Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-06-2011, 18:35   #31
Senior Member+

Re: New Accrington Bus Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I would guess they won't get funding unless they put it where LCC say, regardless of public opinion, and they will employ an outside consultant who has never been to accrington but is an expert on how we all think
Yep that sounds about right,as with the market and town centre
Accrington Web
Old 25-06-2011, 18:51   #32
Give, give, give member

Can anyone give valid reasons why the bus station should be re-sited?

Is the proposed site much larger? It doesn't look it.

Why can't the present bus station be refurbished, to state-of-the-art standards, if funds are miraculously available?

As for danger, I sometimes struggle walking, but slapped down Union Street to Lily Mae's recently, and it was very dangerous crossing the road down there, with cars whizzing round the roundabout.

Lily Mae's was lovely, but it won't be a regular haunt, being too much of a struggle getting there, and the distance from the market, and the usual town centre places I shop in.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 20:24   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Can anyone give valid reasons why the bus station should be re-sited?

Is the proposed site much larger? It doesn't look it.

Why can't the present bus station be refurbished, to state-of-the-art standards, if funds are miraculously available?

As for danger, I sometimes struggle walking, but slapped down Union Street to Lily Mae's recently, and it was very dangerous crossing the road down there, with cars whizzing round the roundabout.

Lily Mae's was lovely, but it won't be a regular haunt, being too much of a struggle getting there, and the distance from the market, and the usual town centre places I shop in.
Cosmetically it would be good to have a new bus station. Would the money be well spent on building a new one ? Personally I think the millions it will cost would be better spent on revamping the town centre and the current site. Yes I'm biased but I really can't see how a new bus station built elsewhere would benefit the town. Mind you what do I know, I only have a business in the town and live here

Out of curioisty I wonder what Nelsons new 'interchange' has done for them, from what I've been told it hasn't made a jot of difference to the town
Old 25-06-2011, 20:45   #34
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Out of curioisty I wonder what Nelsons new 'interchange' has done for them, from what I've been told it hasn't made a jot of difference to the town
Would a new bus station improve business no matter where it is?
Do people not shop in Accrington because the bus station is pants?
There are not many towns with free parking, do you think that helps?
Old 25-06-2011, 20:54   #35
I am Banned

If they ever do resite the bus station, I can see taxi ranks taking their places on the Peel St site, & people will use taxis, rather than hike all the way down to the bottom of Union St, which to me is the daftest place possible for a bus station not just for accessability, but lack of space, that area isn't big enough for a decent car park, never mind a bus station. As for L.C.C., and their so called threat about funding if we don't have it their way, they haven't got the funding yet, call their bluff, they might have 2nd thoughts if they see their grand schemes might get scotched.
It would be easier to use the railway system, if we had a decent rail system, and not much further than Union St.
Bring back the Trams.

Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 25-06-2011 at 20:57.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 20:59   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Would a new bus station improve business no matter where it is?
Do people not shop in Accrington because the bus station is pants?
There are not many towns with free parking, do you think that helps?
1. Not convinced it would make any difference.

2. As somebody who doesn't use buses it's hard for me to answer. I can't for the life in me think that if I did use buses, the state of the bus station would put me off shopping anywhere unless it was some sort of no go area.

3. I think free parking does help, however I also think if a town is worth coming to shop in then even a small charge wouldn't put them off.

Wonder if we get more people by train because we have a shiny new station building ?

The town centre is general needs brightening up including the bus station. Unfortunatley the biggest blight on the town centre is the people that occupy it. I would rather see money spent re-locatiing the biggest blight and more policing to uphold an alchohol, drug and beggar ban
Old 25-06-2011, 21:04   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

The town centre is general needs brightening up including the bus station. Unfortunatley the biggest blight on the town centre is the people that occupy it. I would rather see money spent re-locatiing the biggest blight and more policing to uphold an alchohol, drug and beggar ban
thats bang on, but not too-sure about re-locating, to me thats just shifting the problem, whereas a machine gun would solve it completely. still waiting fer Bee to enlighten us also.
Old 25-06-2011, 21:10   #38
Super Moderator

Quote:
Unfortunatley the biggest blight on the town centre is the people that occupy it. I would rather see money spent re-locatiing the biggest blight and more policing to uphold an alchohol, drug and beggar ban
Something else which local councillors seem very reluctant to comment on. Funny how they're falling over themselves to come on here and tell us when they've been successful in getting travellers moved on, but when it comes to more awkward problems like this, there's a deafening silence!
Old 25-06-2011, 21:15   #39
Beacon of light

I think if you can get off the bus and be right where the shops are, it is an advantage...because remember whatever you have bought has to be carried back to where you catch the bus...if you have to walk too far then you won't buy.
I know when we go out and about on the buses, we will sometimes avoid a purchase that is going to be either too heavy or too bulky when we have to walk a good way to get the bus.....so it is of benefit to have the buses centrally.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 21:19   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I think if you can get off the bus and be right where the shops are, it is an advantage...because remember whatever you have bought has to be carried back to where you catch the bus...if you have to walk too far then you won't buy.
I know when we go out and about on the buses, we will sometimes avoid a purchase that is going to be either too heavy or too bulky when we have to walk a good way to get the bus.....so it is of benefit to have the buses centrally.
That is well correct, just commented on yer blog about a similar thing.
Old 25-06-2011, 21:23   #41
Senior Member+

The bus station was reviewed a few years ago. Peel street was rejected by bus operators and engineers which led to a silly debate where the issue was lost. The previous Council scrapping the Public Transport Forum so a debate could be stopped.

It all flared at one Town Centre Board when the bus operators walked out citing a Council that would not listen or discuss.

My view then was to relocate along Charlie Browns stretch remodelling the derelict and old buildings. It was considered and rejected, reasons included too far away from Market/ broadway, uphill, site acquisition, not near the train station. The advantages included more than ample bays. Access to all arterial roads.

Any progress needs to be discussed and I believe the new Council has brought back the Transport Forum to discuss the merits properly with all interested parties in public.

IIRC Peel Street can only accommodate 11 stops? with other stops on Bank Street and Infant street with only 2 layover bays.

The kwick save car park has 14 bays and 4 layover bays. Still not enough of either. The ideal is 17 -20 bays and 5 or 6 layover bays IIRC. In other words like Peel Street too small. If I have the numbers wrong I am sorry but it is this is one issue.

The previous council entered a £50,000 art competition for Peel Street. I have heard suggestions that it will be turned into town centre carparking with anview that on market days any extra stalls (unlikely at mo) would occupy the space.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 21:31   #42
Beacon of light

The Market is dismal.......put the stalls inside the market hall and free up the space for a bus station.......or put the Market on Broadway and have the current market and the front of the Market hall for the bus station.
I am sure there must be better ways to deal with the problem than have the bus station all the way down Union Street....this will take trade further away from the town centre...although Tesco would probably like this better.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 21:32   #43
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

So how many stops/bays can the Charlie Browns stretch accomodate? with possibly utilizing Infant Street?
Old 25-06-2011, 21:32   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
IIRC Peel Street can only accommodate 11 stops? with other stops on Bank Street and Infant street with only 2 layover bays.

The kwick save car park has 14 bays and 4 layover bays. Still not enough of either. The ideal is 17 -20 bays and 5 or 6 layover bays IIRC. In other words like Peel Street too small. .

Seems a bit odd to me. I can stand outside my shop door at certain times during the day and not see 1 single bus waiting on Peel St. Where is the demand for all these bays and who is going to run the services
Old 25-06-2011, 21:36   #45
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Sod wasting dosh on idiot consultants, Margaret P, has just give yehs the answer fer nowt.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..