Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2008, 22:15   #91
God Member

Re: Mum in labour told to walk home

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

I can understand any taxi driver refusing to take an injured person to hospital ... huge responsibility. Only had one occasion when I fell down a friend's stairs .. bleeding profusely from a head wound ... assured taxi driver had lots of towels to soak up the blood (so as not to soil his car) and was accompanied, and wound was just superficial. Gave him a huge tip bless him.
Kate, I'm sure quite a lot of Taxi drivers would have been glad to help. It's the nasty minority that give them the bad name.

I remember once, ginger had taken a elderly gentleman home from the local working mens club. The elderly gentleman slipped on his path to the house. Ginger helped him up, offered to take him to the hospital, but the man refused and said he would be ok. Ginger got him in the house so he knew he was safe, and offered to ring a relative.

Some Taxi drivers know its part of the job that things like this happen, and are willing to take the rough with the smooth. Other's ...?? well ... not so willing I'm afraid. But at the end of the day, it's also good job satisfaction when you know you have made a difference to someone in their hour of need.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-04-2008, 23:13   #92
God Member

The comments were removed.

Also, no I haven't given birth myself, but I have witnessed my mum give birth to my brother so I am more than aware of what labour entails, I am not completely naive to the process of birth.

I just don't see what the fuss is, she MAY have intended on a home birth, but even so, if she was so distressed in that situation, and I presume she didnt on giving birth PREMATURELY at home, she would've gone to the hospital. What on earth made her want to go home instead of the hospital?

I just feel that there are probably exaggerations in this news story.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:53   #93
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

The thing with premature deliveries is that they can be very quick and unexpected. This lady has had a child before so may well have been quick. We advise ladies with severe abdominal pain, especially before 37 weeks to ring the hospital. By speaking to the woman, the midwife can usually judge if an ambulance is needed. The hospital will always ask to speak to the woman rather than her mother or partner (who tend to panic). In normal circumstances, they will keep the woman on the phone until she has a pain and listen to her reaction during that pain. If she can still speak through it, then it is too soon to come in. However, if she is less than 37 weeks, she will be asked to come in regardless.
Bear in mind that the hospital can only advise those women who phone and cannot advise those who just turn up (many false alarms do this and end up being sent home again, not in labour). All women are given the telephone number from the very beginning of pregnancy and all women are given advice about the signs of labour.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:48   #94
mez
God Member

what the lady was moaning about was the fact that he told her to get out of his taxi at the top of her street & that she had to walk the rest of the way home.
Old 12-04-2008, 19:26   #95
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez View Post
what the lady was moaning about was the fact that he told her to get out of his taxi at the top of her street & that she had to walk the rest of the way home.
if that was me, id had told him to ****** off!!
that or caused a stink, do men not realise women can become satan while in labourdiablo.gif
Old 12-04-2008, 19:58   #96
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
The thing with premature deliveries is that they can be very quick and unexpected. This lady has had a child before so may well have been quick. We advise ladies with severe abdominal pain, especially before 37 weeks to ring the hospital. By speaking to the woman, the midwife can usually judge if an ambulance is needed. The hospital will always ask to speak to the woman rather than her mother or partner (who tend to panic). In normal circumstances, they will keep the woman on the phone until she has a pain and listen to her reaction during that pain. If she can still speak through it, then it is too soon to come in. However, if she is less than 37 weeks, she will be asked to come in regardless.
Bear in mind that the hospital can only advise those women who phone and cannot advise those who just turn up (many false alarms do this and end up being sent home again, not in labour). All women are given the telephone number from the very beginning of pregnancy and all women are given advice about the signs of labour.
When I went to the hospital with my ex wife who was expecting our first child, the hospital monitored her for at least a couple of hours, and then told me I should go home, because she would sleep and I would be wasting my time, as it was 5.30am, there were no buses and I had no transport, I arrived home (ramsbottom) at just after 7am, rang the hospital, only to be told that I had a son! I was devastated at missing the birth, a similar thing happened with one of my grandchildren, so I dont accept that the hospital/midwifes can accurately diagnose/time delivery eta over the phone, and still say that hospitals should have a duty of care to allow expectant mothers and others who think they may have an emergency to go/send an ambulance, rather than persist with cutbacks which, if truth were known, are, or will let people die.
Old 13-04-2008, 06:32   #97
God Member

My mum was in labour with me for around half an hour apparently, so it isn't just 2nd, 3rd etc babies that can come quick! I guess I have always been quite keen

Off topic but every time I say 'labour' I want to spell it with a capital 'L'.

blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 14:56   #98
Resident Waffler

Does Lettie's post explain sufficiently to you Blazey why the woman was heading home and not to the hospital?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 15:22   #99
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
do men not realise women can become satan while in labourAttachment 11418
they dont need labour fer that.
Old 13-04-2008, 15:54   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
When I went to the hospital with my ex wife who was expecting our first child, the hospital monitored her for at least a couple of hours, and then told me I should go home, because she would sleep and I would be wasting my time, as it was 5.30am, there were no buses and I had no transport, I arrived home (ramsbottom) at just after 7am, rang the hospital, only to be told that I had a son! I was devastated at missing the birth, a similar thing happened with one of my grandchildren, so I dont accept that the hospital/midwifes can accurately diagnose/time delivery eta over the phone, and still say that hospitals should have a duty of care to allow expectant mothers and others who think they may have an emergency to go/send an ambulance, rather than persist with cutbacks which, if truth were known, are, or will let people die.
Exactly. They are our ambulances after all, we pay for them why should we not determine when we use them?Please dont anyone say, 'the experts know best and they are highly trained because 9 time out of 10 it is the woman who is giving birth who is the expert.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 16:07   #101
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Old 13-04-2008, 16:13   #102
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Exactly. They are our ambulances after all, we pay for them why should we not determine when we use them?Please dont anyone say, 'the experts know best and they are highly trained because 9 time out of 10 it is the woman who is giving birth who is the expert.
sorry, i dont agree with this....like ive said before, My contractions started on the weds it was very very painful so i went to the hospital thinking he wouldnt be long.. i was checked over and told i was 2cm's dilated and to go home and come back in the morning. i went back in the morning and was still 2 cm's dilated and still in a lot of pain and i was sent home again.... i had my son on saturday at 11.43 am... i didnt know best!!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 16:30   #103
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Exactly. They are our ambulances after all, we pay for them why should we not determine when we use them?
Because people who might need urgent medical treatment might die, while ambulances, and their trained staff, ferry non-urgent cases to and from hospital, is reason enough in my book.

I'm sure we could all have an ambulance at our disposal 24/7 if we all paid more tax. Not really sound economics though, and I'm sure the money would be better spent on treating actual illnesses, rather than funding a massive fleet of big white taxis, with a flashing blue light on top.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 17:09   #104
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Because people who might need urgent medical treatment might die, while ambulances, and their trained staff, ferry non-urgent cases to and from hospital, is reason enough in my book.
I wonder how many people have died in ambulances on the M65 since they moved A&E from Burnley to Blackburn?
Old 13-04-2008, 17:16   #105
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I wonder how many people have died in ambulances on the M65 since they moved A&E from Burnley to Blackburn?
Same in Bury Neil since they built houses on the old bury general site, now emergency trips have to be taken along the most congested single track road in bury to get to fairfield, as far as labour unit is concerned though, this has always been at fairfield.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..