Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008, 21:59   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

P.C.gone mad?

the archbishop of canterbury in his wisdom today says our laws should change to encompass sharia law,i have never heard a crazier idea in me life, ok he dont want the "Stoning" "Hand Chopping" bits, but says our laws are outdated n need to encompass differant religions/beliefs,etc, so far the reaction from the 3 main parties has been = No Way Hose, but how long before 1 of these prats backs him? for me the law of the land is just that, n sod all to do with ANY religion, be it muslim,catholic,c of e, etc etc, personally i think this cretin should be made to resign, if people coming living here cannot accept " British Law" they should leave PDQ.
Old 07-02-2008, 22:03   #2
God Member

Re: P.C.gone mad?

Politics and religion, the perfect recipe for disaster
Old 07-02-2008, 22:08   #3

Why should the law change to encompass different beliefs?
This is just another example of British ways and ideals trying to be taken away from us.
Like you said if people cannot accept our laws then they know what they can do.

Best Drummer in the land
7/4/2007
The Day The Ultras Formed The Cowshed Choir
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 22:11   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
Why should the law change to encompass different beliefs?
This is just another example of British ways and ideals trying to be taken away from us.
Like you said if people cannot accept our laws then they know what they can do.
yeh but its the head of the "Church Of England" thats suggesting it. glad i'm a catholic.
Old 07-02-2008, 22:22   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Politics and religion, the perfect recipe for disaster
The French government attempted total secularisation of schools. That's where disaster came in. Why? Because they were unwilling to take the time to understand. Ignorance breeds hate.

Most people don't have a clue what Sharia law actually is and react in accordance with how the gutter rag tabloid media in this country has stereotyped the subject.

Religious tolerance and understanding is key to a successful society in a modern world.
We can not continue to trade in a global market with these five hundred year old blinkers on.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 22:29   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
The French government attempted total secularisation of schools. That's where disaster came in. Why? Because they were unwilling to take the time to understand. Ignorance breeds hate.

Most people don't have a clue what Sharia law actually is and react in accordance with how the gutter rag tabloid media in this country has stereotyped the subject.

Religious tolerance and understanding is key to a successful society in a modern world.
We can not continue to trade in a global market with these five hundred year old blinkers on.

so tell that to them, because they sure as hell dont tolerate our bloody religion matey
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 22:37   #7
God Member

What is 'our bloody religion' though? The majority of the population doesn't affiliate to any religion at all. Only the monarchy hold any power intertwined with religion; and I think it's safe to say they are only there for the tourists.

The 'them and us' mentality with religious/cultural differences needs to be laid to rest.
Old 07-02-2008, 22:38   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN RAVER View Post
so tell that to them, because they sure as hell dont tolerate our bloody religion matey
Exactly!
Why are we slowly being robbed of our heritage and cultures?
Surely if people wish to live in our country then they should abide by our laws.

If i was in another country i would respect their culture,when in Rome and all that...

Best Drummer in the land
7/4/2007
The Day The Ultras Formed The Cowshed Choir
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 22:40   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
Dr Rowan Williams said the UK had to "face up to the fact" some citizens do not relate to the British legal system.
How ridiculous. Should we "face up to the fact" that some people don't like the laws that say we can't murder other citizens?
Old 07-02-2008, 22:40   #10
Resident Waffler

Quote:

So where does Sharia law stand on honour killings and enforced marriages?

If people don't like the laws of this land no-one is forcing them to stay here. I wouldn't dream of emmigrating and then expecting the laws of the country I chose to live in to be changed to accommodate me.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 22:45   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:

shaker its sod all to do with the "gutter rag"tabloid, it was the archbishop himself, unless i saw a reporter in fancy dress, theres nothing wrong with religious tolerance, this is about the law of the land.
Old 07-02-2008, 22:51   #12
Senior Member+

what law would you come under if you were religious but the other person wasnt ?
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 22:53   #13

The Archbishop needs to concentrate on his job, give sermons, spread the word of the lord or whatever it is that he does, why he is poking his nose into what or what not should be the law of the land is beyond me. Maybe his collection plate was down a few bob this week.

We have had our law/legal system for centuries, it’s part of our heritage. Choose to live here, then abide by it, if you don’t like it…bail out, simple.
Old 07-02-2008, 23:24   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post

So where does Sharia law stand on honour killings and enforced marriages?

If people don't like the laws of this land no-one is forcing them to stay here. I wouldn't dream of emmigrating and then expecting the laws of the country I chose to live in to be changed to accommodate me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
shaker its sod all to do with the "gutter rag"tabloid, it was the archbishop himself, unless i saw a reporter in fancy dress, theres nothing wrong with religious tolerance, this is about the law of the land.
Cashman, I was making the point that Sharia Law has become an enigma within the British media - I was not disputing the authenticity of what the Archbishop said, or the story that reported it.
Sharia law is blamed for all sorts of things within the media, but details are rarely given as to what part of Sharia law or what interpretation leads a person to commit an act. This paraphrasing (extreme understatement but I'm tired) leads to misunderstanding and people end up believing that the entire structure of it is set up to abuse women and dispose of civil rights.

Willow, it's very easy to say that you would not wish to impose the laws of your religion upon another state should you emigrate to it.
However allow me to make an example. Take a quick look at the case of Sayed Pervez Kambaksh in Afghanistan if you are not already aware of the issue. Sharia law - which is independent of state as it is Islamic - is directly affecting state decisions there.
Now take into account the Roman Catholic stance on contraception despite AIDs epidemics in Africa where millions of it's followers are. That religious body sees fit to judge how people live all over the world, and a few centuries ago would have demanded their way in the state law and took action upon their views.
Why is this so different from how some followers of Islam feel? The ones I am referring to dislike Western anglocentricism and wish to have their voices heard. I believe they have a right to be heard and the right to hold a discussion with the law makers of the country to clarify their feelings.

I personally do not believe any religious body should have any effect on laws further than granting respect to allow a right to religion. However I believe for the British to deem Sharia law as an infiltrator of it's cultural norms and values would be extremely hypocritical. It is nothing but arrogance that suggests Britain is 'beyond religious control of state' when demeaning the views of Muslims.

Despite Britain's vast multiculturalism; it is incredibly blind to any other culture.
Old 07-02-2008, 23:38   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

i'm catholic n do not agree with their stance on quite a few things, but whatever the pope says makes no differance to the law of the land, from where i'm standing the comments of this stupid man, could quite easy lead to civil unrest from BOTH cultures. because as we all are aware there is zealots in both of em. the comments do nothing whatsoever to aid integration, more cause a wider divide.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..