Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-06-2013, 23:43   #61

Re: Oswaldtwistle Wind Farm

Anybody experiencing interference with TV reception due to the Oswaldtwistle Wind Farm can contact Councillor Kath Pratt on [email protected] Kath is a Councillor for Baxenden Ward where most of the TV interference is occurring. Apparently the situation in in the hands of a solicitor. Kath will be able to tell you more.
cashman likes this.

Last edited by Judith Addison; 18-06-2013 at 23:45. Reason: e-mail address is incorrect
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-06-2013, 08:49   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Addison View Post
Anybody experiencing interference with TV reception due to the Oswaldtwistle Wind Farm can contact Councillor Kath Pratt on [email protected] Kath is a Councillor for Baxenden Ward where most of the TV interference is occurring. Apparently the situation in in the hands of a solicitor. Kath will be able to tell you more.
Thanks Judith - I didn't know it had gone that far!

When I had to use the top box provided I lost facilities to record and also watch programmes I'd already recorded. A bit galling really as the recorder wasn't all that old.
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 14:53   #63

What's TV reception like for others in the areas affected by the Haslingden Wind farm?

I'm having dreadful TV reception in Baxenden these last few days, it's so bad that the replace box top has started to sporadically lose signals altogether.
Old 29-07-2013, 17:00   #64
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysgirl View Post
What's TV reception like for others in the areas affected by the Haslingden Wind farm?

I'm having dreadful TV reception in Baxenden these last few days, it's so bad that the replace box top has started to sporadically lose signals altogether.
The recent weather has caused us some minor interruptions to the service - as you seem to have had this, and other possibly related problems for some time, I would suggest that you get the dish alignment checked and also your unit configuration/connections.
Old 29-07-2013, 22:27   #65
God Member

its ok weve got the answer import power from Iceland Former Tory minister Charles Hendry takes job with party donor | Politics | The Guardian
Old 30-07-2013, 15:06   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
The recent weather has caused us some minor interruptions to the service - as you seem to have had this, and other possibly related problems for some time, I would suggest that you get the dish alignment checked and also your unit configuration/connections.
The wind farm people sent somebody to check everything a couple of weeks ago. I've got my original aerial and also their dish which they installed a while back. He said he hadn't needed to re-align anything and I've got strong signals and everything is A okay. However, he did decide to change a waterproof tape on the dish wiring to a different type. The weather and the reception was perfect when he arrived and perfect when he left.

This wasn't the same company which installed the wind farm's dish and "Manhattan" top box and I declined his suggestion that the dish be changed from pointing towards a satellite to pointing towards Haslingden.

This bad reception situation is reminiscent of fifty years ago when TV sets were prone to losing a stable picture.
Old 30-07-2013, 17:04   #67
Senior Member+

Quote:

This wasn't the same company which installed the wind farm's dish and "Manhattan" top box and I declined his suggestion that the dish be changed from pointing towards a satellite to pointing towards Haslingden.

I may well be missing something here. My understanding was that Winter Hill, and the repeater at Haslingden use terrestrial signals via a Yagi Antenna - a rod with cross bars on it pointing at the transmitter. I didn't realise that a satellite dish was used for this form of transmission.

If I am correct in that the dish antenna is for satellite reception, then the chap that suggested you have it pointed at Haslingden repeater is probably a tarmac drive engineer.

If you had good reception when the weather was good then it may be that the alignment isn't quite true, or if sealing tape on the LNB connectors had to be replaced it may be that water has entered the LNB. I suggest that you get someone competent to check out your installation.
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:14   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I may well be missing something here. My understanding was that Winter Hill, and the repeater at Haslingden use terrestrial signals via a Yagi Antenna - a rod with cross bars on it pointing at the transmitter. I didn't realise that a satellite dish was used for this form of transmission.

If I am correct in that the dish antenna is for satellite reception, then the chap that suggested you have it pointed at Haslingden repeater is probably a tarmac drive engineer.

If you had good reception when the weather was good then it may be that the alignment isn't quite true, or if sealing tape on the LNB connectors had to be replaced it may be that water has entered the LNB. I suggest that you get someone competent to check out your installation.
Sorry - my mistake.

(1) It was suggested that my original aerial be moved so that it pointed towards Haslingden. I wasn't keen on that as I was more than satisfied when that aerial was installed and picked up a perfect signal from Winter Hill. Somewhere on this site I wrote that when the poor reception problem started last year I paid a local rigger to check the status of my original aerial. This was when I learnt of the wind farm. The advantage of most local riggers is they know where the local problems are in each street, such as trees interfering with signals, etc. Unless things have changed in the several decades I've lived in this house, then I know that I would have a sporadic problem receiving the Haslingden signal without the windfarm being built.

(2) The alternative dish provided by the wind farm's original representative is pointed towards a satellite and the reception had, until recently, been acceptable. The problem with the dish and its attending top box is that both of them are of low quality thus denying me the use of my programme recording equipment. This latest technician offered to provide a new top box and install an addition onto the dish to enable me to use my programme recorder.

(3) Why would anyone want to point towards Haslingden when their channels are stuffed full of "teleshopping" programmes?
Old 05-08-2013, 13:20   #69
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
(2) The alternative dish provided by the wind farm's original representative is pointed towards a satellite and the reception had, until recently, been acceptable. The problem with the dish and its attending top box is that both of them are of low quality thus denying me the use of my programme recording equipment. This latest technician offered to provide a new top box and install an addition onto the dish to enable me to use my programme recorder.
When you say the picture was acceptable do you mean the picture was perfect? The picture should be perfect with no noise, braking up or blockiness when you have a correctly installed digital satellite dish and receiver.

You say the Manhattan set top box is of low quality which I find surprising because they were always the Rolls Royce of satellite equipment that most enthusiasts couldn't afford to buy.

How much money did he want for installing the extra equipment so you could use your recorder?

Quote:
(3) Why would anyone want to point towards Haslingden when their channels are stuffed full of "teleshopping" programmes?
Winter hill will have all the same teleshopping programmes as Haslingden, it probably has more of them as it carries more channels.
Old 05-08-2013, 15:10   #70
Senior Member+

There are even more shopping channels on freeview with a dish
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:19   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
When you say the picture was acceptable do you mean the picture was perfect? The picture should be perfect with no noise, braking up or blockiness when you have a correctly installed digital satellite dish and receiver.

You say the Manhattan set top box is of low quality which I find surprising because they were always the Rolls Royce of satellite equipment that most enthusiasts couldn't afford to buy.

How much money did he want for installing the extra equipment so you could use your recorder?

Winter hill will have all the same teleshopping programmes as Haslingden, it probably has more of them as it carries more channels.
Another apology from me for using the wrong words - unfortunately I don't have technical vocabulary....
I was told by the chap who originally fitted the Manhatten gadgetry that I could not use my recording machine with it. The chap who visited recently said that if I wanted to use my recorder then the dish needed extra gadgetry .... he demonstrated what I needed by pointing to a 'thing' in the middle of the black dish affixed to an external wall - (the 'thing' is shaped like a little fat sausage lol ) my understanding is I either needed another sausage or needed a new dish which had the required elements as integral fittings.

Currently my recorder is tuned into my original TV programmes which use the original aerial. If there is uninterrupted reception via the aerial I can view my old recordings.

Due to my age, I catnap and through the night when most people are asleep the aerial TV actually has programmes such as films/dramas which i like to watch. There are no similar programmes available on the channels via my dish.

MONEY: The rigger who the wind farm recently sent said the cost was F.O.C.
Old 06-08-2013, 13:56   #72
BOB

YOU HAVE THE SAME BOX AS ME YOU NEED A TWIN UNIVERSIAL SATELLITE LNB IT HAS TWO CABLES GOING TO THE BOX ONE FOR THE TUNER AND ONE FOR THE RECORDER Twin Universal Satellite LNB : Satellite LNBs : Maplin Electronics
BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 15:13   #73
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Oswaldtwistle Wind Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Perhaps so, I don't tune in to the shopping channels but if I fall asleep on a channel that shifts to 'shopping', when it finishes broadcasting progs, it's always tat they are selling!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 15:43   #74
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Isn't it freesat with a dish and freeview with terestrial reception ?
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 15:54   #75
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Isn't it freesat with a dish and freeview with terestrial reception ?
That was my understanding too

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..