Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-06-2006, 11:46   #1
Resting in Peace

London bombings

I have just watched the news on the BBC and again there were references made to the atrocities which took place in London on 7th July last year. I wonder if anyone else on here thinks that its time that all T. V. news programs now stopped using those graphic scenes in Tavistock Square whenever they mention 7/7 on their bulletins, after all the relatives of those killed and injured on that terible day don't need reminding about it every time something concted is covered on the news.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-06-2006, 12:30   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: London bombings

Difficult one that Jaysay, understand what you are trying to say, however, sure lots of people would agree that we need reminding periodically so that we don't get too complacent of any future dangers.

We are subjected to images of past wars on many occasions to remind us and sincerely hope it does.

As for the relatives, well, I'm sure that the news reels are firmly implanted in their memories anyway and the terrible tragedy and trauma of losing a loved one this way will never go away, so any repeated items will not be the trigger to remind them.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2006, 14:36   #3
God Member

I really don't like the way the media covers these incidents now. I feel that they sensationalise them from day one and must cause untold hurt to the families.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2006, 17:56   #4

It happens all over the world............you may remember the Lindy Chamberlain case where a dingo and a baby were involved at Ayers Rock...this happened back in the 70,s.....and it is still being dragged into the press regularly.....there is no escape for her and her family....

Tal
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2006, 17:56   #5
Beacon of light

I agree with your sentiments Gayle....I also worry about the publicity it gives to the cause of the militant muslims too....and whilst it may not put ideas in the heads of other young fanatics...it does keep the topic 'alive'.

Katex, yes you are right about the relatives of the victims...whatever is shown, they must live (in their minds) the horror that their loved ones went through on a daily basis. Torture is too fine a word for it.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2006, 02:34   #6
Senior Member+

whereas i agree that that sometimes it causes grief to the families i'm sure but i think there is a certain correctness to the whole lest we forget thing where we need to be reminded sometimes why certian things are happening now.

i think people are too quick to forget in the sense that there still is fallout coming from that terrible day a year ago and for many more years it will still come. the whole forest green thing that went down in london recently might have people up in arms about the dodgy intelligence they've received but the police in some respects are right. they'd rather raid ten wrong houses than to not raid any and allow another 7/7 to happen.

there's a good reason why rememberence day happens and this will fall in the same category. those that were misled 60-odd years ago created huge devastation. those that are getting misled now could cause similar. its not a far fetched scheme.
Old 25-06-2006, 06:47   #7
God Member

I totally agree with you about the raids. I know it's awful but imagine how the police would get slagged off if it was found out afterwards that they'd had a tip off about someone but not acted on it. I know that I live in a very cosy world so I'm probably not the right person to comment but from my perspective it makes sense to investigate every potential threat to us all.

Perhaps what is needed is some form of mechanism that deals with the aftermath if the wrong person/house is raided i.e. a small amount of compensation or very public apologies (although having said that, the guys that got raided the other week did get very public apologies and even that wasn't good enough for them). So I don't quite know what the answer is but there needs to be something in place.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2006, 18:15   #8

I think its pretty sick and wrong that the BBC actually won an award for their coverage on the London Bombings! At the Television Awards!
morgan_brotherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2006, 23:48   #9
I am Banned

ime fed up with all the reminders of teh bombings its not as though they happen half as much as what the IRA did but then again if the government keeps us scared of bombings we wont kick up as much of a fuss when they rush laws through govenment which protect us / allow us to be detained indefinatly without been charged and without any evidence aginst us

mind you anything that keeps diana's death off the front page is ok by me
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2006, 03:57   #10
Senior Member+

*L* chav u just had to b the one to bring that up.

it was totally ironic that when diana died a few papers were runnin a anti-diana angle in their stories and then after she was the 2nd coming that never came

the whole point of keepin such things in the public eye is scare mongering i belive. i mean look at the story in the usa about those guys wanting to blow up the sears tower. on one hand they're sayin we had it all under control no one was gonna do anything - yet on the other hand they're sayin this was a very real threat that was close to happening. and thus the people scared afraid will sign their liberties away and not even realise
Old 26-06-2006, 16:16   #11
I am Banned

give it another 10 years and the only place you will be able to find any sort of freedom will be russia

blair and bush between them wont be happy until we are all living in such and amount of fear we will blindly agree to every shred of our freedom been stripped away

ps:

no i am not a tory lol but i cant say ime happy with the clown thats running labour , i have a funny feeling under his suit he wears a brown shirt with one of those crooked crosses on it , the only reason he didnt write a book about his polotics is because some other guy beat him to it and called it mein campf

ime just glad mr blair is more tollerant of jews because although not jewish my nose would be the envy of any jew alive
Old 26-06-2006, 16:44   #12
Resting in peace

We are constantly being told that "It's not a question of if, it's a question of when", particularly in London. If you lose someone you love in such an awful way, you wont' forget, whether anyone reminds you or not. I still think about Jamie, the chap who stayed over with a friend and who rang his girlfriend to say he was getting on a bus. Following 7/7, she put up posters on every lamppost near us, asking if anyone had seen him. It took a couple of weeks to confirm that he had died on the No. 30 bus. Every time I walk through Tavistock Square, I can see the marks on the walls of the GMC building where they were damaged by shrapnel. Perhaps we shouldn't forget, and if we occasionally need reminding, is that a bad thing?

It is a very true saying - "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance".
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2006, 16:56   #13
I am Banned

if its going to happen its going to happen

all that is been done by constantly harping on about these bombings is giving the terrorists more publicity

in the so called war on terror i would say the terrorists are winning and they are doing it with a lot of help from the government , television and newpapers

they dont need to raise their ugly heads to let us know what they are capable of because al of teh above are constantly reminding us
Old 26-06-2006, 16:58   #14
Resident Waffler

I think it's right that we shouldn't forget or get too complacent about things but I do think that showing the graphic details is no longer necessary. At the time I was glued to the AccyWeb and the TV trying to find out what was going on and if anyone I knew had been hurt. I wanted to see every bit of news and film, but that was then. If I'd lost a loved one or if any of my friends or relatives were in the news footage I wouldn't want to keep seeing their suffering all over again. No, you don't ever forget it but time is kind to the memories and they are not quite so painful as seeing it as it happened.

Perhaps the news coverage just needs to get into perspective.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 03:02   #15
Senior Member+

i agree to the point someone made of giving them extra publivcity - if the press didnt make a huge fuss over the forest green raid in the first place and just held back until it was confirmed that something was or wasnt found there wudnt be half the tension that there was

not saying it is this but at times the coverage in the press can be twisted by some people so that it looks like islamaphobia - and the people willing will use this view to recruit more to their cause - if nothing else they'll get some more ppl less sympathetic the uk security forces.

yeah freedom of speech is a wonderful thing but at times that speech needs to have a tape across its mouth

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..