Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2008, 20:14   #76
God Member

Re: Mum in labour told to walk home

Where is a muslim taxi driver mentioned?
Old 11-04-2008, 20:15   #77
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Where is a muslim taxi driver mentioned?
In the comments on the article.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 20:20   #78
Resident Waffler

No-one in this thread has commented on the possibility that he was Muslim. In fact I assumed that he was white.

Blazey you have obviously no idea what it is like to go into labour to even suggest that she might have walked home instead of calling a taxi. Who knows why she wanted to go home instead of hospital. Maybe she had planned for a home birth.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 20:21   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
You mean like asking if they have any objections to transporting pregnant women? Would it even occur to them that they would need to check that? If I want a taxi I just phone for a taxi.
Well I can assure you that if my wife was pregnant and we had no transport of our own then I would have picked a taxi firm in advance. I would have asked if there would be any objections to transporting her when in labour and quite probably paid in advance.

I don’t like leaving anything to chance.
Old 11-04-2008, 20:23   #80
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I can only see one comment that mentions Muslim. The person who wrote it is saying that they are wondering if he was Muslim and if so would he have turfed a Muslim lady out onto the street.

No-one assumed he was Muslim.
Old 11-04-2008, 20:23   #81
God Member

Quote:
Just read the comments and people are just asking, is there anything wrong with that?
Old 11-04-2008, 20:24   #82
Resident Waffler

The baby was born 5 weeks prematurely so she wouldn't really have been expecting to give birth in the cab would she? Maybe she just thought she had done a bit too much and needed to get home and put her feet up for a bit?

Old 11-04-2008, 20:57   #83
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Those comments have quite rightly been removed now.

That's the trouble with people being able to spout off willy-nilly, without having full knowledge of the facts.

Happily on Accy Web we are self policing, ably assisted by the mods, on spotting people intent on posting inflammatory rubbish, just to boost their own petty egos.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 21:28   #84
God Member

There is no mention that THAT taxi driver was asian!!

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 21:28   #85
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

That's the trouble with people being able to spout off willy-nilly, without having full knowledge of the facts.
Do you think the taxi driver might just have panicked .. not knowing what to do, etc. ?

Perhaps may be an opportunity to enforce a first aid course on them ... after all do carry passengers in lots of unusual circumstances sometimes. Although, think they should be paid a fee/recognition for holding this qualification.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 21:33   #86
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Perhaps may be an opportunity to enforce a first aid course on them ... after all do carry passengers in lots of unusual circumstances sometimes. Although, think they should be paid a fee/recognition for holding this qualification.
Your havin a laugh right?? people whine about how much they charge now!! let alone saying " Oh prices are going up now cos we are first aid trained " anyway, I am an appointed first aider, but no where in my course did it teach me how to deliver a baby safely, this taxi driver would possibly not have even had to deliver the baby anyway, he could have quite simply delivered her into the good care of the local hospital, instead of just leaving this poor women.

Miracles do happen!!

Old 11-04-2008, 21:46   #87
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
Your havin a laugh right?? people whine about how much they charge now!! let alone saying " Oh prices are going up now cos we are first aid trained " anyway, I am an appointed first aider, but no where in my course did it teach me how to deliver a baby safely, this taxi driver would possibly not have even had to deliver the baby anyway, he could have quite simply delivered her into the good care of the local hospital, instead of just leaving this poor women.

Ok Slinky, understand what you saying seeing as you are personally involved with this profession, was just a thought. Could get to this stage though due to the dangers that taxi drivers face more day to day.

Just trying to look at it from his point of view .. and the possibility that he may have just been a little freaked out by it all. The fact that he dropped her at the top of her road rather than miles away smacked a little of utter fear.
Old 11-04-2008, 21:48   #88
God Member

Quote:
Ok Slinky, understand what you saying seeing as you are personally involved with this profession, was just a thought. Could get to this stage though due to the dangers that taxi drivers face more day to day.

Just trying to look at it from his point of view .. and the possibility that he may have just been a little freaked out by it all. The fact that he dropped her at the top of her road rather than miles away smacked a little of utter fear.
I would like to think it was fear that drove him to do this too!!!

I wonder if he had any kids of his own?? I suppose a taxi driver who had watched his wife go through labour, would have been more than willing to do what he could for the poor women. I know ginger would have done, as I asked him about this case.

Miracles do happen!!

Old 11-04-2008, 22:06   #89
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
I would like to think it was fear that drove him to do this too!!!

I wonder if he had any kids of his own?? I suppose a taxi driver who had watched his wife go through labour, would have been more than willing to do what he could for the poor women. I know ginger would have done, as I asked him about this case.
Yes, I am sure Ginger would have .... unfortunately I have this habit of looking at all sides of a story. Another few yards would not have made much difference to this driver, that is what is so peculiar here.

I always understood that a taxi driver wasn't too keen to take a woman in labour to the hospital ... is this correct ?

I can understand any taxi driver refusing to take an injured person to hospital ... huge responsibility. Only had one occasion when I fell down a friend's stairs .. bleeding profusely from a head wound ... assured taxi driver had lots of towels to soak up the blood (so as not to soil his car) and was accompanied, and wound was just superficial. Gave him a huge tip bless him.
Old 11-04-2008, 22:09   #90
Resident Waffler

Quote:

I always understood that a taxi driver wasn't too keen to take a woman in labour to the hospital ... is this correct ?
Well I hope it isn't because that's how the hospital expects them to get there!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..