Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-01-2008, 23:28   #1

McDonalds to hand out diplomas?

Imagine the scene: "Now son, what qualifications have you got?"
"Here you are, I've got this certificate."
"Oh really, lets see- whats this? Signed in burger fat, sealed with tomato ketchup splodge & this signature at the bottom-is it really Ronald MacDonalds?"
As John McEnroe would no doubt say "You cannot be serious!"
Wonder if it will eventually become a free gift feature-buy two Big Macs & get certified-could catch on!!!!
Accrington Web
Old 28-01-2008, 23:30   #2

Re: McDonalds to hand out diplomas?

a level in being big
Old 29-01-2008, 03:17   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Ello John I see your back on the fries section fail your 'A' levels did you?

Yeah Tracy, It was going all right until they asked what's the recipe for the secret sauce?

Weeeelll! I just didn't know the answer!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 05:19   #4
God Member

MY GOD!! As it happens, me, Ginger and 2 of our friends fancied a little time AWAY from the kids tonight ( poor ginger and his friend have worked very hard this year, wives feeling very neglected )

So we had a run out to Blackpool. ( I won quite a lot off £1.00 on a bandit) which I never usually play on.

Anyway, with it being out of season we were politely asked to leave at 10:00pm from the arcade.

ME ( being the big eater that I am!!....even though I am only size 8 ) asked " can we please grab something to eat, I'm starving"

Sooo we ended up at McDonalds. Then ginger told me about this thing where kids were " maybe " encouraged to get a " DIPLOMA" in working in these kind of fast food stores

I'm sorry, but if either of my children came home from school on the HIGH HOPE that they would leave school to work in MCdonalds.....I as a mother would be very very disappointed.

Now don't get me wrong! I know someone has got to do it, but I think these positions are better filled by people that just NEED A LITTLE HOLIDAY MONEY. It really isn't a job to aim high for, for the rest of a kids life.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 09:43   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

when i heard this on last nights news, i checked the calendar, thought it was April 1st.
Old 29-01-2008, 10:52   #6
Super Moderator

And just how much worth will these McGCSE's have when the holder attempts to get a job in a company other than McDonalds? Sod all, I would imagine.

The fact that Gordon Brown, our McPrime Minister, can quite seriously tell us how good these courses are shows just how far we are along the road to becoming a Mccountry. Sad, really sad.
Old 29-01-2008, 11:24   #7

Heard an area manager from Liverpool for Macd's pontificating about the marvelous life a "career" at Macs is-no doubt his salary of £45K went further to his love of life with burger & fries! Wonder what qualifications he has? No wonder the last round in store cost me so much.
Old 29-01-2008, 11:30   #8
God Member

I haven't read too much about this yet but I think the diploma is aimed more at managerial levels. Getting away from the McDonalds front line staff I would imagine managerial skills at Macs are as good as any retail environment, especially the skills in staff/man managment, dealing with people who are not usually the brightest sparks could be quite a challenge
Old 29-01-2008, 12:02   #9
Give, give, give member

It's not just McDonald's who have been acredited with these on-job qualifications, it's also Flybe and Network Rail.

Learning on the job | Special Reports | Guardian Unlimited Politics

Personally I think it is a good idea, and might encourage people who left school with no qualifications, back into further education, if they so wish, and improve their career prospects.

I wonder if there will be league tables, and that you'll find parents moving house, so that they fall in the catchment area of good burger bars?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 13:18   #10

Last edited by claytonender; 29-01-2008 at 13:19. Reason: duolicate post
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 13:18   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Personally I think it is a good idea, and might encourage people who left school with no qualifications, back into further education, if they so wish, and improve their career prospects.

I agree with Garry.
Working at MacDonalds can teach a young person a lot about the discplines of having a job,
that you need to be there at set hours
be punctual and clean and tidy
learn to handle cash (giving change etc),
work as part of a team
deal with members of the public

Having a proper training programme (with diplomas awarded).

Last edited by claytonender; 29-01-2008 at 13:21.
Old 29-01-2008, 13:31   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

ya shouldn't need a diploma to be punctual,clean n tidy, deal with public etc,i think its basic common sense in retail. and basic set hours ya have with 90% of any jobs. if were gonna start bribing people to go work, weve gone further down the pan than even i figured.
Old 29-01-2008, 13:45   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
ya shouldn't need a diploma to be punctual,clean n tidy, deal with public etc,i think its basic common sense in retail. and basic set hours ya have with 90% of any jobs. if were gonna start bribing people to go work, weve gone further down the pan than even i figured.

I agree that it is basic common sense, but they are all discplines that need to be learnt, when you start your first job. At school you are told what to do, where to go etc, but you need to learn to obey orders but also to think for yourself (rather than be told) once you are in work.

I am sure that there was a time in your life when you needed to learn 'Life Skills' and this was probably in your first job.
Old 29-01-2008, 13:49   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
I agree that it is basic common sense, but they are all discplines that need to be learnt, when you start your first job. At school you are told what to do, where to go etc, but you need to learn to obey orders but also to think for yourself (rather than be told) once you are in work.

I am sure that there was a time in your life when you needed to learn 'Life Skills' and this was probably in your first job.
ya never stop learning life skills IMHO, n yes ya learn em at work,i'm questioning the need for a diploma for doing it its called waking up in the real world to me.
Old 29-01-2008, 13:50   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post

The diploma isn't aimed at the basic stuff though cashy. It's to with learning the skills of finance, hr and other managerial functions. They aren't going to get a diploma for serving burgers or cleaning the bogs

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..