Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009, 11:55   #1
God Member

Angry Now...This is silly and a complete waste of time

I have just read this clip and think I'ts the worst case of witch hunt I have seen for a long time.

Accrington councillor probed over street repairs (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-04-2009, 12:13   #2
Super Moderator

Re: Now...This is silly and a complete waste of time

Totally agree...seems like someone's just trying to make political capital out of this...although I'm sure Andrew will explain to us why we're wrong!
Old 06-04-2009, 12:28   #3
Senior Member+

Does it matter where he lives if the roads are in need of repair.

What do we pay car tax for ?
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:31   #4
God Member

Sounds like P etty B ickering again

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:37   #5
God Member

absolutely pathetic although this does back up his claims of imature nit picking and general nastyness by his opposition

makes you wonder what dirty tactics they dont run to the papers with infact im surpised the newspaper actually bothered entertaining this story

the sun has more intergrity than this news paper

graham jones has even posted on here about these streets and that he lives on one of them unlike conservitive councilors who dare not post on here

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 13:02   #6
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I totally agree with the other posters. It must be like being back in infant school for Graham Jones whenever he tries to suggest improvements in his ward.

I have nothing but praise for Graham, he works very hard in our area for improvements. There is no doubt that all of the roads he suggested need resurfacing, the fact that one of those roads is where he lives is irrelevant.

I'm sure that PB and his lot wouldn't face such opposition when they apply for improvements to roads in their areas.

Hopefully, when his opponents stop spitting their dummies and flicking their jelly everywhere, something might finally get done.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 13:07   #7
God Member

PB's street has a speed camera on it right on his doorstep almost , should we assume he pulled strings to get it installed because he was fed up of traffic going fast past his house or that it was put there out of concern for his constituants?

stupid alligations can fly both ways

has it come to the point where if a councilor lives on a particular street that street should recieve no repairs as it may show favouritism ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 13:13   #8
God Member

I agree it's petty and a waste of time. Graham has done the same (cried about declaring interests) in full council before, so it's a bit of a 'do as I say not as I do' situation.

Last edited by andrewb; 06-04-2009 at 13:19.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 13:22   #9
God Member

I presume that when the proposal was made the rest of the councillors knew where Graham lived. Why then complain afterwards? Get on with what you were elected to do and represent your ward residents in a constuctive way. This is just silly playground games!!!!
Old 06-04-2009, 13:27   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Shameful unwarranted mud- slinging, why does it not surprise me?
Old 06-04-2009, 13:38   #11
Beacon of light

It smacks of baby-house.
I really hate it when local politicians feel they have to 'score points' by bad mouthing the opposition. Is there not enough work to keep the whole crew busy getting Accrington sorted?
I would think that they had much better things to do with their time.......and for t he local councillors involved in these tactics, all I can say is that it does absolutely nothing for your integrity
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 13:40   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
has it come to the point where if a councilor lives on a particular street that street should recieve no repairs as it may show favouritism ?
It is just the way it works mate. I have sat in Ossy Area Council meetings and seen a Councillors have declare an interest in an item under discussion and I think leave the room. I think the idea is so that Councillors can't be accused of doing something underhand for their own benefit.

If Graham had declared his interest initially, as they are supposed to, there would not have been an issue.

Sorry for the lost quotes below. It is from the Sillycowgate thread. It high lights an occasion where a similar thing happened but the other wat round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think its irrelevant, as I have heard today that the standards board have kicked it out, so no case to answer. you have to remember this is about the sixth time the Jones Boy has reported Britcliffe to the standards board and its the sixth time they've kick it out, that should tell you something about this man. I wonder If cllr Jones is now going to appologies to one of his own lady councillors for showing her up last week, when she ran out of a meeting in tears. I notice he hasn't mentioned that on here
This is nonsense. I reported him once only. He insisted at every public meeting that the bus station was staying on Peel Street. The bus operators then (and still do) refuse to speak to that man. He had/has a shop on Infant Street. He should have declared it and left the room.

The Standards Board Agreed and gave Britcliffe a severe warning. However the constitution of Hyndburn had been watered down and the advice from the SB to me was this could proceed no furthur as Mr Britcliffe had not broken one of his own rules......
Old 06-04-2009, 13:52   #13

Councillor Peter Britcliffe has issued the following statement regarding the Complaint against Councillor Graham Jones for putting forward and approving a scheme to improve his own street at an Area Council meeting in the Autumn of 2008:

"I thank those who are giving me credit for this complaint as Councillor Jones has often vexaciously tried to implicate me in similar situations. However, the first time I knew about this was when I read the Lancashire Evening Telegraph and was told I was getting the blame for this on the Web.

Councillor Jones knows as well as anybody how careful we all have to be so that we do not offend the standards set by his Government. At times it is like treading on egg shells, hence I have never been able to propose Hanging Baskets or Christmas Decorations for the Infant Street area where I have a business interest. It also precluded me from taking part in the Pennine Sq/Peel St development competition as if I had I am quite sure Councillor Jones would have been one of the first to make a complaint. So even though it is Spring, he really should not bleat like a lamb when someone decides to play him at his own game."
TheLeadersOffice HBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 14:00   #14
Beacon of light

I wondered how long it would be before some directive was issued from The Leaders Office....the answer is....not very long.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 14:08   #15
Senior Member+

Pathetic point scoring pettiness.
We only ever hear from " The Leader" () when there is mudslinging to be done.
Doing yourself no favours on here PB, it's obvious what your intentions are, and it stinks!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..