Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2006, 18:54   #46
Resting in Peace

Re: Organ Donors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyJay
I'm with Jambutty on this one.

PHP Code:
I accept that every single person has the right to decree what happens to their bodies on their demiseThis includes parents making the decision on behalf of their children under 12 or 13 years of ageI feel that a 12 years old child is perfectly capable of making that decision for him/herself if given all the facts and not pressured into going one way or the otherMaybe a lesson or two in school would help
Still a little unclear here ... ok .. parents can make the decision once the child has passed away, however, goes on to say that a 12 year old is perfectly capable of making the decision to sign up for donors card, but under this age is what I am getting at. A 2-year old dies and heart passed on to new born.. they would not be allowed to apply for a donor's card at 2-year old surely, and parents not right to sign up for them if they themselves are in need of a donor. Am I making sense ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-09-2006, 18:56   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:

PHP Code:
I accept that every single person has the right to decree what happens to their bodies on their demiseThis includes parents making the decision on behalf of their children under 12 or 13 years of ageI feel that a 12 years old child is perfectly capable of making that decision for him/herself if given all the facts and not pressured into going one way or the otherMaybe a lesson or two in school would help
Still a little unclear here ... ok .. parents can make the decision once the child has passed away, however, goes on to say that a 12 year old is perfectly capable of making the decision to sign up for donors card, but under this age is what I am getting at. A 2-year old dies and heart passed on to new born.. they would not be allowed to apply for a donor's card at 2-year old surely, and parents not right to sign up for them if they themselves are in need of a donor. Am I making sense ?
Old 07-09-2006, 19:21   #48
Resting in Peace

Quote:

PHP Code:
Old 07-09-2006, 20:41   #49
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee
On a much lighter note, I wish I went to your college.

Brian
Well, it was the college the movie Animal House was based on (Chris Miller, Class of 1963 wrote the original stories and co-wrote the screenplay). The Alpha Delta house at Dartmouth College. All the antics make a whole lot more sense when one understands that Dartmouth was an all-male college a long, long way from the big cities and women's colleges, a relatively bright group of young men will get up to all kinds of mischief. Especially when there is no risk of finding oneself red-faced in front of a group of young ladies! When the college went co-ed in the early 1970's the civilizing impact of women calmed the place down a good bit.

We viewed giving blood a a kind of macho thing. The chance to win a keg of beer didn't hurt, either, nor did the homemade chocolate chip cookies that were available after you gave your pint! I still give blood regularly, but it's nowhere near so much fun.

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 20:54   #50
Accy Goddess

I have just updated my details on the donation register. I have been meaning to do it for some time now.
Thanks for the link. I would still be getting round to it.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 22:34   #51
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
However I have no intention of arguing semantics (the meaning of a word, phrase, sentence, or text.) with you.
So why then did you do just that?

This forum is neither a letter or a newsparper.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 23:13   #52
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Am I making sense ?
No.

Kate did you press the post button several times to get all those popsts or did you click the back button and post again or did you press refresh a few times. Please PM me with how you did it so as not to be off thread, I am trying to understand how people are getting the double post problem.
Old 07-09-2006, 23:18   #53
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I just did the test and they don't want my blood. No not 'cus of any of the sex questions but because I have recently had surgery.
Old 07-09-2006, 23:31   #54
Give, give, give member

They don't want my blood, does that mean no one wants my organ?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:19   #55
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
What I mean is that if the inability to become pregnant or father a child is down to a genetic malfunction, won’t that same or similar malfunction be passed on to the resultant baby? Then she or he will have the same sort of problem and so it goes on and on.

Don’t take this too harshly but if a woman is unable to conceive or a man unable to father a child, isn’t that nature’s way of saying, “hang on we have a defective person here and we don’t want to pass the defect on to further generations.”
We could be in danger here of going down the road where people with a history of hereditary illnesses would be excluded from IVF (things like diabetes, epilepsy......?) then we're only a step away from saying that such people should be discouraged from having children naturally. In which case my two wouldn't be here because their Dad was diabetic and there's a history of epilepsy in my mother's family. I know that may sound like scaremongering but once you're on a slippery slope it can sometimes be difficult to get off.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:56   #56
God Member

Any hereditary disease can crop up at any time. They can skip generations affect only males or only females. With some you need a gene that is faulty from both parents to be affected so it can be a lottery the same as life. Its bad enough having these problems but if you have the cash you can have a healthy baby by having it screened before birth. End result that if its not perfect then it can be aborted. Welcome to the age of disease free designer babbies.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:41   #57
Resident Waffler

I was offered screening to see if my first one had any "defects" but when I pointed out that I am opposed to abortion anyway they agreed there wouldn't be much point. It wasn't even mentioned when I had my second. Both are normal healthy teenagers - well as normal as any teenager can be in the eyes of an adult. The one with wavy hair straightens hers and the one with straight hair complains that curls won't stay in!

Old 08-09-2006, 12:12   #58
God Member

Was there not a case not long ago where due to the need for compatible doner a couple decided to have the "perfect baby" for this very reason??

I am anti abortion and hate it when it is used because the woman did not take any precautions. I know a lady who had 1 too many abortions and now that she is married and wants a family she cant. She would proberly jump at the chance of a transplant.

Proberly best to leave the abortion issue for another thread.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:28   #59
Resident Waffler

I can't remember all the details of that case but I think they wanted to have a baby who would be compatible as a donor. It's difficult to judge on that one, I think I'd probably have wanted another baby in the hope of saving the first one but I wouldn't have chosen to abort if it had turned out to be incompatible.

Old 16-09-2006, 22:06   #60
Senior Member+

this is a bit too close to home after what hapenned at the childrens hospital in Liverpool.When all said and done there are two sides to the subject but i would like to have the choice before any of my bits are given away.Would you have to donate if you were just brain dead?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..