Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 12:37   #1
Rest in Peace

Lost Humor or Age Gap

Have I lost my sense of humor or is it an age gap,because I cannot see anything funny in the so called jokes of these stand up comedians where they have to include one or two four letter words, and then the audience both sexes laugh and find it funny.When the comedians of old were on the television the jokes got a bit risky, but they did not have to include four letter words to make you laugh and you could watch the whole program and not be embarrased.I am glad that I can change chanels as I don't wish to listen to that sort of so called entertainment.
Just an old Fuddy Duddy.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-02-2012, 12:40   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Lost Humor or Age Gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Have I lost my sense of humor or is it an age gap,because I cannot see anything funny in the so called jokes of these stand up comedians where they have to include one or two four letter words, and then the audience both sexes laugh and find it funny.When the comedians of old were on the television the jokes got a bit risky, but they did not have to include four letter words to make you laugh and you could watch the whole program and not be embarrased.I am glad that I can change chanels as I don't wish to listen to that sort of so called entertainment.
Just an old Fuddy Duddy.
There's always been blue comedians.

Nothing new.

From the music halls, to working mens club.

Comics have sworn, people have laughed.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:42   #3
Give, give, give member

Compared to the Bernard Manning school of comics, I'd say the current crop of new comedians swear a lot less than in the past.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:50   #4
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Compared to the Bernard Manning school of comics, I'd say the current crop of new comedians swear a lot less than in the past.
No way, we are talking about television programs, not clubs
Old 05-02-2012, 13:30   #5
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

I'd say it's subjective, some can make me laugh without resorting to bad language, but there are others who use it sparingly & it still raises a laugh, but then again there are those that F & Blind the whole way through & I tend to find these types rather cringeworthy, they don't have the talent or skills to amuse without being offensive. Way of the World I suppose.
Old 05-02-2012, 13:45   #6
Senior Member+

The people I found funny in my informative years were Ken Dodd, Morcambe and Wise, and Arthur Askey, I thank you.
And still do today
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 13:51   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
I'd say it's subjective, some can make me laugh without resorting to bad language, but there are others who use it sparingly & it still raises a laugh, but then again there are those that F & Blind the whole way through & I tend to find these types rather cringeworthy, they don't have the talent or skills to amuse without being offensive. Way of the World I suppose.
Totally agree with dig spot on that
Old 05-02-2012, 15:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
The people I found funny in my informative years were Ken Dodd, Morcambe and Wise, and Arthur Askey, I thank you.
And still do today

agreed and no bad language there but all legends who stood the test of time

Perhaps it is an age thing but I've never liked swearing (perhaps there is a time and a place for it where it is more acceptable than in other places) What really irritates are parents effin and jeffin at their kids I'm a parent and I've experienced the tantrums of children but what example are we setting to the future generations

It might be an old fashioned view but I'm proud of my 2 teenage daughters that they have manners and respect for others

I know it's a show rather than stand up and I've only seen it a couple of times I like Mrs Browns Boys apart ffrom the language - it doesn't need it

Last edited by hedman2003; 05-02-2012 at 15:25.
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 16:31   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
No way, we are talking about television programs, not clubs
Oh right.

Quote:
I cannot see anything funny in the so called jokes of these stand up comedians
Since this isn't in the television thread, and you only referred to 'stand-up comedians', I presumed you were moaning about mirth makers in general.

Perhaps you need a new comedy scriptwriter.

Boom, boom.

It's the way I tell 'em.

Old 05-02-2012, 16:35   #10
Give, give, give member

Going back into the annals of time, some people have found rude, and normally socially unacceptable words and phrases funny.

It's human nature.

Like grumbling.

Some people enjoy it.

Old 05-02-2012, 17:21   #11
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Going back into the annals of time, some people have found rude, and normally socially unacceptable words and phrases funny.

It's human nature.

Like grumbling.

Some people enjoy it.
Thanks, Garinda, You have answered my post,Im just a grown up decent, happy, fuddy duddy who does not have, want, or require any four letter words or bad language in my life.
Old 05-02-2012, 17:32   #12
Resting in Peace

There's a time and place for that language and its not on TV, if a so called comedian has to resort o 4 letter words to get a laugh, they aren't very good in the first place
Old 05-02-2012, 17:34   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Thanks, Garinda, You have answered my post,Im just a grown up decent, happy, fuddy duddy who does not have, want, or require any four letter words or bad language in my life.
Same here.

No need for course language to be amusing.

Though from what I'm told, like Bernard Manning, Roy Chubbie Brown's audience mainly consists of mature people, who could be described as 'grown ups'.

That's if we consider people of pensionable age as grown ups.

Different folks...for different jokes.

Old 05-02-2012, 18:01   #14
God Member

I have no problem with foul language per se. I actually like swearing, probably because it is naughty and I do actually know better. I have always been of the opinion that the use of swear words offers an opportunity to add additional emphasis to a statement; a bit like using more than one exclamation mark. But, as with spices in cooking, it's effect is best appreciated when used sparingly.
Old 05-02-2012, 18:40   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
I have no problem with foul language per se. I actually like swearing, probably because it is naughty and I do actually know better. I have always been of the opinion that the use of swear words offers an opportunity to add additional emphasis to a statement; a bit like using more than one exclamation mark. But, as with spices in cooking, it's effect is best appreciated when used sparingly.
See.

Age knows no barrier, when it comes to people who titter at rude words.

Old Acidic-babs is near eighty.

Yet you still need a mop, if someone's said something a bit blue to them.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..