Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-09-2005, 21:49   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Brrrrrr!

my nan swore by a dish of boiled onions with a towel over your head ! it stinks vile but it works.
Old 29-09-2005, 09:43   #32
Senior Member+

Don't have kids - they seem to be a source of a lot of colds

We had hardly any before we had children. In the winter our son used to get them all the time from nursery - he used to clear up over christmas when he was at home, but as soon as he went back in the new year he picked another one up!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 10:27   #33
God Member

Lemsip with a shot of Gin in it. Tastes liek gin and bitter lemon, teh booze helps you sleep whilst teh drugs help you sweta it out

Or..

Brandy/Whisk(e)y all ins. I prefer Jif Lime Juice to Lemon Juice but it must be honey not sugar.

Bene and hot is also nice if you have a cold or and upset tummy.

Hangovers are treated with Indian Brandy in hot water.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 10:37   #34
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

My nan swore by ZamBuk... She used it for everything from rubbing on muscles and around joints for rheumatic pains and aches to rubbing on the chest for colds. There was always a smell of ZamBuk in her house. I recently came across some at a shop in Skipton arcade. It made me smile when I saw the tin. They were also selling dog oil which she also used for her arthritis. I do remember her giving me a good dose of syrup of figs as a kid as a cure for my not going to the loo for about 4 days....... needless to say, I didn't get off the loo for about 4 days after that......

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 11:48   #35
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
Don't have kids - they seem to be a source of a lot of colds

We had hardly any before we had children. In the winter our son used to get them all the time from nursery - he used to clear up over christmas when he was at home, but as soon as he went back in the new year he picked another one up!
Pmsl Vorlon so true, ive been nowt but ill since kids went to school im sure they collect them for me so they can take advantage
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 13:40   #36

well im just getting over my cold...had it since about sunday...dosed myself up with lemsip and paracetamols!!! also plenty of sleep. and if youve got a blocked stuffy nose then rub vick's vapo stuff on your chest..hmm actually im feeling a bit stuffy...any volunteers to give me a hand??
Old 29-09-2005, 13:47   #37
Beacon of light

My Old Auntie used to swear by a mixture of Dark Rum, Honey.....equal quantities mixed with the juice of two lemons....the concoction was thoroughly mixed and was taken by the spoonful every 4 hours from the onset of a sore throat......I think the equal quantites were a big table spoon.....table spoons DID seem to be bigger than the ones that we use now....I think they held something in the region of 30 mls......she swore by it and colds used to vanish almost overnight......if you did get a bad chest you would be put into a brownpaper vest and your chest would be rubbed with goose grease.....my how that stuff stank.....no-one would sit next to you in class.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 13:56   #38
God Member

well at least it stopped it spreading!. One of my pet hates at work is those people who come in absolutely smothered in a cold/flu/lurgy. We work in a fully air con'd building and all it does is spread the germs around all 1000 employees in this building. I wouln't mind if they would lose money over it but we all get 6 months sick on full pay!
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 17:09   #39
Resting in peace

Whisky, lemon juice, honey, 4 cloves, top it up with hot water.

Other than that, go to bed with a bottle of gin and a hot brunette.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 18:18   #40
God Member

I read in the paper the other day that Procter and Gamble (I think) are going to market a new product in the next few months which claims to reduce the effects of the common cold quite drastically and can reduce recovery time by something like a third. Apparently it is a gel that you squirt up your nose. Rhinoviruses prefer an acidic environment and the gel is alkaline. A quick squirt three or four times a day and they soon get the message!
Old 29-09-2005, 18:54   #41
Beacon of light

Another trick that is supposed to work is to coat the inside of the nostrils with petroleum jelly......apparently this traps the virus in the nose so it doesn't get into your system.....I haven't tried it so I can't vouch for the efficacy of such a remedy.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2005, 12:17   #42
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Apparently it is a gel that you squirt up your nose. Rhinoviruses prefer an acidic environment and the gel is alkaline. A quick squirt three or four times a day and they soon get the message!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
Another trick that is supposed to work is to coat the inside of the nostrils with petroleum jelly......apparently this traps the virus in the nose so it doesn't get into your system....
Maybe we should combine the two ideas and mix bicarb into vaseline and stick that up yer nose?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..