Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-08-2005, 18:00   #1
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
P.C. Gone mad Again!!!!!

I read a circular at work today from one of our unions. It stated that as from 2006 it would no longer be acceptable to refer to people as 'Old George' or 'Young Susan.'

It seems to be P.C. gone daft yet again. It warned managers that they would no longer be able to advertise for - 'young, vibrant people wanted,' and that the Commission for age equality would be coming down like a ton of bricks on anyone who did so.

So I reckon that with the advent of this nonsense from the P.C. brigade they will be coming down like a ton of bricks on Accyweb............ Unless, of course........

Owd Bert changes his user name...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-08-2005, 18:11   #2
God Member

Re: P.C. Gone mad Again!!!!!

PC gone mad they are absolutly bonkers what comes of this it will not be Old Age Pension but Senior Pension young people will be Underdevelpoped people, Well you get my drift. Political Correctness should go its stupid, oops might not be able to say that to learning challanged

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2005, 18:19   #3
Resting in Peace

oh and don't forget Baby Boo etc with "age" related names will have to change.

Sometimes i wish i could use the language that is needed to show the PC lot how we as normal people and with no hang-ups about peoples race, religon, gender, sexual orination, colour, age, employment status, with or with-out criminal records can and do have a fun time and show people the respect that is required when it is needed to be used.
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2005, 18:47   #4
I am Band

Spherical!
And in the plural!

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2005, 19:44   #5
white rabbits

manchester = personchester
blackpool =coloured pool
essex,sussex , middlesex,etc...=??????????????????i dunno

if its not broke why do some potty people have to fix it
Old 17-08-2005, 20:44   #6
Senior Member+

when i was between the ages of 18-25 i worked with a 50 odd yr old bloke who used to call me "owd lad" every day and more than once a day, i found it quite amusing myself that an "owd" bloke could call me "owd" ,its just a term that he had grown up with and he used it as part of his everyday life, and not in the slightest bit was i offended in anyway, before too long we are going to need a whole new dictionary and learn a whole new vocabulary, its pathetic...

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2005, 21:04   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well its utterly bonkers- these numpties will probably end up in enviable positions in life and i will probably end up in court, cos i,m not changing for NOBODY. pmsl
Old 17-08-2005, 21:09   #8
God Member

Errrm, weren't the three attempts to establish such a commission via a private member's bill between 2000 and 2002 unsucessful and the bills either lapsed or were withdrawn?
Old 17-08-2005, 21:54   #9
Give, give, give member

[QUOTE=
blackpool =coloured person[/QUOTE]

Aww Granny that is so un-pc.

Loose ten points.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2005, 06:58   #10
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

This commission for age equality may not go by that name A-B, but that is what it is. The circular that I read was by the Royal College of Midwives. I have to admit I peed myself laughing and gave it to one of the managers for a quick gander...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2005, 07:47   #11
God Member

Its just ridiculois isn't it, where will they draw the line, anyway as far as I'm concerned a blackboard will always be a blackboard, a Wendy house - a Wendy house etc
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2005, 07:57   #12

Hey Grego have you not heard there are no blackboards around now..... only WHITE boards and I don't hear the PC brigade complaining about that!!!! In all honesty there are far more important things to care/worry about in this world than whether someone is using the "correct" language. I also think the PC brigade cause more racial disharmony, sex discrimination e.t.c. than they realise.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2005, 08:11   #13
God Member

I couldn't agree more Debbie.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2005, 10:39   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
I read a circular at work today from one of our unions. It stated that as from 2006 it would no longer be acceptable to refer to people as 'Old George' or 'Young Susan.'

It seems to be P.C. gone daft yet again. It warned managers that they would no longer be able to advertise for - 'young, vibrant people wanted,' and that the Commission for age equality would be coming down like a ton of bricks on anyone who did so.

So I reckon that with the advent of this nonsense from the P.C. brigade they will be coming down like a ton of bricks on Accyweb............ Unless, of course........

Owd Bert changes his user name...
If the health unions are so pc, why is the name Sister still used as a title, when it is normally seen as gender specific?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2005, 14:14   #15
God Member

Are nurses still banned from being over-familiar with patients? There was a furore a couple of years when some barm-pot complained a nurse at BRI called her 'cock'. She demanded an apology from the health authority. All the same these nurses, no respect.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..