Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2008, 13:57   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: McDonalds to hand out diplomas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
The diploma isn't aimed at the basic stuff though cashy. It's to with learning the skills of finance, hr and other managerial functions. They aren't going to get a diploma for serving burgers or cleaning the bogs
can see that, but like in banks n other places i thought the general idea was work yer way up, start at the bottom etc were the hell does a diploma come into it.?
Old 29-01-2008, 15:02   #17
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
can see that, but like in banks n other places i thought the general idea was work yer way up, start at the bottom etc were the hell does a diploma come into it.?
I don't know, but I suspect that you will still have to work your way up the corporate ladder, it's just that emploees, if they so wish, will be able to gain an accredited qualification that would be recognised by other employers too.

The three companies are receiving no state money to fund these qualifications, and if it means someone who has no other qualifications, can go on to a better job, I think it's great.

No we are a country with very little manufacturing industries left, and retail is the fourth biggest employer in the U.K., these initiatives can only help people.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 16:21   #18
Super Moderator

Just because they've been recognised by the QCA doesn't necessarily mean that educational institutions and other employers are going to accept them.

Seems like a blatant attempt by a fast food provider to gain respectability in my opinion.
Old 29-01-2008, 16:24   #19
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Just because they've been recognised by the QCA doesn't necessarily mean that educational institutions and other employers are going to accept them.

Seems like a blatant attempt by a fast food provider to gain respectability in my opinion.
No it doesn't.

Though if two candidates were applying for a job, and one had no qualifications at all, and the other had got off their arse to do this, I know who I'd more likely give the job to.

Old 29-01-2008, 16:31   #20
Give, give, give member

'As for transferability, it is doubtful that students would harm their career prospects by taking a McDonald's course in basic management. Like or loathe its burgers, the company has a reputation for turning out well-trained employees. Not many graduates could claim to be able to run a franchise employing 50 people with a £2m turnover. The course would not equip them to open a top London restaurant, but neither would a traditional A-level.'

FT.com / Home UK / UK - Mc A-grade levels

The Financial Times seems to think vocational qualifications such as this, are a good idea.

Old 29-01-2008, 16:46   #21
God Member

I'm with Rindy on this one. Once you get past the media driven stereotyping of the McDonald worker the managment skills picked up when they are past the counter service will be as good if not better than a lot of others. Like it or not they are now one of our country's most succesful employers, the business ethos is probably one of the best.

I wonder what the reaction would be if Asda or Tesco were to jump on board this scheme.
Old 29-01-2008, 16:47   #22
Senior Member+

I'm with Garinda on this one. It can only be a good thing, to get people who wouldn't normally be able to get any qualifications a chance.

I went to school with a girl who started at McDonalds when she went to college, and is now an area manager for them on a hell of a lot of money, whilst all the people who were in her physiotherapy class at college are all having trouble finding jobs
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 16:50   #23
Super Moderator

But, then again, there are others who don't...

"Employees may find they are locked into that business because the awards don't have credibility outside the company like GCSEs, A levels or NVQs do."
- Professor Alan Smithers, director of the centre for education and employment research at the University of Buckingham.

Still, I suppose the proof of the pudding (or even the double cheese whopper with fries) is in the eating.
Old 29-01-2008, 16:50   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I wonder what the reaction would be if Asda or Tesco were to jump on board this scheme.
Tesco's training schemes are really good (a bit boring!!) but good. You should see the work books for the Options Management Training! and the training files in the training room, its like a library!

Although the are only qualifications that are recognized within Tesco stores.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 16:57   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
But, then again, there are others who don't...

"Employees may find they are locked into that business because the awards don't have credibility outside the company like GCSEs, A levels or NVQs do."
- Professor Alan Smithers, director of the centre for education and employment research at the University of Buckingham.

Still, I suppose the proof of the pudding (or even the double cheese whopper with fries) is in the eating.
It's a fair point but once you are on the job ladder most intelligent employers will look at your work experience rather than your qualifiactions. The qualifications will only be a back up to the experience.

Probably one of the most dinosaur employers of today who still look at qualifications more than experience are government, civil service etc where you need a degree that was paid for by a rich Daddy and a funny handshake to get promoted.
Old 29-01-2008, 16:59   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
Tesco's training schemes are really good (a bit boring!!) but good. You should see the work books for the Options Management Training! and the training files in the training room, its like a library!

I don't doubt they are but taking the view that most people take with Mcd's then the argument would be why get a diploma for shelf filling
Old 29-01-2008, 17:55   #27
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly View Post

This country spends £38 million pounds annually on training programmes. None of them accredited, unlike these new qualifications.

Old 29-01-2008, 19:27   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well to me its de-valuing a diploma, in the same way those that know best have de-valued exam passes in the schools, says cashy running for cover.
Old 29-01-2008, 20:11   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well to me its de-valuing a diploma, in the same way those that know best have de-valued exam passes in the schools, says cashy running for cover.
That's a different kettle of fish.

We all know that passing the old 11-plus is worth more than being awarded a first class degree in 'meedya' studies.

Old 29-01-2008, 20:50   #30
Resident Waffler

I think it's an excellent idea. Of course it isn't about how to put together a burger. It's about people management and running a business. You can do business studies at college but what's wrong with a company financing the training of their own workforce?

If I was a prospective employer I too would view someone with this qualification as a more likely candidate than someone without.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..