Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-03-2009, 09:12   #46
Resting in Peace

Re: Observer Offices to close

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
I think you're right Neil. However if some people switch or stop, will that be enough to kill any margins for the newspapers and be the end anyway?

Not being a political!! I see in the US this has been a big issue as many major titles have gone in a short space of time, many cities down to just one paper o the stand. The famous San Francisco Chronicle went recently.
Well I've found something I can agree with you on Graham, personally I would hate to see the Observer go out of business, we only really have two local papers the Obs and he Telegraph, I stopped buying the Telegraph quite a while ago, because, after they scraped the Hyndburn edition, I didn't really need to know what goes on in say Rossendale, if I did I'd still get the Free Press. I now have a quick look at the LT on line every day, but get in depth stories in the Observer on Fridays
Old 15-03-2009, 10:58   #47
Senior Member+

There was'nt really an awfull lot of information in this weeks article in the observer, stating that our patch will still be covered by reporters and photographers, does'nt really clear much up, as to whether we are still going to be having a local newspaper, or just a regional one with some local content...i fear the latter!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 11:23   #48
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
I think you're right Neil. However if some people switch or stop, will that be enough to kill any margins for the newspapers and be the end anyway?
If the paper copy really is paying for the online version as I believe is the case wont both go bump at the same time. Advertising on the online paper sites does not bring in enough money. In some countries online papers are now starting to charge for reading.
Old 16-03-2009, 09:10   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
If the paper copy really is paying for the online version as I believe is the case wont both go bump at the same time. Advertising on the online paper sites does not bring in enough money. In some countries online papers are now starting to charge for reading.
If that's the case Neil it won't be long before we follow suite in this country you bet your life on that
Old 16-03-2009, 15:32   #50

Oh for the days of "hot metal" when owner Harry Crossley,editor Frank Kitchener and foreman Les Stott would return from their pint in the Blockade Hotel inspect the last page"pull" and declare ,"that's another one put to bed".Then they would b~~~~~ off back to the Blockade leaving us to print the paper,this took anything between 4 and 8 hours depending on which way the mop flopped!
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 15:34   #51
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampman View Post
Oh for the days of "hot metal" when owner Harry Crossley,editor Frank Kitchener and foreman Les Stott would return from their pint in the Blockade Hotel inspect the last page"pull" and declare ,"that's another one put to bed".Then they would b~~~~~ off back to the Blockade leaving us to print the paper,this took anything between 4 and 8 hours depending on which way the mop flopped!
Where was it printed before the Mirror started making a mess of it?
Old 16-03-2009, 15:43   #52

Would it be Drake Street Rochdale same as the Free Press?
I'm not certain on this as I lost track of the Obs. after moving on,only to bump into it again some 30 years down the line at the Chadderton site.
As mentioned before the print run used to be hours at the Observer,at the Mirror it was over before you could set the ink or register the image.Hence the 3 D photos.
I think in the early seventies the circulation was 27000 for the weekend edition(Friday night print for Saturday)With a lesser run for the Tuesday tabloid.The tabloid was high tech, we had to use a guillotine to cut the edge of the paper,thus turning a broadsheet into a tabloid.
Old 16-03-2009, 19:21   #53

Hey, you must have been there at the same time as my father, George Foster, he used to mention all those names!!

On a different track, I would like to speak to any tele sales staff that are being made redundant, maybe we could have a job for them. Please message me
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 22:15   #54
Senior Member+

This all seems really sad. I know that I can't buy a copy now but I do like to check the website out a couple of times a week. From everything that I've read on Accyweb lately, I have visions of tumbleweed blowing down Broadway and not a soul to be seen.

Poor, poor Accy.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 22:20   #55
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by junetta View Post
This all seems really sad. I know that I can't buy a copy now but I do like to check the website out a couple of times a week. From everything that I've read on Accyweb lately, I have visions of tumbleweed blowing down Broadway and not a soul to be seen.

Poor, poor Accy.
It is sad.

The Observer has always been in Accrington.
Old 16-03-2009, 23:08   #56
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Would it be Drake Street Rochdale same as the Free Press?
I'm not certain on this as I lost track of the Obs. after moving on,only to bump into it again some 30 years down the line at the Chadderton site.
As mentioned before the print run used to be hours at the Observer,at the Mirror it was over before you could set the ink or register the image.Hence the 3 D photos.
I think in the early seventies the circulation was 27000 for the weekend edition(Friday night print for Saturday)With a lesser run for the Tuesday tabloid.The tabloid was high tech, we had to use a guillotine to cut the edge of the paper,thus turning a broadsheet into a tabloid.
did it not used to be printed on school st accy? opposite side from the nags head further down,way back?
Old 17-03-2009, 03:19   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
did it not used to be printed on school st accy? opposite side from the nags head further down,way back?
Yes, at the bottom of the road where the Nags Head is on the opposite side
Old 17-03-2009, 07:20   #58

The location for the Observer was Edgar Street,The Nags Head was one of the watering holes for the printing staff(manys the tray of beer I carried down the road).Sam Eubank was the licensee.
Yes George was there for a time,didn't he have a shop as well?
Old 17-03-2009, 09:16   #59
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The location for the Observer was Edgar Street,The Nags Head was one of the watering holes for the printing staff(manys the tray of beer I carried down the road).Sam Eubank was the licensee.
I remember Sam having the Nags Lampman, I think he died well he was still in the pub, I know his wife got a house in George Street Ossy when she came out of the pub
Old 17-03-2009, 18:27   #60

Quote:
I am sure that the back doors were on the same street as the Nags Head?
No it was my mother who had the shop not George

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..