Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-09-2005, 15:47   #1
Senior Member+

Low on eggs dial the fridge.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050929/...oadband_socket
A new chip has been invented that will plug in to a wall socket and do away with cables for your computer, a network-connected refrigerator may allow users to connect from a mobile phone or laptop to check whether you're low on eggs, for example. Or you may want to turn gadgets off or on, such as your washing machine or air-conditioner, from outside the home, is that brill or what.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-09-2005, 16:17   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: ow on eggs dial the fridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf
is that brill or what.
Nope. Do you really want to have to tell your fridge when you put something in or take something out all the time so it can keep track of what is in it. Turning the machine machine on from the other side of the planet is ok if you can make it fill and empty itself. Sounds like automation for the sake of it. And that is coming from someone who uses a PC to read info from a database to then tell a PLC to water the garden.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 18:25   #3
God Member

Re: Low on eggs dial the fridge.

This stuff has been around for years. As for stock control, they are talking about adding proximity chips in all teh packages so when you take that tray of eggs out the fridge senses it and if you don't put it back in say 10 minutes it puts eggs on the shgopping list. Link this with a wireless network and an internet connected PC and it could quite easily logon to Tesco using their web services interface and order your shopping list.

The home automation stuff has been going for well over 6 years as I looked at some of it back in 98. You can call from any tone phone and control devices. I even looked at setting up a system based on a web page where you can control almost every device in the house using a C++/XML framework that is currently used in cash machines.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 18:30   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

It's easy isn't it? Then you start to think why would I want to do this or that from somewhere else.
Old 29-09-2005, 18:48   #5
God Member

OK, so I'm at work and I remember that I need some shopping, I could log on to my home PC, get a list of whats in the fridge , order the main shop and have a shortlist of stuff I need to pick up on the way home. Then I could turn on teh oven to cook that stew I prepared before I went to work.

One mate of mine was looking for a 'project'. he said if I came up with something interesting he would build it.

My Project was to have a system such that when anyone rings teh bell it sends him a text. he can logon to his PC which is running a webcam by teh door. Using VOIP he can hold a conversation with teh caller as if he is stood teh other side of the door. He also has a LOAD of sound effects such as a big dog, etc.

Then we extended it such that his alarm system is linked to the PC. He has web cams in strategic places. when an alarm goes off it texts him what room/alarm has triggered and he can log on and see what is happening. He can also reset it remotely.

It took him just over 6 months to implement it all (More money than sense but a decent fella all round )
Old 29-09-2005, 19:07   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
More money than sense but a decent fella all round
That bit sounds right
Old 29-09-2005, 20:01   #7
God Member

Women dont need gadgets like these, we always know what shopping we want!
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 20:06   #8
Senior Member+

The artical is more about the doing away with wires for your networks then actualy doing your shopping, using your already wired house as a network.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 20:27   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego
Women dont need gadgets like these, we always know what shopping we want!
OMG my wife must be a man
Old 30-09-2005, 11:45   #10
Resident Waffler

I don't want my fridge ordering eggs fom Tesco! I might not want eggs every week!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2005, 13:44   #11
God Member

Thats teh whole point, you can log on from work and tweak your shopping list before it sends it. Combine that with teh proximity chips so it knows when you are out of eggs, you have a perfectly automated system with human fine control. All we need now is a teleporter to move stuff to teh oven so you can cook it as well.
Old 30-09-2005, 13:50   #12
white rabbits

i dont nead any more gadgets and wigets,i still cant fathom out this computer and mobile phone,,, the brain has gone into recession already
Old 30-09-2005, 14:34   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Thats teh whole point, you can log on from work and tweak your shopping list before it sends it.
I think you must have too much free time at work . Last thing you want is the big boss catching you doing your online shopping at Tesco.
Old 30-09-2005, 14:50   #14
God Member

They don't mind us using teh net as long as we get teh job done. My job has parts where I have to wait for large scripts to run which can take anything up to 30 minutes. The boxes get hemmered in teh meantime so there is little else I can do than surf teh net. Thats why 75% of my posts are during work hours

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..