Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2004, 11:36   #16
God Member

Re: Out Of Stock

Can't remember if it was a Time or Tiny PC that i was repairing a few months ago, but the componants were physicly GLUED together, it was hell trying to get stuff apart and the guy ended up having to buy a new machine
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-12-2004, 17:07   #17
God Member

I'v seen that as well. Shoddy is one word for them.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 17:16   #18
I am Banned

I know what u mean, tho its not just Curry's, Argos had a panamonium of running out of everything other than the ones no-one wants stuff....like irons pmsl. The Ps2 thing is a scandal u cant order the older version n nothing on the new ?!?!? their computer cocked up on the bundle packages sneaky gets trying to charge a bit extra...lucky i was on the ball with it lol. Luckily managed to sort the main presents out its just now figuring what to get the male side of the family lol. Be glad when this xmas thing is here....another fortnight to go . Anyone recommend a cheap place to go to for good deals on pay as u go new mobeys that has em in stock ?!? LOL
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2004, 08:59   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I know someone who bought a Time PC and it was programmed not to be able to use system restore. A message actually flashed up onto the screen saying that system restore could only be carried out by Time personnel.
I don't see how companies can justify doing things like that.

When you buy a pc, it's yours; not Time's or anyone else's. Yours. Do system restore/upgrade/throw out of the window or do anything else you like with it.

If you want to be led by the nose you'll buy one of those letter fun laptop thingies for kids (they're ok - my son's got one!!!), or (at the risk of upsetting a few people here!) you'll get aol!

People who do system restores are generally those who know what they are doing. And for those who don't, they ask someone who does!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2004, 10:34   #20
God Member

I know what you mean about Time, a friend of mine bought one from them and had no end of problems with it. Finally she junked it and bought a laptop instead, needless to say she has had no problems since. With regard to Comet, I think that they are without doubt the worst electrical retailer in the country. I went into Comet on six separate occaisions to buy different things with the cash fairly burning a hole in my pocket, only to be told every time that the product I wanted was not in stock, but could be ordered for me. "But I need it today", I said. "Sorry", they said. "Stuff it !", I said and walked out. Dixons and Curry's are much the same.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 13-12-2004 at 10:35.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2004, 11:34   #21
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Not sure about Comet, but I had a mate worked for Currys a few years back. Currys and Dixons are the same company, just different names. My mate normally worked in Accy Currys, but sometimes she would have to go and fill in at Dixons. It wouldn't surprise me if Comet was part of that company. They seem to have the monopoly on electrical goods. These large chainstores have got us all by the short and curlies.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2004, 11:43   #22
God Member

Isn't Comet part of Wal-Mart, the same company which owns ASDA?
Old 13-12-2004, 12:03   #23
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I don't know AB, but don't get me started on Wal-mart hehehe..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2004, 12:04   #24
God Member

Oh go on lettie, I'm bored, and need a bit of a diversion.
Old 13-12-2004, 12:13   #25
Senior Member+

I compared prices between having a computer built and buying all the component parts to have a go myself, but it was about £50 more expensive to get it built for me, so I thought 'what the hell' and got them to do it for me!

I will never buy a computer from the high street again!

Old 13-12-2004, 12:18   #26
God Member

Sorry, Vorlon, I may be being a bit thick here, but what do you mean by "High Street"?
Do you mean chain retailers or independent retailers?
Old 13-12-2004, 14:06   #27
Senior Member+

Mainly the big chains - independents tend to be a lot more knowledgeable. I was referring to the likes of Time, PC World, Currys, etc.

Sorry about the confusion

Old 13-12-2004, 14:30   #28
Senior Member+

On the ps2 thing we was all told at work that in actual fact sony hadnt made enough, they have contracts with lots of stores we were told that they couldnt send any ps2s out to one store and not send any to any other stores because if they did sony could be sued for not giving all stores the same chance, thus why sony will stock pile and then just before xmas send them all out.

Although i did find this strange when on friday we got over a hundred sent to our store only to find no-one still had them. And mybe this will answer the question of why there is never anything left of what you want The ps2s were sold out by the next afternoon! so its not because there aint enough stock its because you dont get there first!
you have heard the phrase get there early to avoid disappointment havent you.
I get it all the time because we dont have something in stock "you have ruined my childs xmas i hope your pleased with yourself" like i personally went out and bought everything so that no one else could have one. At the end of the day we can only sell what we are sent we dont order its all done on computer so people are miffed when they find out they cant order it either (again my fault) obviously we cant order our own stock we are a huge toy shop to see what we need to order is big business we only do stock take once a year basically to check the losses for the year evey item in store has to be counted every person is tested on their counting and over 50 employees start at 6pm on sunday night till 11pm sunday night then it starts again the next morning until complete all the store rooms ave to be counted and even down to every pack of battries and ice cream have to be counted so theres why we dont do ordering plus our stock changes daily so we couldnt do it anyway. I dont know about other places but if you ask we will do all we can to help we will ring around other stores for you but at the end of the day if we havent got it , we havent got it , if we can get it for you we will its no good ranting and raving like some people do that wont get you anywhere i tell you what no one would like my job an xmas or after xmas (refunds week).
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2004, 14:41   #29
God Member

>>On the ps2 thing we was all told at work that in actual fact sony hadnt made enough, they have contracts with lots of stores we were told that they couldnt send any ps2s out to one store and not send any to any other stores because if they did sony could be sued for not giving all stores the same chance, thus why sony will stock pile and then just before xmas send them all out.<<

I don't suppose this is anything remotely connected with marketing strategy. No, of course not. That would be implying that Sony purposley kept supply low to increase demand and I am sure that such a reputable company would never indulge in such devious and underhanded techniques. I sometimes think that I am far too cynical for my own good.
Old 13-12-2004, 16:04   #30
Senior Member+

Some people would call you a realist.

I know - I have been called it myself!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..