Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2008, 11:57   #91
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Local police 'safety purge'

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
So, perhaps Neil will inform them that this is not the correct title ...
If we reported all the errors in the paper they would not have enough time to write next weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
If thats the one on dill hall lane katex, it wasnt vandals, it was passing cars that struggle because of the way that the homeowners park both sides of the road (even the ones with drives), and park at stupid angles, have seen a few damaged cars over there lately.
A year or so ago there were a lot of door mirrors smashed off on the footpath side while the cars were parked.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:02   #92
God Member

There were a good few in the last few weeks neil, but in the main, i dont have a lot of sympathy for some of them. Technically, is illegal to double park (across from another vehicle when the road isnt wide enough) and to park on the footpath, so in any event, they are parking illegally, if that results in door/wing mirrors occasionally, at about 100 quid a chuck, is thier own fault.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:09   #93
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Did you know that the law does not say you can't park on the footpath? It is however illegal to drive on the footpath. Then again the law is an ass.

It is illegal to park causing an obstruction though.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:14   #94
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Forgot you were common
Too right I am, no point buying hankies when you got sleeves
Old 05-10-2008, 12:24   #95
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Local police 'safety purge'

With today’s technology I would have thought that the car manufacturers would have come up with something different to a door/wing mirror.

For a start, if a roof rack is reckoned to increase fuel consumption then so do external mirrors to some degree.

Years ago when drivers did their signalling with the right hand/arm the flip up indicator was invented. If you wanted to turn right you flicked a switch and out swivelled an arm to indicate so. Or one on the left side if turning left. So why can’t some engineer do the same for external mirrors? Park the car and turn off the ignition and the mirrors retract out of harms way. Turn on the ignition and out they come. Simple. No doubt the car manufacturers would take advantage and stick an extra few hundred quid on the cost of a car.

But that would only solve the “passing cars/vandals smashing mirrors whilst parked” problem. It would not address the fuel increase problem or touching mirrors with on coming traffic whilst in motion in a tight spot.

What if there was a mirror sized LCD display on the right and left on top of dashboard in line with where the door mirrors are now, that are connected by fibre optics to two cameras at the back of the car, say as part of the rear light clusters. Of course this would mean that you would not be able to see the back of your car, which can be so useful when reversing.

But hey! What a problems for but for solving?
Old 05-10-2008, 12:25   #96
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Did you know that the law does not say you can't park on the footpath? It is however illegal to drive on the footpath. Then again the law is an ass.

Eeew you are correct Neil, didn't know that .. looked it up ... here it is.

Department for Transport - Parking on pavements and alongside dropped kerbs

Think it is a difficult one when parking on the road opposite to another one (who is to say which car parked first !), as against on the pavement . as long as room for prams, wheelchairs, etc.

Last week travelled down Audley Range, and due to the heavy population there, they were all parked on the pavement ... scoffed at this, but obviously, perfectly legal then.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:34   #97
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post

. So why can’t some engineer do the same for external mirrors? Park the car and turn off the ignition and the mirrors retract out of harms way. Turn on the ignition and out they come. Simple. No doubt the car manufacturers would take advantage and stick an extra few hundred quid on the cost of a car.
Lots of modern cars already have this facility Jambutty .. know my brother's Avensis does ... whether it was an extra ... not sure.

Actually, not sure in retrospect whether linked up to the ignition, or just a button inside that you press to retract them .. which is still good.

Last edited by katex; 05-10-2008 at 12:37.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:39   #98
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Local police 'safety purge'

Quote:

Quote:
You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London, and should not do so elsewhere unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs or with visual impairments and people with prams or pushchairs.

DO NOT stop or park
opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle.
The question is what is “causing an obstruction”? I would suggest that at the very minimum the gap between cars parked on either side of the road should be wide enough to allow the standard width vehicle, like an emergency vehicle or an HGV, passage without having to slow down to a crawl.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:45   #99
God Member

My cars mirrors fold away with a switch or if already switched, when the doors close and the engine is off, some cars also have camera's in the back for reversing, is probably a cost issue, also, the manufacturers make millions from broken mirrors, the price of which is probably excessive because they know they are going to sell.
Old 05-10-2008, 17:34   #100
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
The “Denver Boot” immobilises the vehicle whilst the tow truck gets round to it.

It also gives the luckless driver the opportunity to pay out loads of money to have it removed and thus saves on the expense of towing it away.
Maybe ... but doesn't the driver have to pay the expense of towing anyway, and a hefty impound fee? Ah well, different folks etc.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 13:34   #101

Can someone please send the police/traffic warden to my street. They would making a killing in fines. I am sick to the back teeth with idiots thinking the one way sign does not apply to them. I can guarantee a minimum of 2 muppets a day going down the hill instead of up. Even a neighbour parks his car down the hill. What do the police do? Nothing. Why? The local community officer has told me they would rather not cause any racial tension. Poppycock. I don't care. I don't want to see an accident/death because some ignorant little scrout can't follow the rules.
mothernature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 20:23   #102
God Member

Quote:
You old fart

Not seen a wing mirror on a car made since before the early 80's
Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Well, what else are they called ....
I'm no owd fart but, like Katex, I wondered what other name wing mirrors went by until I read further posts on this thread.

I've always called them wing mirrors, never heard them called anything else.
Old 06-10-2008, 20:58   #103
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I've always called them wing mirrors, never heard them called anything else.
Shuddup and get to Asda for some cat food pouches. Make sure you go when it is dark so no one sees you buying the smart price ones
Old 06-10-2008, 21:03   #104
Senior Member+

Quote:
Shuddup and get to Asda for some cat food pouches. Make sure you go when it is dark so no one sees you buying the smart price ones
LOL neil....... looks like your getting blended

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 21:18   #105
God Member

Quote:
I didn't know smart price did cat food.

You'd know though.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..