Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2009, 08:43   #211
Resting in Peace

Re: Now...This is silly and a complete waste of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Which makes it even worse. Why should the taxpayer repair privately owned homes that have been neglected by the home owner.

I wonder if the Council will build me a new garden wall
Ask at the next area council
Old 10-04-2009, 08:51   #212
Beacon of light

While Andrew insists that he is only trying to get the facts, he does it like he is Counsel for the prosecution.
Andrew there are gentler ways to obtain information, and these methods make it much less likely that you will be accused of harassment.......but hey you are young and have still a lot to learn.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:53   #213
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I think the majority vote is that we are all backing Cllr Jones here so let's call it a day please.

I'm am more interested in what points have been put forward to have these unadopted roads funded by tax payers to do temporary improvements, and still will not be adopted by LCC. Sorry, Bernard but filling in the potholes on Annie Street will only be of advantage to the residents, not to the rest of us .. unless you can convince me differently. Same with Hodder and Manor to be honest.

P.S. See Robert Owen has now changed to Bernard Dawson.
(I told him what to do ages ago, but nobody takes any notice of me ... )
Kate I suppose predominately it will be the residents of those streets that will benefit most. But Hodder St does get used quite a bit by other traffic, Annie St maybe not so much.

It's the just the top block of Annie St that were talking about doing, the bottom block has already been done .

It's also the back Manor St we are hoping to do. It's a just a short bit, from Norfolk St down to where the Spar garage is. It only involves a about 5 houses. It's facing were the paper shop used to be on Manor St.

Thanks for the help with the name change. It just talk me awhile to get around to changing it.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:20   #214
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
Kate I suppose predominately it will be the residents of those streets that will benefit most. But Hodder St does get used quite a bit by other traffic, Annie St maybe not so much.

It's the just the top block of Annie St that were talking about doing, the bottom block has already been done .

It's also the back Manor St we are hoping to do. It's a just a short bit, from Norfolk St down to where the Spar garage is. It only involves a about 5 houses. It's facing were the paper shop used to be on Manor St.

Thanks for the help with the name change. It just talk me awhile to get around to changing it.

Ok ... thanks for that, not sure of traffic flow on Hodder Street, but you have to put a good case forward for doing these works, and only right that us voters question it.

By the way, don't usually point out spelling errors, but better amend your signature too ... from formally to formerly ... LOL. AndrewB made this mistake too, so only fair is pointed out to you too.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:34   #215
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Ok ... thanks for that, not sure of traffic flow on Hodder Street, but you have to put a good case forward for doing these works, and only right that us voters question it.

By the way, don't usually point out spelling errors, but better amend your signature too ... from formally to formerly ... LOL. AndrewB made this mistake too, so only fair is pointed out to you too.
Amusingly, it was me who set his signature originally.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:36   #216
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Amusingly, it was me who set his signature originally.
LOL .. actually thought it may have been Mick ! Good job I didn't accuse him.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:17   #217
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Which makes it even worse. Why should the taxpayer repair privately owned homes that have been neglected by the home owner.

I wonder if the Council will build me a new garden wall
1. A point not made. In Hyndburn, Area Council monies have been used to put scrappings down and crush them in, to improve for a short while unadopted roads. Certainly in Altham by Labour and I think elsewhere by Tory. No-one objected then to this type of work or budget source. It has been generally accepted at A/C's as ok.

2. I have been granted £115,000 of Lottery for Neighbourhood Management and whilst not the Council (they are not very good at filling in Lottery Forms Neil ), we will be doing precisely that (amongst other things), improving people's garden walls, railings etc...

Last edited by g jones; 10-04-2009 at 11:19.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:05   #218
God Member

Not to sound like I'm badgering on, but it would be nice if you could answer the questions I posted to clear things up please Graham? I know they were put across quite harshly, and I'm sorry I didn't mean them to come across in that way.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:47   #219
God Member

I can see how, despite councillors being capable of making fair, and equal decisions, when an interest is involved, it's very easy to accuse them of doing wrong, to benefit themselves, or others. This is the same with moderation. I myself am perfectly capable of being fair and balanced with moderation, but I do have an interest to declare, therefore it's very easy for it to look like I'm moderating to favour the political opinions I prefer the most.

As such I will no longer take part in moderating political threads.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:51   #220
Beacon of light

Andrew that is a good decision, at least that way you cannot be accused of political bias.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:52   #221
God Member

At last a victory for common sense

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 13:09   #222
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
1. A point not made. In Hyndburn, Area Council monies have been used to put scrappings down and crush them in, to improve for a short while unadopted roads. Certainly in Altham by Labour and I think elsewhere by Tory. No-one objected then to this type of work or budget source. It has been generally accepted at A/C's as ok.
I know they have, I don't have to agree with it though

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
2. I have been granted £115,000 of Lottery for Neighbourhood Management and whilst not the Council (they are not very good at filling in Lottery Forms Neil ), we will be doing precisely that (amongst other things), improving people's garden walls, railings etc...
Well done on the money. Will that be works for everyone or is there a selection criteria for houses in the area?
Old 10-04-2009, 19:54   #223

well they have just retarmac,t john street again were the rug place is they the all of the street,but they what tarmack was left they just put it on the wast land across the road but yet they could of used it on the path way at the side of merlin cour,t were there is a big dip what want,s filling in.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 20:12   #224
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard View Post
well they have just retarmac,t john street again were the rug place is they the all of the street,but they what tarmack was left they just put it on the wast land across the road but yet they could of used it on the path way at the side of merlin cour,t were there is a big dip what want,s filling in.
Is it as simple as just chucking the tarmac in the dip and rolling it out?

I would have thought the area would need to be correctly prepared before they can fill it or else it won't stick properly and we would all be moaning about it breaking up after a few weeks.
Old 10-04-2009, 23:57   #225
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Anybody living abroad is entitled to a vote at a general election, or the used to be able to in the days when I was active. They are allowed to vote for whom they want Tory, Labour, Lib/dem, or MRLP, that vote entitlement is at their last UK registered address. This is in much the same way as other people from other countries vote at their elections back home, Yanks Aussies etc.
Thanks for that Jaysay...I don't have a problem with Ex-pats having a vote... but be able to vote in general elections from the last registerd UK address seems open to abuse.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..