Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012, 00:23   #46

Re: Oswalstwistle Wind Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
This thread has raised an interesting question.

Why should some licence payers get more channels than others?

If you are on a repeater you get less channels than if you are on a main transmitter but everyone pays tge same.
We pay the Licence Fee to receive BBC Channels. Years ago when there was only BBC and one ITV channel, a woman was taken to court for refusing to pay - she said her TV wasn't tuned into BBC as she only watched ITV. She lost her case.
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-12-2012, 00:38   #47

Radio stations are still on wave bands and I believe are not being affected by these wind farm turbines. The last government decided to switch the country over to digital because the airwaves were getting too crowded. In the event I believe since the digital introduction they've sold licences for those airwaves to other concerns. They must have known that the turbines would affect our digital TV receivers - which reminds me; the BBC has a tool on their website for councils and wind farm developers. I don't know how long this page has been in operation but it could have helped the council to make an informed assessment:-

<<This tool is provided for the guidance of wind farm developers. It provides a rough estimate of the population that may suffer interference to their television services from a wind farm built at the location specified. The tool is not intended to be a substitute for an on-site survey where the potential for disruption to television services may be assessed more accurately.>>
BBC - Help receiving TV and radio - Wind farms and interference to TV reception

It looks like there's a power struggle going on in the coalition government with the Tories wanting to stop building the farms and the Lib-Dems opposing their partners.
dated 25th Nov.2012:
UK Government At War Over Wind Farms | The Global Warming Policy Foundation (GWPF)
Old 10-12-2012, 08:03   #48
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysgirl View Post
We pay the Licence Fee to receive BBC Channels. Years ago when there was only BBC and one ITV channel, a woman was taken to court for refusing to pay - she said her TV wasn't tuned into BBC as she only watched ITV. She lost her case.
You don't pay to receive BBC channels, you pay a licence to receive any publicly broadcast television service, they have tweaked the rules slightly over the years to cover modern broadcasting methods.

I think its wrong that many people receive an inferior service but pay the same as those that are fortunate enough to receive 6 multiplexes from a main transmitter
Old 10-12-2012, 09:42   #49
God Member

Would be nice if I could get a signal from either WH or Hassy but I can't so have only a choice of freesat or Sky....

Ian

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:17   #50
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Would be nice if I could get a signal from either WH or Hassy but I can't so have only a choice of freesat or Sky....

Ian
Your not trying hard enough, a 30m mast with a good aerial on top should help
Old 10-12-2012, 11:31   #51
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Your not trying hard enough, a 30m mast with a good aerial on top should help
If he makes the mast 50m he can put a windmill on top and generate his own electricity as well.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:38   #52
God Member

Perhaps I could just nick one of those off ossy moor that everyones complaining about and shove it in my back garden... ( and no, if one does go missing, I'm not being serious!!!)

Old 10-12-2012, 13:12   #53
Senior Member+

Quote:
Perhaps I could just nick one of those off ossy moor that everyones complaining about and shove it in my back garden... ( and no, if one does go missing, I'm not being serious!!!)

Thank God you aren't serious
Old 10-12-2012, 13:52   #54
God Member

I'd let you tap into it though....

Old 10-12-2012, 16:11   #55
Senior Member+

Quote:
I'd let you tap into it though....
Generosity must be your middle name
Old 10-12-2012, 19:03   #56
Senior Member+

Re: Oswaldtwistle Wind Farm

Some of my neighbours have been asked to contribute £60 towards the cost of Freesat but I have advised them to say no, as mine was fitted free.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 22:47   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Some of my neighbours have been asked to contribute £60 towards the cost of Freesat but I have advised them to say no, as mine was fitted free.
This was the subject in the corner newsagents today - one chap who'd already paid his £60 then learnt others had got the same for free had to go home for health reasons.

Last edited by Lucysgirl; 10-12-2012 at 22:50.
Old 21-12-2012, 21:09   #58

Did anyone else have TV reception problems early this morning (Friday)? I couldn't get a decent reception on any BBC channel or Granada ITV either via my original aerial nor the new Freesat dish receiver.
Old 18-06-2013, 00:15   #59

Has anyone else experienced disrupted picture and sound these last several days?

Initially I thought it might be the outside broadcast programmes but it's also been happening in studio programmes aswell ........... particularly exasperating when the picture either freezes or pixelates for several seconds and you miss the answer to a quiz or the punchline to a joke
Old 18-06-2013, 22:53   #60
God Member

its about time the BBC lost its government backing and were made to earn tehir money like every other channel

its easy to stay in buisness when the government say you have to pay for something regardless of if you actually want it or not

i doubt they would last a year without teh licence fees all tehir stars would sod off to sky or itv because they wouldnt be able to afford teh extortionate fees that are demanded by the likes of johnathan ross

yes i know he works for itv now but licence fee payers arnt paying his wages now

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..