Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-12-2004, 21:05   #1

Need some suggestions...

How would you tell someone you work with that they smell? Its a rather unpleasant mix of BO and sweaty feet. Putting a tactful bottle of deodorant in the staff loo hasn't helped, and its getting to the point where it really can't be tolerated anymore. They chap concerned has been warned on numerous occasions,he tidied hisself up for a week or so, then just goes right back to how he was before.
Any tactful way to do this before I have to go down the disciplinary route?
Old 14-12-2004, 21:10   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Need some suggestions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by -pixie
How would you tell someone you work with that they smell? Its a rather unpleasant mix of BO and sweaty feet. Putting a tactful bottle of deodorant in the staff loo hasn't helped, and its getting to the point where it really can't be tolerated anymore. They chap concerned has been warned on numerous occasions,he tidied hisself up for a week or so, then just goes right back to how he was before.
Any tactful way to do this before I have to go down the disciplinary route?
Print this off & give them a copy, (I just didn't know I worked next to you, or I would have done something about it earlier.).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 21:24   #3
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

We had the same problem at the last place I worked and even after he was sent home to get washed a week later the smell and untidiness was back. He was asked to resign or he would have been sacked and he went, I wonder if it's the same person ?

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 21:57   #4
Resident Waffler

If he's already been asked once and managed to clean himself up it's quite possible that he simply has no sense of smell and doesn't realise what an unpleasant experience it is to work with him. Perhaps if you start off by saying how much you appreciate the effort he made previously?

I can sympathise because we used to have a fairly regular visitor who whiffed so much the house smelled even after he'd left. In the end I ended up banning him (but not entirely for whiffy reasons). I can also sympathise with the whiffer because my feet are horrible and I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy but they get a shower every morning!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 21:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
Print this off & give them a copy, (I just didn't know I worked next to you, or I would have done something about it earlier.).
Ah well at least you know now Less.

The lad concerned is a very sensitive young man, thats what makes it so difficult. He seems to have very low self esteem, which he claims is the root of all his problems.
Old 14-12-2004, 21:59   #6
Resident Waffler

Then I would definitely start off by praising pervious efforts.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2004, 06:55   #7
God Member

How about an anonymous Xmas present of some nice smellies? Leave a few other bits around the office so he doesn't think its just him. Or get one of the lads to point out that the girls may come running if he made a bit of an effort(if he's single).
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2004, 09:34   #8
Senior Member+

just say to him "if i had a boogie hanging out of my nose as my mate i would want you to tell me or food stuck in my teeth" see wat his re-action is then just say well as your mate dont take offence but have you tried links deoderant its what my fella uses and it smells great it lasts all day as well if you have a shower before you put it on.

Thats what i would say dont make a big deal over it make it light hearted see how you go from there.
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2004, 12:01   #9
Senior Member+

Don't leave the deodorant in the toilet - put some on his desk!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2004, 13:37   #10
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

This is always a toughy, but the best approach is just to be honest. If you are his boss/supervisor start by praising his work and point out something that he does well. Go on to say that there has been a complaint from a client/customer about his personal hygiene (if this has been brought up before it shouldn't be a shock) Re-enforce the point that although he is a good worker, the company cannot tolerate poor personal hygiene standards. Ask if there's a problem, who does he live with? is he able to get his laundry done often enough? Is he living on his own and taking washing to his mothers once a month? People often smell because their clothes are worn, hung up without washing then worn again a few days later. Lastly, give him some Lynx...... I agree with Mummiboo, my cousin always wore it and he smelled great.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2004, 17:12   #11

The lad still lives at home. I really cannot believe that his parents let him leave the house looking and smelling like he does, but theres nowt as queer as folk.

I think I am going to break it to him gently, but emphasise that this really is his final warning before it gets taken further.

Thanks folks.
Old 15-12-2004, 17:16   #12
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Good luck Pixie. I really don't envy you the task, it's always a hard one is the personal hygiene talk.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2004, 17:53   #13

Thanks Lettie. Its one of those that no matter how many times you have done it is a horrible one to do. I mean no one likes to be told they smell bad do they?
Old 15-12-2004, 20:26   #14
Senior Member+

bar of soap.Give to him.Wish him a merry Xmas and say ' use it' end of story.Anybody can be dirty
Old 24-11-2005, 08:52   #15

Bit of a toughy this one, the biggest task has been done, ie. you've told him about it.

Some people have a particular problem with BO, sometimes even with good hygiene some people suffer this problem and their collegues.

I can say that what may help a lot is a Thai deodorant stone to be used after washing/showering. This is a natural salts stone which is put under the tap for a few seconds then rubbed gently on the body, this kills the bacteria which causes the offending odour.

These are better than spraying chemicals with harmful propellants and are completely natural.

I sell these through my little company. They are around six pounds and will last possibly a year. They do work.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..