Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-07-2006, 14:25   #16
Super Moderator

Re: Lottery Grants in Hyndburn

OK, thanks for the update, Gayle.
Old 21-07-2006, 14:26   #17
I am Banned

Hehehe Gayle is that why you have go get a grant member penned pmsl
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2006, 14:51   #18
God Member

i can't download that on this pile of ........
I didn't think it was that simple. I had all this trouble getting the grant off the council for welcome street lights. I haven't bothered since because they want accounts and I can't do accounts. I got an anonymous donation of 300 last year, they paid for the insurance and electrical test(we have to pay for the borough councils sockets to be tested). Plus we havee to have this constitution, and a bank account which we have got now, but I can't get the money out, the other signitary is no longer here.
So it's not easy for a genuine bog standard down to earth community group, you have to turn your self in a community group thats organised like a business, an organisation.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2006, 21:40   #19
Always EVIL within us

Hyndburn & Blackburn Angling Association 2004-06-24 2000

Was that to restock the canal - - with trout?
Old 21-07-2006, 23:30   #20
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
I feel p off because it looks like we've been missing out not cos I think they shouldn't get it. I need teaching how to apply for this money.

Only thing is you haven't exactly got a lot to show for it that the public can see have you .

Have a whip round (not literally,) and hire Gayle to get 'free' money for your area too.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2006, 21:30   #21
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Bollox take my karma, because that list shows if your a minority or even shock horror an ethnic minority it's a case of show me the money, some of those amounts are a disgrace.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2006, 21:47   #22
God Member

All right, let's just say for one minute that I accept your point, Bagpuss. You have to look at the reasons behind it - let's take a few examples.

I have been involved in Oswaldtwistle Players for a long time and until relatively recently I didn't know that we could get grants for anything. We're a drama society who sell tickets for our shows which usually make more money than they cost to put on and if they don't we have a few reserves. If we were short of money we'd hold a raffle or a society evening to raise a few bob. Basically, taking the usual middle class route of raising funds.

Equally, my children go to St Mary's school in Osw, the PTA want to convert their playground to a more eco friendly environment. They too were going down the traditional middle class root of raising funds - raffles, fetes etc.

In the last couple of years since I have become more familiar with funding pots and how to do applications I have helped both groups get substantial amounts of money. Oswaldtwistle Players has set up a youth group (at no risk to the main group) and St Mary's are well on their way to getting their eco playground.

My point is that although the money is out there for all sorts of groups a lot of them don't apply for the money because they don't think they're that needy and will hold a raffle rather than fill in a form.

It takes just as much time and effort to fill in these forms. So you still can't fault the people who do take the time to go down that route.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006, 19:22   #23
God Member

ok gayle here's a question. Our youth marching band put on a test event last year to see if a carnival would be viable, this year, yesterday infact we had a small test carnival and despite the rain washing the field event out it went great.
They are saying that they are limited because they are a youth marching band and funds given to them have to be in their remit and acording to thier constitution.
I think they could get a grant to make the event bgger, enable proper road closures because pillocs drove around the barriers and through the carnival. Also a bigger better field event with a 'it's a knockout event which needs special expensive insurance.
Any advice ?
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006, 20:05   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
All right, let's just say for one minute that I accept your point, Bagpuss. You have to look at the reasons behind it - let's take a few examples.

I have been involved in Oswaldtwistle Players for a long time and until relatively recently I didn't know that we could get grants for anything. We're a drama society who sell tickets for our shows which usually make more money than they cost to put on and if they don't we have a few reserves. If we were short of money we'd hold a raffle or a society evening to raise a few bob. Basically, taking the usual middle class route of raising funds.

Equally, my children go to St Mary's school in Osw, the PTA want to convert their playground to a more eco friendly environment. They too were going down the traditional middle class root of raising funds - raffles, fetes etc.

In the last couple of years since I have become more familiar with funding pots and how to do applications I have helped both groups get substantial amounts of money. Oswaldtwistle Players has set up a youth group (at no risk to the main group) and St Mary's are well on their way to getting their eco playground.

My point is that although the money is out there for all sorts of groups a lot of them don't apply for the money because they don't think they're that needy and will hold a raffle rather than fill in a form.

It takes just as much time and effort to fill in these forms. So you still can't fault the people who do take the time to go down that route.
Perhaps this is somewhat offtopic, but as I used to go to St Marys, and I drove past the other day and noticed an 'eco friendly school' sign... what exactly is an eco friendly playground?
Old 23-07-2006, 20:10   #25
God Member

They have an outdoor classroom which they are using to teach the children about wildlife. They have eco monitors in every class who are responsible for switching lights off and stuff like that. They promote recycling with packed lunches and encourage children to use recyclable packaging wherever possible. Other things as well but basically promoting eco stuff and getting the kids to pass it on to parents as well.

Old 24-07-2006, 03:46   #26
God Member

I think it would be interesting to know how much of this money actually stays in the area and how much (what percentage) is siphoned off by the insurance companies , from reading posts in other forums it seems every event or gathering has to have separate cover insurance cover.
thanks
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2006, 09:03   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
They have an outdoor classroom which they are using to teach the children about wildlife. They have eco monitors in every class who are responsible for switching lights off and stuff like that. They promote recycling with packed lunches and encourage children to use recyclable packaging wherever possible. Other things as well but basically promoting eco stuff and getting the kids to pass it on to parents as well.
Oh thats brilliant. Is it still Mr Wells there? What a guy
Old 24-07-2006, 09:17   #28
God Member

Yes Mr Wells is still there.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..