Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2005, 15:14   #46
Resident Waffler

Re: More Government Meddling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky
Willow, wouldn't it be a dull world if everyone was the same stick thin shape....?

This is quoted from you Margaret. I'm STICK thin shape, who says I like to be called STICK thin shape??
I wouldn't say to someone fat " oh wouldn't it be a horrible world if we were all "beach whale shape"??

What I'm saying is, just because you are slim, doesn't mean you have a fantastic life, and you are adored by everyone!!!!..........

I have always been very slim, and would do anything to gain a little weight, but I eat like a horse, much more than I should (I LOVE FOOD) but can never but weight on.

Do you see in magazines, does it ever say "1001 ways to gain weight"?? ..........NO!! it doesn't. It's always about bigger people, how to lose weight. So I think there is more help available for people to lose weight than to put it on.

Then you get people asking if you have a problem. My doctor when I was pregnant was always making comments that I was anorexic, which ginger thought was absolutely Hilarius, judging on the amount of food I eat.

So..........see us STICK thin people may not like it either!!!!!!!!!!!
It's good to see a slim person admitting that they eat like a horse and would love to gain weight. Slim is portrayed by the media and by other thin people as the ideal to aspire to which is probably why there is very little advice on gaining weight. Gaining weight is regarded as the big taboo, the thing to be avoided at all costs.

I would LOVE to be thin and if by some miracle I was ever able to be and heard someone call me "stick thin" I would be overjoyed - but I just know it is never going to be.

Yes people do call fat people "beached whales" - some do it behind our backs and others do it to our faces. Some call us far worse than that and think that because we are fat we should just take any insult because our fat ugly shape is our own fault. They make the mistake of thinking that we aren't trying to do something about it and that we are content to be as we are. Or they talk in loud voices to each other about us as if we aren't there or are deaf.

I would never imagine saying to anyone "Good grief look at you, you're a horrible ugly stick!" because to me thin is far from ugly - I would look admiringly upon someone with a slim figure and if I said anything at all it would be something complimentary because slim is the ideal we are all supposed to aspire to. It is difficult for me to imagine a slim person who is dissatisfied with their shape and wants to put on weight.

But thank you for saying what you did about how much you eat because ignorant people find it so difficult to believe that a fat person can possibly be eating less than a slim person. They just assume that people like me are greedy pigs with no self control........... witness Pendy's remark thaty it all comes down to willpower.

I notice on AccyWeb how many times people talk about going out for meals or going out drinking (which can be very calorific) yet it's something I rarely do. The only time we go to a pub and drink has been an odd drink on holiday (and I mean just one or two) which for me is a J2O or something similar or at past AccyWeb meetings, where everyone else always seems to be ahead of us anyway. As for meals out, well it shows how often I've been used to eating out when I don't know any good places to go and the place I recommended to Busman when he first came up here was somewhere I'd been over 3 years previously and had deteriorated since then.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-10-2005, 15:23   #47
God Member

It winds me up no end when slim people say they eat like horses- sorry Slinky.

I am relatively slim now - lost two and a half stone early this year and am now back to my pre-baby weight - but I still have to be careful about what I eat.

It's all relative because my friend says that she eats like a horse but it must be one of those miniature ponies that she's talking about because from where I'm sitting she doesn't eat a lot.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 15:26   #48
I am Banned

OO just to log back into site my isp homepage came up & guess what Claudia Shiffer is having dieting problems!! Why cant it be accepted that beauty comes in all shapes & sizes
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 15:30   #49
God Member

Oh what a sad thread, all this personal negativity ....... now what happened to beauty only being skin deep? Therer's more to a person than just appearance. Show me someone who's deemed 'perfect' because I've yet to meet one, and we'll all know who we should aspire to be. Some of the most beautiful, bubbly personalities live in large bodies and some of the most shallow personalities live in slim bodies and vice versa! Nobody is perfect and I think everyone has insecurities about their own bodies, regardless of who they are.
Old 01-10-2005, 15:32   #50
I am Banned

Gayle it does happen u know im relatively slim & i wanted to put on a few pounds more & im struggling altho when i was a teen i was podgey but found that being bullied & other negative stresses in my life i lost the weight very easily tho that wasn't my intention at all. Tho sometimes its a case of self acceptance then it doesn't present such a big deal & even go deaf to the critics!! People have this big chip that everything is sooo tunnel visioned - well it didnt happen to me so how can it for you?! Some people eat like a horse & dont put weight on & some are more prone to what they eat - thats the way it is.
Old 01-10-2005, 15:35   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
It winds me up no end when slim people say they eat like horses- sorry Slinky.

mmmmm why?
Old 01-10-2005, 15:36   #52
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
Oh what a sad thread, all this personal negativity ....... now what happened to beauty only being skin deep? Therer's more to a person than just appearance. Show me someone who's deemed 'perfect' because I've yet to meet one, and we'll all know who we should aspire to be. Some of the most beautiful, bubbly personalities live in large bodies and some of the most shallow personalities live in slim bodies and vice versa! Nobody is perfect and I think everyone has insecurities about their own bodies, regardless of who they are.
Here Here !! been trying to tell em that!!
Old 01-10-2005, 15:40   #53
Resident Waffler

Maybe we should make a comparison here of what a person who eats like a horse actually eats in a day compared with what someone else eats who believes they have a balanced diet.

This is what I had yesterday:

breakfast

fruit juice
dandelion coffee

dinnertime
cold smoked garlic sausage sandwich
glass of water

snack
apple

teatime

chicken
hash browns (yes I know, very unhealthy, I admit that one.)
beans
dandelion coffee

late evening
Dr. Pepper (my main weekness in times of stress)

I'm soooooo lacking in willpower that I ate hash browns and drank a fizzy can of pop.

Who eats more and who eats less?

Old 01-10-2005, 15:44   #54
I am Banned

Does it really matter what people eat as long as they are alive!!!!!!!!

There are other ways of supporting weight probs than comparing the amounts people on AW eat - we are all different sizes, height, bone structure, age, medical implications etc

This is only gonna further the cause of weight insecurities whether big-small-slim-fat whatever the shape of the person comparision shopping is the biggest creator of depression & insecurity!
Old 01-10-2005, 15:46   #55
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
Oh what a sad thread, all this personal negativity ....... now what happened to beauty only being skin deep?

What happened was that Pendy decided to air her opinions on the ugliness of fat people and by doing so showed how ugly such a shallow minded attitude is and how narrow minded it is to assume that fat people don't actually care about being overweight and don't want to be slim, or do anything about it.

Old 01-10-2005, 15:49   #56
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
Does it really matter what people eat as long as they are alive!!!!!!!!

There are other ways of supporting weight probs than comparing the amounts people on AW eat - we are all different sizes, height, bone structure, age, medical implications etc

This is only gonna further the cause of weight insecurities whether big-small-slim-fat whatever the shape of the person comparision shopping is the biggest creator of depression & insecurity!
I was merely trying to point out that the general assumption that fat people are greedy and lazy is as much of a fallacy as assuming that slim people don't eat enough.

Old 01-10-2005, 15:49   #57
I am Banned

What upsets me more about this is that my own daughter has picked up insecurities about her weight from school & she is a normal weight healthy child of nearly 10, she eats healthy & ive managed to reassure her but what i wanna know is where does the line of being called fat be drawn by small minded individuals?!?
Old 01-10-2005, 15:51   #58
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I was merely trying to point out that the general assumption that fat people are greedy and lazy is as much of a fallacy as assuming that slim people don't eat enough.
True i do agree assumptions are the major cause of stereotyping
Old 01-10-2005, 15:52   #59
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
[color=DarkOrchid]

late evening
Dr. Pepper (my main weekness in times of stress)

[b]I'm soooooo lacking in willpower that I ate hash browns and drank a fizzy can of pop.
[
certainly hope this crap aint stressed you willow don't let it! i'm very lucky if it don't come out of a chip pan/frying pan it don't exist, and i never alter.mind you i would be stressed myself drinking dandelion tea.
Old 01-10-2005, 15:54   #60
God Member

Quote:
What happened was that Pendy decided to air her opinions on the ugliness of fat people and by doing so showed how ugly such a shallow minded attitude is and how narrow minded it is to assume that fat people don't actually care about being overweight and don't want to be slim, or do anything about it.
So without making a personal attack on Pendy, is she the 'perfect' we are all to aspire to being? No I think not Willow! Pendy will also have her own insecurities that she may keep well hidden but will haunt her in the quiet of her own mind. Maybe, just maybe, she needed to make such a bigoted generalisation to make her feel better about her insecurities

EDIT: Pendy may also be upset herself when she reads this thread to see how much her comments you have taken personally and have hurt your feelings Willow Well I'm hoping she will

Last edited by Tinkerbelle; 01-10-2005 at 16:08.
Tinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..