Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-02-2009, 14:34   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Location of Accrington area pubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
funnily enough those are the 2 off the list i was never barred from.
Well there you are then Cashy!....and i bet you thought all them Evil thoughts you had about the Pubs concerned had been in vain!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-02-2009, 15:17   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
WEll Eric, the breweries have gone to, except Thwaites, the Load of Mischief is long gone , they put a motorway through it. I think the Comercial is an Indian restuarant now. and theres only the bottom club open now,
The Load of Mischief gone!!! Reminds me of Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi" they "paved paradise to put up a parking lot." Lions Brewery and Massey's will not be missed, but Dutton's put out a decent pint ... had a summer job there in '65 .... great job, got hammered every day .... so I suppose the Middle Club is gone too .... they used to have an annual excursion to Blackpool for the kids .... half a crown to the first one to spot the tower from the bus .... Charlie Cairoli and Paul, Reginald Dixon at the organ .... Pablo's ice cream .... Progress sucks
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 16:18   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
The Load of Mischief gone!!! Reminds me of Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi" they "paved paradise to put up a parking lot." Lions Brewery and Massey's will not be missed, but Dutton's put out a decent pint ... had a summer job there in '65 .... great job, got hammered every day .... so I suppose the Middle Club is gone too .... they used to have an annual excursion to Blackpool for the kids .... half a crown to the first one to spot the tower from the bus .... Charlie Cairoli and Paul, Reginald Dixon at the organ .... Pablo's ice cream .... Progress sucks
I'll have you know Eric Lions was an acquired taste, and it put hairs on your chest, if you could drink Lions you could tame um
Old 18-02-2009, 16:37   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'll have you know Eric Lions was an acquired taste, and it put hairs on your chest, if you could drink Lions you could tame um
Lions was an aquired taste ... but one lifetime was too short to aquire it .... great stuff if you want to purge your bowels .... I'm glad to note that you didn't mention Massey's
Old 18-02-2009, 16:43   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Lions was an aquired taste ... but one lifetime was too short to aquire it .... great stuff if you want to purge your bowels .... I'm glad to note that you didn't mention Massey's
Masseys, I wouldn't wash my feet in that Eric
Old 18-02-2009, 16:57   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Masseys, I wouldn't wash my feet in that Eric
Well somebody did ... at least in the pint I drank
Old 18-02-2009, 17:16   #22
God Member

Come to think of it, Massey's was brewed (concocted) in Burnley .... 'nuff said.
Old 18-02-2009, 17:21   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

speaking as n authority on ale in them days Eric, Lions made the best bottle this side of watford gap- the pint "Crystal" concede though Masseys was typical "Dingle" Fare= 2nd rate.
Old 18-02-2009, 17:42   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
speaking as n authority on ale in them days Eric, Lions made the best bottle this side of watford gap- the pint "Crystal" concede though Masseys was typical "Dingle" Fare= 2nd rate.
Here's to the full English Breakfast - A pint Crystal and 5 Woodbines.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 17:48   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Here's to the full English Breakfast - A pint Crystal and 5 Woodbines.
i'll drink to that,if ya make it Park Drive.
Old 18-02-2009, 18:18   #26
God Member

Quote:
i'll drink to that,if ya make it Park Drive.
I'll go for the Park Drive (or Capstan) but I'd still rather wash them down with a good pint of Thwaites' bitter ... I still think that bottled beer is for times when a decent pint of draught isn't close to hand .... I have to admit that there are worse beers than Massey's .... they used to have a brew in Nottingham called Shipstone's (or Sh**stone's as it was lovingly known) ....

I know it's a little off topic, but I wonder why Thwaites' is still going while Dutton's, Lions, and Massey's went under ... I mean, apart from the fact that they put out a superior product.
Old 18-02-2009, 21:07   #27
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
jumping from another thread, .......is there anyway that an Accyweb user with computer skills can set up an "interactive" map of Hyndburn showing the locations of all the old pubs and W.M.clubs (with original names and new names), maybe linked to Google earth so we can see what has replaced the ones no longer standing

just an idea , thanks
I have the names of all the old pubs, beer houses, yards, courts, streets and terraces dating back to the 1840's.

Also a list I compiled when I was indexing parish registers, of all the old trades, dating back to 1560.

They are in a file in another computer, which runs under DOS6. It won't transfer to any of bill gates sh1te and be readable.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 18-02-2009 at 21:09.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 21:27   #28
Super Moderator

Quote:
Must disagree with you there, Eric. I always thought Lions was a cracking pint. A good brown and mild split was always a joy to drink in a Lions pub. However, I'm with the majority on Massey's...foul stuff.

Incidentally, when you were at school did you ever enjoy a lunchtime pint in the Globe (corner of Scaitcliffe St and Blackburn Road)? An excellent hostelry run by Doreen, who was always happy to serve a young chap in an AGS uniform, without raising an eyebrow!
Old 18-02-2009, 21:38   #29
God Member

I was brought up on lion ale, lovely stuff thwaites is like dish water, never liked that much
Posted via Mobile Device
K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 22:19   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Out of those, just the Black Dog and Forts Arms still Left i'm afraid!

Best Regards - Taggy
Quote:
funnily enough those are the 2 off the list i was never barred from.
They'll have anyone in there.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..