Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-06-2011, 05:52   #61
Resting in Peace

Re: New Accrington Bus Station

Here is a watercolour painting of the old market hall showing the bus stands
it was done by the late Tony Butterworth a very close friend of mine who gave me this pic just before he died.
(he also did all the art work inside the now defunct sacred hearts church)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0672.jpg (319.5 KB, 26 views)
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-06-2011, 07:48   #62
Senior Member+

Brilliant painting/photo!!! Thanks for sharing Mick
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 07:50   #63
Resting in Peace

The painting looks a lot better than the photo which is in a glass frame on the wall
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 08:47   #64
Resting in Peace

Um this post will be number 64 on this issue yet the only comment from the local politicos has come from the councils representative in London, if it had been last year at this time Mossy would probably have had 15 to 20 post on the subject, ya can say out ya want in opposition, mind ya I did say it would happen
Old 26-06-2011, 09:01   #65
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8715 View Post
Peel Street bus station is well located (for shops etc) but at times chaotic, sometimes buses have to double park when they stop in the stand sometimes in the middle of the road, and the road surface is terrible and can be hard to cross at times.

I would have liked to have seen a rail bus interchange like at Nelson. It woudn't have been that hard to do, where Tesco is, utilise one of the levels of the carpark into a bus station

Personally I would back a return of the tram. And extend the network through Hyndburn.

I have only been to Nelson a couple of times and I can't say I was impressed(couldn't have been or I would go more often)........and maybe their rail station is more central(I didn't even know they had one!)......but to build a rail/bus interchange would shift transport and the town centre even further away. (what I mean by that is transport would be further away and the town centre would probably shift in that direction...might take a decade or two)
A bad idea for town centre shops.......it is uphill too, so a bad idea for the elderly, the disabled and the mums with prams and toddlers.
The only concern that would benefit would be the Tesco Extra store.......which would please them no end I reckon.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 09:22   #66
Bee
I am Banned

Nelson has a great rail/bus interchange which opened on 8 Dec 2008.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 09:28   #67
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I disagree G, the current station is a danger to the public.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
as a bus station needs to be sited in a town center, please enlighten us all, as to why it is more dangerous were it is, than anywhere else central?
Quote:
sod nelson,please enlighten us about yer comment Post25, or are yeh avoiding the issue?
Old 26-06-2011, 09:28   #68
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Um this post will be number 64 on this issue yet the only comment from the local politicos has come from the councils representative in London, if it had been last year at this time Mossy would probably have had 15 to 20 post on the subject, ya can say out ya want in opposition, mind ya I did say it would happen
Yeah, because in or out of power, we've had sooooooo many Tory councillors posting on here.

Cllr. Moss might be building sandcastles with his wife at the moment. Enjoying their first holiday together for years.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 09:33   #69
God Member

Quote:
You can't polish a turd.

I was mainly brought up in Brierfield but spent the majority of my adult life living in Nelson. It used to be a good place, very much like Accrington.
The new interchange doesn't make a jot of difference to the prosperity of the town, a point I made earlier about spending millions on a great big white elephant when the money could be better used.
Old 26-06-2011, 09:36   #70
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Yeah, because in or out of power, we've had so many Tory councillors posting on here.

Cllr. Moss might be building sandcastles with his wife at the moment. Enjoying their first holiday together for years.

Ya but he's not the only Labour Councillor who was very vociferous on here when it suited them
Old 26-06-2011, 09:49   #71
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
You can't polish a turd.

so many times I have wanted to use that phrase, but have stopped myself.......feeling that it would be censored out...but it so true of so many situations.

John, Ken may have other fish to fry at the moment.
He has been on a lot less recently...that must mean he is either busy working for the residents of Rishton, or he has been advised to be careful what he says on a public forum.
We cannot castigate him without being party to the facts....or it may be as G says he is away having some well deserved R&R.
Old 26-06-2011, 09:50   #72
Beacon of light

Lovely picture Mick....aah, that takes me back!
Old 26-06-2011, 09:52   #73
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
so many times I have wanted to use that phrase, but have stopped myself.......feeling that it would be censored out...but it so true of so many situations.

John, Ken may have other fish to fry at the moment.
He has been on a lot less recently...that must mean he is either busy working for the residents of Rishton, or he has been advised to be careful what he says on a public forum.
We cannot castigate him without being party to the facts....or it may be as G says he is away having some well deserved R&R.
Quite right Margaret when your carrying the can instead of filling it you have to be a little more careful what you say on public forums
Old 26-06-2011, 10:09   #74
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya but he's not the only Labour Councillor who was very vociferous on here when it suited them
As opposed to Peter, Judith, and Nick.

Three Conservative councillors who made one or two posts, and who quickly scarpered, if our questions became too difficult for them to answer.

I'm sure Cllr. Moss will happily share his opinions, as he is want to do, just as soon as he's back from his jollies.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 10:16   #75
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
As opposed to Peter, Judith, and Nick.

Three Conservative councillors who made one or two posts, and who quickly scarpered, if our questions became too difficult for them to answer.

I'm sure Cllr. Moss will happily share his opinions, as he is want to do, just as soon as he's back from his jollies.

I have every confidence too. (I do hope Mancie reads this, and realises that Councillor Moss flies the red banner. Yes Mancie, it is called a balanced opinion......you can do that when you are neutral, but I guess you already know that, since you profess to be neutral too)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..