Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 09:57   #31

Re: Observer Offices to close

"Just last night I was watching a Money Programme" very interesting and Trinity Mirror shares are now 29p
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-03-2009, 10:25   #32

Yes Wadey,a fall from £6 a share two years ago.A bit worrying when my pension is tied to this!
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:36   #33
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I don' think that the reporters will lose their jobs

'The 150 job losses includes 78 journalists across 23 newspaper titles.'

BBC NEWS | England | Manchester | News publisher makes 150 job cuts

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:38   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

thats bad, but not unexpected.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:42   #35

Generally speaking,I think thatpaid for Newspapers have had there day.With internet and satellite news availability.Who wants yesterdays news?
Old 11-03-2009, 10:57   #36
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampman View Post
Generally speaking,I think thatpaid for Newspapers have had there day.With internet and satellite news availability.Who wants yesterdays news?
The ironic thing is that online newspapers do not pay for themselves, they are subsidised by the money from selling paper copy.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:05   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
'The 150 job losses includes 78 journalists across 23 newspaper titles.'

BBC NEWS | England | Manchester | News publisher makes 150 job cuts
That's sad Rindi, just wonder how many of the Obs staff it will affect, wonder if Mervin will be put out to grass, I've known him for many years and have a lot of time for him to, was always prepared to listen, its not that long ago that he rang me to see if I'd heard something on he grapevine about a story the Obs were covering.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:09   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The ironic thing is that online newspapers do not pay for themselves, they are subsidised by the money from selling paper copy.
I have to say that I love reading the Obs on a Friday morning. I stopped getting the Telegraph about 18 months ago, and now go on line to see whats cooking, although its one of the slowest web sites I've ever come across and it quite regularly jams up on me. don't bother with the Obs web site because it is so poor
Old 11-03-2009, 14:11   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampman View Post

I have to agree ( to a point ) i buy a Sun every day whilst at work (and of course an Observer on a fri), it passes a bit of time and as i`m up at 5.30 the news is pretty up to date although at weekends and days off i read it online instead , going out to buy a copy seems pointless..............
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 15:30   #40
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
I have to agree ( to a point ) i buy a Sun every day whilst at work (and of course an Observer on a fri)
I think that will continue. Many people don't want to read an online paper on their mobile phone while at work and many do not have internet access at work.
Old 11-03-2009, 17:04   #41
God Member

Quote:
I think that will continue. Many people don't want to read an online paper on their mobile phone while at work and many do not have internet access at work.
Although a phone is easier to hide on your way to the toilet of a morning............
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 17:41   #42
Senior Member+

Re: Accrington Observer offices

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Looks like the reporters will be made redundant, yet another nail in Accy's coffin, this town is officially bust, I can't use the words I really want to put.
If anyone wants to lay the blame , much of it can be put down to ridiculous rents and business rates, total lack of advertising and the fact that walking on Broadway is akin to taking your life into your hands,drug dealers, alcoholics, shoplifters, wonky pavements, untreated ice, that's on a good day! Or if you are feeling really brave you could venture up onto Abbey St and feel threatened and intimidated in the environs of what can only be described as Maundyland. (it's like Disneyland except that the horrors are real and not something dreamt up by a Pirates of the Caribbean scriptwriter)
I have lived and worked in Accy all my life I have never been more disillusioned by what I see around me, I had a friend come up from London the other week and found myself apologising for the state of the town. It's a real shame and the council seem oblivious to the real issues.
Sad.
I agree with that Lindsay.

I know that the Observer isnt the paper it once was but i still look forward to reading it every week, certainly much more so than the jellygraph. At least with local reporters it still had its own identity if these go all we can probably look forward to is a North Western Paper with a few pages of our region included in it. Who round here would buy it then...not me for sure. I'm hoping things dont quite come to that, but its not sounding good, hopefully we may know more tomorrow. Imagine life without photos of ...."We're at the Calder today"....oh those demented smiles!!! Even worse thought....we might not see as much of PB!!!...

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 11:43   #43

Posted this earlier on Rossendale Online but as Observer staff are in the same position I thought you may be interested
"The Guardian editor-in-chief, Alan Rusbridger, received salary and benefits of £401,000 in the past financial year.
Rusbridger's salary and benefits package compared with a package of £355,000 for Guardian Media Group's previous financial year.
In the year to the end of March, Rusbridger received a salary of £385,000 and benefits in kind of £16,000, according to GMG's 2008 annual report, published today."
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 12:44   #44

Somethings never change Wadey,as I said in an earlier post execs are untouchable(for a while at least.)
During my career I worked printing many local and National papers,it was always the case of them and us,the haves and have nots.
Thank God that's all in the past!
Old 15-03-2009, 08:34   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
I think you're right Neil. However if some people switch or stop, will that be enough to kill any margins for the newspapers and be the end anyway?

Not being a political!! I see in the US this has been a big issue as many major titles have gone in a short space of time, many cities down to just one paper o the stand. The famous San Francisco Chronicle went recently.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..