Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 21:56   #16
God Member

Re: Lost Humor or Age Gap

Dirty jokes have always been with us ... Canterbuy Tales if full of them. I remember watching an Eddie Murphy video ... "Raw" I think it was ... and he deals with the topic in a quite articulate manner. He made the point, and made it well, that his brand of humour was much more than stringing together a whole bunch of dirty words ... And then there is the unforgettable George Carlin and his seven dirty words you can't say on TV. Personally, I don't give a rat's ass what words a comedian uses as long as he makes me laugh ... And don't forget the ladies: Marsha Warfield from "Night Court" has a fantastic stand up routine.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-02-2012, 22:04   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I don't really mind if i happen to see one in a club,pub, people enter such places by choice, if they dont like it sod off, Think though better if not on T.V. But thats just me.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:38   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Same here.

No need for course language to be amusing.

Though from what I'm told, like Bernard Manning, Roy Chubby Brown's audience mainly consists of mature people, who could be described as 'grown ups'.

That's if we consider people of pensionable age as grown ups.

Different folks...for different jokes.
I saw Manning at the Cav back in the 70s, he was a bit different in his cabaret show than he was in his own club, he didn't use one four letter word, so he proved that you don't have to use bad language to get a laugh
Old 06-02-2012, 08:42   #19
Resting in Peace

I used to frequent a pub in south London called the Montague Arms, the compare was a chap called Jim Jones, he was a very well known cockney comedian, but he very rarely appeared on TV, because of the contact of his act, the only thing was he was a brilliant singer too, which was even more sad really, he had no need to stoop to the depths to entertain
Old 06-02-2012, 08:47   #20
God Member

An interesting example of a crossover from clubland obscenity to acceptably amusing vulgarity is Paul O'Grady.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:55   #21
God Member

Well, you live and learn. I was doing a bit of reading around this subject, as you do. And I came across the odd fact that the term 'Schmuck' is a Yiddish obscenity, meaning 'Penis'. And, in 1963, its use got the American comedian, Lenny Bruce, arrested.

Funny, isn't it, how few people would know or even care what the word really meant.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:04   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
Well, you live and learn. I was doing a bit of reading around this subject, as you do. And I came across the odd fact that the term 'Schmuck' is a Yiddish obscenity, meaning 'Penis'. And, in 1963, its use got the American comedian, Lenny Bruce, arrested.

Funny, isn't it, how few people would know or even care what the word really meant.
Um I used to work for Ray Lyndon, now I know what he ment
Old 06-02-2012, 09:10   #23
God Member

And more...From the giddy heights of serious Drama daahlings, comes this....

"Oscenity has often been regarded as a characteristic of a broad, jocular mind. The opinion prevailed that it was a more or less necessary feature of Old Comedy, a kind of humour which was the only one really to be savoured by the rustics and illiterates a sort of concession to the groundlings, for which the upper strata of the audience were indeminified by the high intentions, the lyrics and the aesthetic forms of comedy.

That was Thalien M. de Wik-Tak, writing in Mnemosyne. (vol 21, 1893).

He was, of course, writing about Ancient Greek theatre in the 5th Century BC, but you knew that. Strange though, how little really changes.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 06-02-2012 at 09:13.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:25   #24
Give, give, give member

Quote:
An interesting example of a crossover from clubland obscenity to acceptably amusing vulgarity is Paul O'Grady.
Yes, but he's nowhere near as funny as Lily was, when she worked the Vauxhall Tavern, amongst other places.

Really used to make me laugh.

Mind you, I'd be in stitches, sat behind two real life scouse woman, when I was on the bus in Liverpool.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:29   #25
God Member

Quote:

Mind you, I'd be in stitches, sat behind two real life scouse woman, when I was on the bus in Liverpool.

You always were a bit of a giddy-kipper.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:32   #26
Give, give, give member

Quote:
You always were a bit of a giddy-kipper.
Though it was always my ambition to be a giddy-Gertie, but I kept failing the medical.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:34   #27
God Member

Quote:
Yes, but he's nowhere near as funny as Lily was, when she worked the Vauxhall Tavern, amongst other places.
Sigh. Happy days. Now it's all relentlessly left-wing, right-on, observational scheisse.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:43   #28
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Sigh. Happy days. Now it's all relentlessly left-wing, right-on, observational scheisse.
Nah, comedy's moved on.

All that Jo Brand PMS stuff is so old hat.

The young comics tell racist, sexist, swear ridden jokes.

But they do so 'ironically'.

Which means it's different from Bernard Manning et al because...

Er, I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:59   #29
God Member

Quote:
Nah, comedy's moved on.
But that is precisely the point of Thalien M. de Wik-Tak's comment; it doesn't move on, it merely goes round in circles. What was funny and obscenely funny in the 5th century BC is still funny two and a half thousand years later. Aristophanes' 'The Frogs' being a case in point.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:14   #30
God Member

Slapstick and the comedy of cruelty did not originate with the comedians of the music hall and the silent cinema, it is first formalised in ancient greek theatre, but it's origins are as old as humanity itself. The same goes for bum jokes!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..