Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-06-2006, 17:12   #1
I am Banned

the bee and pb

did anyone catch PB on the radio today talking about littering?

how do i get a job implimenting the fines i could make a fortune for the council slapping fines on the bas**ards around here throwing bottles and the like

ps:

do i get a special hat like traffic wardens do so that people can see that an a$$hole is approaching or is a more undercover position ?

oooh and a camera would be nice too

working on commision would be nice but willing to accept £10 per hour

Last edited by chav1; 16-06-2006 at 17:14.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-06-2006, 22:14   #2
God Member

Re: the bee and pb

our town atually used the towns cctv and special undercover officers to fine people who dropped cigarettes ends on the pavements. This is despite the fact that non of the rubbish bins had stubbers on them. SO before you go in the supermarket to buy your food, your supposed to throw it on the floor step on it to put it out and pick it up to put it in the plastic bins or stub it out on the shop front, blackening the wall up and then put it in the bin. They have since fitted metal bins with stubbers on the top, whether I had anything to do with this i'm not sure but they sudenly appeared one day. Still a risk of the bin being set on fire though.

Anyway, my friend threw the butt on the floor and stubbed it out, the bods in the cctv dept radiod the secret undercover cigarette but dropper spotter and she followed my friend in to sommerfield, which is private property, then, infront of her 5 yr old daughter proceeded to tell her how naughty she'd been, and that what she'd done is illegal as it's littering, and that she wanted my friends name and address as she'd get a 60 pound fine. The daughter became very upset at this and started to cry.
she got the fine, but I believe it was dropped in the end. I'm totally against littering but I still believe this to be a totall waste of public money, infact an illegal use of public money as it's not the reason or use the cctv equipment was installed for for.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2006, 23:04   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
did anyone catch PB on the radio today talking about littering?

how do i get a job implimenting the fines i could make a fortune for the council slapping fines on the bas**ards around here throwing bottles and the like
The Clean Green Neighbourhoods Act 2005
Introduced by the Government as part of the respect agenda (clampdown on ASB) this aspect cuts bureacracy by introducing a wider range of Fixed Penalty Notices, avoiding costly/bureacratic court cases. Dog Fouling, Litter etc.. plus some new ones (not fly tipping - that is more serious than a FPN)

Hyndburn Borough Council
They are not taking on any more or new staff to implement this*. The idea is that they will high profile target some areas and back it up with high profile press coverage.

My question is how long can this strategy be maintained before it wears thin, or the public realise that the chances of being caught haven't gone up at all?

* Except for the 5 priority wards only;
Two new Environmental Health Officers are being employed by the Council on short term contracts with (NRF) Government money.

This could be another Wardens situation. Other authorities (e.g Pendle) who use this type of pump priming funding think ahead and budget the new staff in future years from their own funds, so the pump priming is not wasted, unlike HBC.

Last edited by g jones; 16-06-2006 at 23:15.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2006, 23:10   #4
Give, give, give member

In London a lot of the bins have an ashtray on them. What are smokers supposed to do up here, drop them in with the very few litter bins?

Broadway could go up in a great fire whilst I'm having a smoke waiting outside the pound shops.

Oh well, never mind.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2006, 01:56   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
In London a lot of the bins have an ashtray on them. What are smokers supposed to do up here, drop them in with the very few litter bins?

Broadway could go up in a great fire whilst I'm having a smoke waiting outside the pound shops.

Oh well, never mind.
this was my argument on the towns web site and my message to the people that got the fpn. I suspect that a complaint was made that as no suitable safe means of disposing the butts was provided, it was wrong for thinking of public safety by stubbing them out on the floor. I also think my point led to the bins being fitted with the stubbers.

I sill wanna know where all these pound shops are, I visit accy poundshop town and only find one, I was gutted.

they will be wardens, you'll get wardens and they'll missuse the towns cctv to get evidence of rindy doing the unforgivable crime, just incase he refuses to cough up the 60 quid fpn.

A chip wrapper or carton especially when a bins a few steps away yes I agree with, but plain clothes rubbish detectives with hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of high tech cctv cameras, that are meant to be watching people to detect crime, not zoomed in to peoples hands. No it's ludicrous. If someone hit one of mz ormerods customers coming out the shop and robbed her purse, do you think they'd be happy being told' no sorry it wasn't on cctv, they were being used for fag watch at the time and no, no cops in the area but we had rubbish detectives.

Am I mad or is it the world around me ?
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2006, 10:29   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
In London a lot of the bins have an ashtray on them. .
You found a bin in london?? I was wondering around for a few hours with rubbish in my hands looking for a bin lol..

I'm against littering, but fining people £60 is over the top I think. It's not so black and white, as the cigarette stubs shows. If you put it in proportion with other crimes, then the punishment for littering has to be lowered, or they should be more strict with things such as theft. You know, those people who steal things from all the major shops in town, and get little or no punishment, they're just back doing the same thing later on..
Old 17-06-2006, 10:36   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr
You found a bin in london?? I was wondering around for a few hours with rubbish in my hands looking for a bin lol..
After a bomb that sadly killed people was planted in a bin at Victoria station they were all removed from indoor places. That wasn't such a pain, because you can't smoke in any station or tube. There are still plenty of bins, all with seperate ashtrays to stop the litter from catching fire.

Happily there was a bin on Piccadilly where I caught my bus to Knightsbridge every morning. I could enjoy my smoke, away from the bus stop in a doorway, and could safely dispose of it in the ashtray attached to the bin.

Old 17-06-2006, 10:41   #8
God Member

Yeah I didn't mean indoor areas, I walked from Westminister (I got to watch Prime Ministers Questions ) to Nelsons Column and didn't find any Perhaps I just have bad eyes, I didn't have my glasses on
Old 17-06-2006, 10:43   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr
Yeah I didn't mean indoor areas, I walked from Westminister (I got to watch Prime Ministers Questions ) to Nelsons Column and didn't find any Perhaps I just have bad eyes, I didn't have my glasses on
You must have bad eyes then.

As you walked up Whitehall there is definitely a bin by the bus stops opposite the Whitehall Theatre.

Last edited by garinda; 17-06-2006 at 13:01.
Old 17-06-2006, 10:50   #10
Give, give, give member

If we are to be fined if we don't put a cigarette butt in a bin, or put rubbish that could be re-cycled in our wheelie bin, will HBC also be fined if they don't empty the bins often enough?

The two bins at Foxhill Nature Reserve are obviously well used because they are over flowing, with the rubbish cascading all over the floor, and it's been like that for months.

Old 17-06-2006, 12:05   #11
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: the bee and pb

The day of Big Brother moves ever closer.
Old 18-06-2006, 06:12   #12
God Member

If dropping litter is now to attract a fixed penalty of £60.00 then I suppose that the company which operates the refuse collections is going to be bankrupt within a month, or do the fixed penalty notices not apply to the main cause of street litter?
Old 18-06-2006, 07:14   #13
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

If they are going to target certain areas, may I suggest that they start with Meadow St and Hood St. There is always litter, broken glass and half eaten kebabs on the road around there. I have to drive over it all to get out of my street. It's the same people who litter, week in week out. If anyone from the council wants to pm me, I'll give you their addresses...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2006, 09:04   #14
God Member

I wonder if they realise that a lot of the litter is from nights out (takeaway food etc)
I don't supposed the litter police will be working after 5 will they?
Old 18-06-2006, 09:08   #15
Resting in Peace

And most of it ends up in my front garden
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..