Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-02-2009, 22:21   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Location of Accrington area pubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
They'll have anyone in there.
Many a true word is spoken in jest.
Old 18-02-2009, 23:25   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Must disagree with you there, Eric. I always thought Lions was a cracking pint. A good brown and mild split was always a joy to drink in a Lions pub. However, I'm with the majority on Massey's...foul stuff.

Incidentally, when you were at school did you ever enjoy a lunchtime pint in the Globe (corner of Scaitcliffe St and Blackburn Road)? An excellent hostelry run by Doreen, who was always happy to serve a young chap in an AGS uniform, without raising an eyebrow!
There was a pub close to school .... came out of the school, turned right, past the bus stop, and only a short walk .... but for the life of me, I can't remember the name of the place ... it was definitely on a corner ... and I did go in several times, esp. during exams .... damn memory is always the second thing to go

And for the record: I still think Lions sucks .... tho' not as bad as Massey's
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 00:29   #33
God Member

Going back to when I was first wed and moved to Accy fro Arrod , my local was either the Antley or the Oak Tree , allways preferred the Oak Tree , seem to think the landlady was called Florence at that time .

bit biased here about Lion ales , my Grandad was a drayman for them from his coming home from WWI when they used steam wagons up untill he died in the late 50s, his wagon number was 47, and could he sup ...... funny thing is after the Seven Trees (Whalley New Road) is his favourite/regular pub was the "Little Harwood" a Thwaites pub on Whalley Old Rd (Little Harwood), maybe the fact it was only a few houses down fro where he lived had something to do with it .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 00:35   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Going back to when I was first wed and moved to Accy fro Arrod , my local was either the Antley or the Oak Tree , allways preferred the Oak Tree , seem to think the landlady was called Florence at that time .

bit biased here about Lion ales , my Grandad was a drayman for them from his coming home from WWI when they used steam wagons up untill he died in the late 50s, his wagon number was 47, and could he sup ...... funny thing is after the Seven Trees (Whalley New Road) is his favourite/regular pub was the "Little Harwood" a Thwaites pub on Whalley Old Rd (Little Harwood), maybe the fact it was only a few houses down fro where he lived had something to do with it .
hell steeljack thats a blast from the past, used to go out wi landlords daughter of the seven trees, she worked in blackburn woolys, cracking lass, what years was ya goin in antley n oak tree?
Old 19-02-2009, 00:45   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
hell steeljack thats a blast from the past, used to go out wi landlords daughter of the seven trees, she worked in blackburn woolys, cracking lass, what years was ya goin in antley n oak tree?
moved into an house in Newark st. early 69 and left for overseas in late 72. think an old flame of yours lived opposite a few doors down Pat C. .

Re, the Seven Trees , think its long gone same with the 'Little Harwood Inn' , the Bastwell and the Plane tree , changing demographics , think the 'miserable Methodists' have taken over
Old 19-02-2009, 00:51   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
moved into an house in Newark st. early 69 and left for overseas in late 72. think an old flame of yours lived opposite a few doors down Pat C. .

Re, the Seven Trees , think its long gone same with the 'Little Harwood Inn' , the Bastwell and the Plane tree , changing demographics , think the 'miserable Methodists' have taken over
nah was me mate went wi her, i went wi her mate. seven trees is long gone, last time i was in yon, "Billy Fury" was on at the starlight, happy days.
Old 19-02-2009, 04:11   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
nah was me mate went wi her, i went wi her mate. seven trees is long gone, last time i was in yon, "Billy Fury" was on at the starlight, happy days.
Happy days indeed. I'll drink to that
Old 19-02-2009, 05:21   #38

Last time I was at the Starlight the Driffters were on , and dont forget the Cavendish was going at that time as well, Blackburn was buzzin in those days, I think the building of the seven Trees is still there, asians using it now. We were truly out of sight, sharp, confident, FREE, One hand in pocket with vent parted, and that certain walk, any of you guys want to add anything.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 05:29   #39
God Member

Quote:
the Globe (corner of Scaitcliffe St and Blackburn Road)? An excellent hostelry run by Doreen,
I'm thinking a little , well built lady who wore glasses
Old 19-02-2009, 07:16   #40
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm thinking a little , well built lady who wore glasses
That's the one, ran the pub most ably with her daughters.
Old 19-02-2009, 07:22   #41
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Last time I was at the Starlight the Driffters were on , and dont forget the Cavendish was going at that time as well, Blackburn was buzzin in those days, I think the building of the seven Trees is still there, asians using it now. We were truly out of sight, sharp, confident, FREE, One hand in pocket with vent parted, and that certain walk, any of you guys want to add anything.
Al, I had to go up to Accy to see relatives last Saturday and I took the train up for a change. Also, took the opportunity to have a wander round Blackburn for the first time in around 20 years. The centre has changed beyond recognition; however, you'll be pleased to know that the St John's Tavern is still there. One of the old haunts of the "in-crowd", still going strong!
Old 19-02-2009, 09:55   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Al, I had to go up to Accy to see relatives last Saturday and I took the train up for a change. Also, took the opportunity to have a wander round Blackburn for the first time in around 20 years. The centre has changed beyond recognition; however, you'll be pleased to know that the St John's Tavern is still there. One of the old haunts of the "in-crowd", still going strong!
St John's Tavern Wynonie, that brings back memories, the last time I was in there was having a drink with Alan (Chalkie) White, comedian, you can tell how long ago it was Alan was threatening to move in next door to an annoy drunk and devalue his house. For those who don't know Alan is a West Indian
Old 20-02-2009, 18:22   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Reading this ... particularly the last part ... reminds me of how important clothes were: the right suit, the right colored lining for the jacket, the width of the tie, what kind of shirt collar was appropriate ... and the shoes: how pointed could the toes get! And what color of luminous socks. Now, I grab the nearest pair of jeans, a sweat shirt with a design on it, color doesn't matter (I do have a fondness for wolf and bear designs, tho), locate a couple of socks (I have two kinds: black or white) ... a pair of sneakers (summer) or boots (winter) ... and off to the bar .... unless I'm going somewhere special, or with someone special, that's it .... seemed that way back yon, every night out was special enough to dress for.
Old 21-02-2009, 09:52   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
St John's Tavern Wynonie, that brings back memories, the last time I was in there was having a drink with Alan (Chalkie) White, comedian, you can tell how long ago it was Alan was threatening to move in next door to an annoy drunk and devalue his house. For those who don't know Alan is a West Indian
John, if thats the same Alan White who also used to do the clubs over in Benidorm over recent years, i'm sorry to say that he passed away last year. What a nice Guy he was, sadly missed.

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 10:22   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
John, if thats the same Alan White who also used to do the clubs over in Benidorm over recent years, i'm sorry to say that he passed away last year. What a nice Guy he was, sadly missed.

Best Regards - Taggy
Ya thats the same one Taggy, didn't know about his death, he was a really nice bloke and very good company

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..