Ok, what is "clamping"?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 21:16   #75
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Ok, what is "clamping"?
this is a clamp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clamp.jpg (3.4 KB, 2 views)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..