Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 20:25   #61
Beacon of light

Re: Lost Humor or Age Gap

Yes and if you go in as if you wanted to edit, it had the short ethel there as large as life but once you saved it was back to the.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-02-2012, 20:33   #62
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Swear words are just that, "words" I think it is more the intent behind the word that become offensive.

For offensive words what about, redundency, gone into administration, tax increase, waiting list. These words offend me more that someone depriving me of my parents although there has to be a time and place for it.

Yes, I know they are only words, but their intent is to be offensive...lots of the words are derogatory terms for parts of the anatomy,both male and female. Many people use these words without giving a thought to the offence that they may cause.......and in all honesty they are used so much these days that they have been devalued......however, I would speak to you how I would speak to my mother.......I would not swear in front of my mother and I do not expect others to do any different.......so it follows that some people must use the most rancid language to their parents.
To use swear words to make something funny, usually means that the comic is relying on the swearword to make it funny.......so no comedy there at all.

As for your other point, yes, those words have an impact that swearwords don't, because they affect the fabric of our daily life.
Old 07-02-2012, 21:08   #63
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes, I know they are only words, but their intent is to be offensive...lots of the words are derogatory terms for parts of the anatomy,both male and female. Many people use these words without giving a thought to the offence that they may cause.......and in all honesty they are used so much these days that they have been devalued......however, I would speak to you how I would speak to my mother.......I would not swear in front of my mother and I do not expect others to do any different.......so it follows that some people must use the most rancid language to their parents.
To use swear words to make something funny, usually means that the comic is relying on the swearword to make it funny.......so no comedy there at all.

As for your other point, yes, those words have an impact that swearwords don't, because they affect the fabric of our daily life.
Sometimes swear words are used as terms of endearment! but I know what you mean about the use of swear words especialy in public places. I dont want to hear it if I havent invited it into my ears. Also I am sickened when I hear parents swearing at their little children, but to say anything invites trouble
The swear words that were around as a child are not swear words anymore, and perhaps todays profanities will be common place in years to come. Well more so than they are now.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 21:18   #64
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Oh dear, short Ethel was OK when I first posted the message. Wonder what's going on?
Don't some women call their 'underneath bit' E t h e l ?
Maybe the swear thingy blocking it...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 21:18   #65
God Member

This is a fascinating little story; and it does relate to the topic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Contact_(novelette)
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 21:20   #66
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Never heard that ?
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 21:21   #67
Rest in Peace

Quote:
That's made me laugh, thanks,Katex.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:00   #68
Beacon of light

I was trying to use the diminutive though Kate......the system doesn't seem to have a problem with the full name Ethel........only the first three letters which it converts to THE
Old 08-02-2012, 08:39   #69
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
I have relatives in ireland so i must be pre programmed in me genes to understand the accent that and i have worked with quite a few good ol boys over the years
Both my wife's parents were Irish and she used the Irish F word until I told her what it was in English, she was always a bit naive though
Old 08-02-2012, 08:42   #70
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Is that a bit like Bob Newhart the Streak, Don't look Ethel, too late she's been mooned
Old 08-02-2012, 12:38   #71
Rest in Peace

Some teenagers in my day called it "Heavan"
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..