Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-06-2006, 10:54   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: the bee and pb

[QUOTE=garinda]After a bomb that sadly killed people was planted in a bin at Victoria station they were all removed from indoor places. That wasn't such a pain, because you can't smoke in any station or tube./QUOTE]

Whilst waiting in Rome airport for 8 hours last month, noticed no litter bins to dispose of our sandwich wrappers,etc. Asked an official this and after much thought she explained had all been taken away due to security reasons and just to leave it wherever. Did appear to be cleaners coming round regularly, but still looked a mess.

I could sorta' understand the logic of this, but puzzled me why our Airports, with our high sensitivity to security did not do this ? It must have been considered and over-ridden. Any ideas why, therefore, to have them, than not.?

Did notice last year that Manchester city centre had taken away a great number of their ash-tray top litter bins, and thought was a scheme for a good little earner from cigarette smokers; seem to be coming back now though.

This thread prompted me to have a leisurely stroll round Accy centre yesterday, and must admit all the cigarette butts don't enhance the streets at all, along, of course, with all the sweet papers, etc.

I haven't dropped a cigarette end in the street for a long time now (miss goodey-two shoes). Sometimes I wait for it to extinguish completely and then put in the bin, other times, dock it and put in handbag. My favourite method now is to take my own portable ash-tray, which was a stocking filler one Christmas from my daughter. Worth its weight in gold This latter solution could be difficult for men of course .. no Garinda not going to say the obvious to you, think you have enough to contend with from yer mates ... tee hee.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-06-2006, 16:40   #17
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
This latter solution could be difficult for men of course .. no Garinda not going to say the obvious to you, think you have enough to contend with from yer mates ... tee hee.
A h-a-n-d-b-a-g?

Check your bag after the next meet.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2006, 22:58   #18
God Member

Most city centre bins a are bomb proof now, our council thinks Atherstone is a city and full of alkiada terrosrist groups when in fact it's just full of alcy's caused by having the most pubs in the smallest area in the world, they suffer severly from delussions of grandure, as do a great deal of others in the town.
Anyway we've got bomb proof rubbish bins with stubbers on top, not ashtrays though, just stubbers. Mostly in the towns colours of green and gold.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2006, 23:02   #19
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
Most city centre bins a are bomb proof now, our council thinks Atherstone is a city and full of alkiada terrosrist groups when in fact it's just full of alcy's caused by having the most pubs in the smallest area in the world, they suffer severly from delussions of grandure, as do a great deal of others in the town.
Anyway we've got bomb proof rubbish bins with stubbers on top, not ashtrays though, just stubbers. Mostly in the towns colours of green and gold.
What's a bomb proof bin made out of?

It's not usually the bin that's dangerous, it's all the crap they pack in the bomb, which could then be placed in the bin.

Old 18-06-2006, 23:08   #20
God Member

dunno. cos it's covvered in what looks like rippled bitumen, but apparently when it goes off, it containes the contents of the bomb by not ripping open from the explosion. Suppose it's designed not to shatter.
Old 18-06-2006, 23:12   #21
Give, give, give member

Quote:
dunno. cos it's covvered in what looks like rippled bitumen, but apparently when it goes off, it containes the contents of the bomb by not ripping open from the explosion. Suppose it's designed not to shatter.
Does it have a lid?

Old 18-06-2006, 23:25   #22
God Member

nope, it's got three holes, and a back door for the bin man.
Old 19-06-2006, 20:23   #23

Quote:
nope, it's got three holes, and a back door for the bin man.
Feel free to insert your own joke here
Old 19-06-2006, 22:22   #24
Resident Waffler

Didn't we used to have those black ones here on Broadway before the refurb?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2006, 22:49   #25
God Member

binmen or bins?
Old 20-06-2006, 01:09   #26
God Member

Cyfr wrote " I wonder if they realise that a lot of the litter is from nights out (takeaway food etc)
I don't supposed the litter police will be working after 5 will they?"

this is what a local City council near me did earlier this year , not sure if local authorites in the UK have the power to introduce local taxes , but if they have the power to introduce fixed penalties they should be able to regulate take-aways ......if it means prices go up and fewer people eat crap/junk food...so be it .......fewer fatties waddling around, (less visual blight)

U.S. city brings in fast-food 'litter tax'

The California city of Oakland is slapping a new tax on fast-food restaurants and convenience stores to fund the cost of cleaning up litter from patrons.

The tax brought in Tuesday night is thought to be the first of its kind in the United States.

Eateries and convenience stores will have to pay between $230 and $3,800 US a year, with the exact amount depending on their size.

Oakland council member Jane Brunner said the assessment will cost most businesses only 63 cents a day.

"I don't think that's too much to ask so neighbours don't have to keep picking up trash from their doorways," she told reporters.

The money will be used to pay work crews to patrol the city, picking up things like burger and french-fries packaging, discarded coffee and pop cups, potato chip bags and pizza-slice holders.

At the moment, most of the garbage ends up scattered around commercial neighbourhoods near schools.

The local chamber of commerce does not like the new tax, warning that the higher cost of doing business will be passed onto fast-food restaurant customers, many of whom have low incomes.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 10:46   #27

Ill be on "The Bee" next week with Steve Brierley to talk about the kilimanjaro trek im doing next month.

I due in on Tuesday 11.10am i dont know if ill be live or recorded.

We also have a slot on there website here:

http://www.thebee.co.uk/index.php?op...=899&Itemid=88

Warren

Blackburn Rovers Supporters Football Club

Club Website: www.brsfc.com
wozaup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 09:09   #28

Note: Im on the radio this morning live 107 FM The Bee @ 11.10am listen in for a laugh!

Old 27-06-2006, 09:15   #29

For the out-of-towners, you can listen online here:

http://www.thebee.co.uk/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=89

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..