Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-09-2005, 16:25   #1
God Member

Brrrrrr!

Now that the nights are drawing in and the leaves are turning colour and the first gale of the autumn is about to blow in from the North Atlantic, my thoughts have turned to cold remedies. I like to be prepared! Being a Taurean and a smoker whenever I get a cold it usually settles on my chest and hangs around for weeks.

My great great Grandmother, lime-wash lizzie, (Acrylic had not been invented then and she couldn't spell distemper) while she wasn't organising the Moaning Old Washer Women and Mill Girls Almalgamated Union, of which she was a founder member, swore by boiled onions as a sure and certain preventative for the common cold. She could very often be found during the winter months - September to July - with her chest and throat swathed in poultices made of boiled onions. She claimed that she had never caught a cold in her life and claimed this as vindication of her onion obsession. The fact that nobody wanted to venture within several feet of her thus reducing the possibility of her catching anything to zero seems to have been lost on the barmy old dear.

Does anyone have any favourite cold remedies they would like to share?

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 28-09-2005 at 16:33.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-09-2005, 16:31   #2
I am Banned

Re: Brrrrrr!

urrgghhh dont fancy stinking of onions LOL tho they say garlic is good to prevent colds, me i prefer hot blackcurrant lemsip when im full of a cold altho aromatherapy pure lemon oil on a tissue or poultice is good for stuffy noses.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 16:32   #3
I am Banned

Ooooh & not forgeting a good nip of brandy well if it doesn't get rid of the cold after several glasses of that doubt you'll feel it as much anyway pmsl
Old 28-09-2005, 16:44   #4
God Member

Whiskey squeeze of lemon and a teaspoon of sugar in hat water. That before bed and I feel better and it helps sweat it out.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 16:46   #5
I am Banned

Theres many variations with the whiskey rather than sugar they put honey instead.

mmmmmm Russians have the ole voddie & its cold there in winter
Old 28-09-2005, 17:07   #6
God Member

Once tried it with sugar and hated it didnt taste the same and as for vodie russians drink so much of it they dont feel the cold or anything else for that matter.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 28-09-2005, 17:15   #7
I am Banned

Spuggie thats very true everything goes numb if you have plently of it LOL
Old 28-09-2005, 17:34   #8
God Member

Makes me wonder how russia manages anything with their medicinal drinking. Mind you with those long cold nights what else is there to do.....

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 28-09-2005, 17:36   #9
I am Banned

Mmmmmmm there are other ways of keeping warm & when the voddies too much LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Makes me wonder how russia manages anything with their medicinal drinking. Mind you with those long cold nights what else is there to do.....
Old 28-09-2005, 17:38   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accystanmac
Mmmmmmm there are other ways of keeping warm & when the voddies too much LOL
Yes making something say like a deerskin coat and fur hat as well as..........iceskating.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 28-09-2005, 17:41   #11
I am Banned

Blimey they know how to have a good time dont they LOL

Quote:
Yes making something say like a deerskin coat and fur hat as well as..........iceskating.
Old 28-09-2005, 17:43   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accystanmac
Blimey they know how to have a good time dont they LOL
Try anything else and it would fall of with the cold. Even icecles snap.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 28-09-2005, 17:47   #13
I am Banned

ouch sounds painful or bits would freeze together
Old 28-09-2005, 17:49   #14
God Member

Brings a new meaning to frozen meat and veg.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 28-09-2005, 17:53   #15
I am Banned

Ooo u have to bang them about in order to seperate them

Quote:
Brings a new meaning to frozen meat and veg.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..