Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2006, 10:19   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Organ Donors.

It all depends on what drugs you have been taking
I cant give blood as i am on heart drugs so i dont know it they would use the organs
But if they are of any use they can have them .
but Anne says she is keeping the STENTS as they are worth £6000
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-09-2006, 10:43   #17
Resident Waffler

She planning on flogging them on eBay?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:45   #18
God Member

Thats it Mick no hiding now. Anne will be out with the metal detector hunting you.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 13:37   #19
Senior Member+

i too have agreed to being a donor but only for certain parts of my body,my husband has told me he would refuse to let them take anything from me ,im glad that he cant have a choice in the matter anymore it should be at the donors request to have it done,
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 14:18   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmi5bellies
I am also on the blood bone marrow donors list. This is a simple test to have done, they just take an extra little bit of blood at the blood donors and send it off.
This is something i'm interested in becoming, i don't know where or when the blood donor sessions are in Accrington. As for the organ donor part of it, they can have whatever they want, just as long as they replace the parts with bricks. I don't want my coffin bearers having an easier time. lol

I'd like to think that my organs could give a parent or grandparent a few more years with thier loved one's.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 17:36   #21
Resting in Peace

Just wondered what you all thought about the new experiments in womb transplants. I think, if they can get this right, is a brilliant innovation for those women who long to produce their own offspring. Certainly better than the surrogate mothers who must go through problems when handing over the baby, and also the risk they put themselves at.

Don't quite understand the reports, but looks like it may come with ovaries and all, and, as the donor would be deceased, strong possiblities that there would be no claim on the child.

Maybe, could be their own flesh and blood if they took eggs before the patient lost their womb .. not sure? but anyway, what joy it would bring to some couples.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 18:03   #22
God Member

Not to sure on that kat but then a few comments that could come wouldnt help. This is only because I start to think of all the kids that need adopting and nothing more sinister than that.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 06-09-2006, 18:13   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Not to sure on that kat but then a few comments that could come wouldnt help. This is only because I start to think of all the kids that need adopting and nothing more sinister than that.
Yeh, but at the end of the day Spuggie, nowt like yer own, is there ? and you got that already. You throwing in a Red Herring there methinks.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 18:22   #24
God Member

Sherbet dip caught out! Yes I have my own "HOOLI" but untill it is proven to work I will reserve judgement.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 06-09-2006, 18:34   #25
Apprentice Geriatric

Question Re: Organ Donors.

I have nothing against a couple receiving medical help if they cannot conceive by the tried and tested method but isn’t it storing up future problems for the offspring?

What I mean is that if the inability to become pregnant or father a child is down to a genetic malfunction, won’t that same or similar malfunction be passed on to the resultant baby? Then she or he will have the same sort of problem and so it goes on and on.

Don’t take this too harshly but if a woman is unable to conceive or a man unable to father a child, isn’t that nature’s way of saying, “hang on we have a defective person here and we don’t want to pass the defect on to further generations.”
Old 06-09-2006, 18:44   #26
Resident Waffler

I'm not so sure how easy it is to adopt these days or how many children there are who need parents. I know when my first husband and I looked at adopting we were up against a lot of walls. Most of the children requiring parnts seemed to be older children with physical or health or emotional problems who needed something specific from the family they would go to, and we didn't fit the bill. Or they were of a specific racial mix and we were too white. There was an assumption too that because we were white all our friends would also be white and we would have no understanding of someone with caribbean grandparents! Well, OK I don't have caribbean grandparents but some of my friends do.

Then there was the "must have had previous experience of bringing up a child"

Maybe it's easier these days but people still seem to be illegally buying babies from Romania.

I think the womb transplant seems like a good idea. If the woman retains her own ovaries then she will actually give birth to her own baby with the same genetic thingummy.

I was listening to a prog on the radio a few weeks ago about adopted children tracing their birth parents, for a variety of reasons. One of them being inherited ailments.

Old 06-09-2006, 19:32   #27
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyJay
This is something i'm interested in becoming, i don't know where or when the blood donor sessions are in Accrington.
Try this link:
http://www.blood.co.uk/pages/search.asp

I've been donating blood here in the USA since college days (smart college gave the dormitory with the highest percentage of residents donating a keg of beer! My dorm made a point of always winning the "Blood Keg!"). Thank you in advance for becoming a blood donor - I've sent a bit of karma your way!

I'm going to speak about organ donation from a slightly different angle. Earlier this year, I lost my wife. She had been on dialysis for more than three years as a complication of insulin-dependent diabetes. She had been diabetic from the age of ten, but had taken great care of herself, so that she still had her eyesight and her feet and legs (not to mention her life) after 49 years with this insidious disease. Had a kidney been available to her, the odds that she would still be alive are very high. Had I been eligible to donate one of my kidneys to her, I would not have hesitated for a moment. Many more organ donors are needed, but many folks will not be bothered to fill out the donor card.

I've seen the dialysis ward, and made friends with many patients who "disappear" forever for want of a kidney that someone else no longer needs. I've also seen the huge improvement in both health and quality of life for those lucky ones who find a donor in time. Anyone who has been there knows what they should do regarding a donor card.

I think that the concept of "opting out" is excellent. Just give folks the opportunity to opt out each time the drivers license is renewed. Also, provide a website so that folks who wish to opt out can do so at their convenience. With today's technology, a national database that hospitals can access would also be possible so that carrying a card would not be necessary. No one should be forced to donate, but I do think that the principle of having the default process serve the greater good for the greater number of people is a wise policy.

To put it bluntly, when folks lives are at stake, I have very little use for those who choose to hoard kidneys (or other organs) that they no longer have a use for. It is your right to do so, but exercising that right is an awfully selfish act!

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 19:49   #28
Resident Waffler

Thank you for sharing that with us Billcat.

A friend of mine died in her 30s whilst waiting for a transplant that never happened.

When a person is dead they no longer need their organs and I cannot understand how anyone can not want to help others to live. I know I do.

Old 06-09-2006, 22:21   #29
Junior Member+

If they did do an opting out thing then i hope you could opt out of certain things like you have to chose what you want to give. Because iv got a funny thing about my eyes, and i have a card that says they can have except my retinas. They could have other stuff aswell if they can find a use for it
shady_bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:09   #30
Yank in King Art's Court!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Is that bound by law or just like carrying a donar card that can be challanged by surviving relatives?
Having it right on the drivers' license probably isn't bound by law but I don't think many over here would challenge "a dying wish" of a loved one!

Billcat, so sorry for your loss!

On a much lighter note, I wish I went to your college.

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..