Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2013, 16:48   #76
I am Banned

Re: Oswaldtwistle Wind Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysgirl View Post
Another apology from me for using the wrong words - unfortunately I don't have technical vocabulary....
I was told by the chap who originally fitted the Manhatten gadgetry that I could not use my recording machine with it. The chap who visited recently said that if I wanted to use my recorder then the dish needed extra gadgetry .... he demonstrated what I needed by pointing to a 'thing' in the middle of the black dish affixed to an external wall - (the 'thing' is shaped like a little fat sausage lol ) my understanding is I either needed another sausage or needed a new dish which had the required elements as integral fittings.

Currently my recorder is tuned into my original TV programmes which use the original aerial. If there is uninterrupted reception via the aerial I can view my old recordings.

Due to my age, I catnap and through the night when most people are asleep the aerial TV actually has programmes such as films/dramas which i like to watch. There are no similar programmes available on the channels via my dish.

MONEY: The rigger who the wind farm recently sent said the cost was F.O.C.
A recorder for attachment to a satelite dish must have two input lead connections at the rear, if it was manufactured for terrestrial recordings via a roof top arial pointing at Winter Hill or Haslingden, then it won't work. I have a recorder upstairs that wil not record via satelite no matter which way I try to connect the set to box & recorder. I only keep it and use it now for copying tapes to DVD's
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-08-2013, 18:52   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Isn't it freesat with a dish and freeview with terestrial reception ?
Nothing's free in this world

I suppose I ought to apologise yet again for not giving the correct nomenclature
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 18:57   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
A recorder for attachment to a satelite dish must have two input lead connections at the rear, if it was manufactured for terrestrial recordings via a roof top arial pointing at Winter Hill or Haslingden, then it won't work. I have a recorder upstairs that wil not record via satelite no matter which way I try to connect the set to box & recorder. I only keep it and use it now for copying tapes to DVD's
I'm nearly past caring - however, the last engineer did say that my recorder would work if connected correctly to the satellite top box plus its dish thingy (if he provided them).
Old 06-08-2013, 19:02   #79

Smile Re: Oswaldtwistle Wind Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB View Post
YOU HAVE THE SAME BOX AS ME YOU NEED A TWIN UNIVERSIAL SATELLITE LNB IT HAS TWO CABLES GOING TO THE BOX ONE FOR THE TUNER AND ONE FOR THE RECORDER Twin Universal Satellite LNB : Satellite LNBs : Maplin Electronics
Aha! thanks..... two thingies = "Twin" = that sounds about right
Old 06-08-2013, 19:11   #80
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysgirl View Post
Nothing's free in this world
There's still 3 things free as yet.
Fresh air, Critisism & Advice, but the Fresh air is difficult to find.
When you find it let me know, I could do with a few lung full.

Last edited by Retlaw; 06-08-2013 at 19:13.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 19:56   #81
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB View Post
YOU HAVE THE SAME BOX AS ME YOU NEED A TWIN UNIVERSIAL SATELLITE LNB IT HAS TWO CABLES GOING TO THE BOX ONE FOR THE TUNER AND ONE FOR THE RECORDER Twin Universal Satellite LNB : Satellite LNBs : Maplin Electronics
No point fitting a twin LNB when quads are cheaper at CPC 300425 - -- - LNB SKY MK3 QUAD | CPC

I would buy a freesat twin input recorder set top box. This will let you watch one program and record another the same way as Sky+ works.

Then put the set top box you have now in another room if you have another TV in the house.

You will need the LNB replacing on your dish for a quad link I linked above. You will need an extra cable running from your dish to your main TV and a cable from your dish to your TV in the other room (if you have one)

Then sell your current recorder as it appears to be no use to you.

Out of interest what channels can your get through your aerial when it works that you can't get on freesat?
Old 08-08-2013, 10:58   #82

Thanks for all the equipment links, the advice and the pointers you've given - it's much appreciated.

I've started to use the computer for viewing TV programmes and I plan to give the recorder to a son, which gets rid of that problem - It was the best recorder I'd had and it was only a few months old when the wind farm upset the apple cart. I used to use the recording facility for channels I wasn't viewing and also whilst I was watching another programme it came in handy if I'd missed a word or phrase (due to old ears), etc., I could immediately replay the scene whilst the machine still carried on recording.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..